Is Release Preview 14393.222 / KB3194496 working for you?

eekaspider

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
On both of my machines (1 desktop, 1 laptop) the upgrade fails and WU reverts to .187. My laptop has attempted the upgrade twice, without success. And it's downloading a third time...

WillBthr

May 8, 2015
Visit site
You're not alone. It appears like there is a crowd and I have yet to see a MS response to the cause, suggestions or advice to just give up.

Albatross2

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Having the same problem on an older Dell XPS-13. Update appears to finish, then says can't complete and rolls back. Failed 4 times for me now.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Same thing happened to me. My SP4 updated after failing once, but my S3 repeatedly failed (4 times). So I got sick of it and reset/ refreshed the S3 and all the updates including this latest Cumulative Update installed just fine. Only problem - the indexing on the S3 takes a looooong time!!!

sean8102

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Same issue here. Not in insider program, currently running 14393.187 build. Recieved cumulative update 3194496 through WU, downloaded just fine. Rebooted it was installing and then it ends up saying install failed reverting changes. Everything is still working just fine thankfully, but update wont install. I've tried twice. There are several posts on the Windows 10 subreddit of people having the same issue.

I also found this thread on Microsofts forums of several people that are having the same issues.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...e/7b63eb85-3320-4a4b-bc71-bb4de869b13f?page=1

There is at least on Microsoft employee response on the first page asking for people to upload their Windows update logs to his onedrive. I went ahead and did that, hopefully it helps, and at least they are aware of it.

Daniel Gilbert M

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
Working fine on my desktop.
Updated without any hiccups.

The previous update had the same issue as many of you in this thread have and I had to download and install the update manually from Microsoft Update Catalogue.

sean8102

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Working fine on my desktop.
Updated without any hiccups.

The previous update had the same issue as many of you in this thread have and I had to download and install the update manually from Microsoft Update Catalogue.

That's what I'am wanting to try, but it seems that this update has not made its way to the update website yet.

Also having the same issue of rebooting, it gets to 100% of the install and then says it failed and reverts the changes. I found this thread on Microsofts site of other people having the problem.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...e/7b63eb85-3320-4a4b-bc71-bb4de869b13f?page=1

I guess they know what it is, however my PC is not currently participating in the insider program and I'am having this install issue. I'm guessing/hoping whatever they come up with will just fix it for everyone having the problem.

ajIPCif.png

zocster

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
very odd, I just done my sp2 also on this, with 0 issues. Let's hope they fix it soon. I'm trying my even older laptop now....

anon(10041226)

Sep 30, 2016
Visit site
In the past I have had a lot of trouble with 10
But what I do now is run ........... disk clean up...........
and clean system files, after several updates
download went OK and installed fine no problems
System is still slow

sean8102

May 15, 2012
Visit site
In the past I have had a lot of trouble with 10
But what I do now is run ........... disk clean up...........
and clean system files, after several updates
download went OK and installed fine no problems
System is still slow

Gave disk cleanup a go, and tend to run it on a regular basis but no go. First time I've had any issue like this my self. Its not to bad since it reverts from the failed update just fine. Whats annoying is Windows Update just re-downloads the update and wants to install it again over and over. So anytime I reboot I have to sit through the install, fail, revert crap each time. Hope for a fix soon!

jdpg2

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I think Windows Central should to post an Article to its main page about how so many of us cant run this update. Maybe Microsoft will do something, their insiders forum for this issue is at 12 pages already and growing.

I have three machines caught in the install /uninstall loop now and it getting old (and taxing my NVMe drives as well)

sean8102

May 15, 2012
Visit site
For anyone that is bothered by this enough to get their hands a little dirty I found a method that works to get this update installed. Be warned you have to create a Windows 10 bootable USB drive, boot to it, and do some command prompt stuff. For most people it's def gonna be best to wait for Microsoft to release a fix, but thought I would share because it did work for me. I am now on the 14393.222 build and Windows Update says no updates available.

The fix is the second post on the linked page below.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...1-bb4de869b13f?page=15&rtAction=1475299627284

sean8102

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I figured out a super easy fix. I used the "Media creation tool" from the Microsoft site. Let it download the latest ISO of Windows 10. Then picked the "upgrade this PC now" option. It asked if I wanted to let it download updates, I said yes. At the end it said that it would upgrade/install Windows and that I would keep my files/documents/applications etc etc. I clicked ok, it did some installing and rebooting, and 30 mins later I was right back up and running with the latest update successfully installed.

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...ftware-download%2Fwindows10%2F&token=ET4SpbAB

Several people in the Microsoft forums I linked in the above comment have used this method and said it worked perfectly for them as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte