Lumia 950 Keeps crashing

christianmonk3y

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
Over the last week my Lumia 950 Dual Sim has started crashing a rebooting consistently every few minutes and then goes through a period of working well for a few hours then i swipe down from the notification area and its crashes again. I wasnt on the insider programme, just normal updates so was on the latest version, 10.0.14393.189. I did a soft reset to start with to no avail. I then removed the SD which did nothing. I removed the sim cards again nothing to prevent it restarting. I switched the SIM cards around and had some luck until the evening when it staretd rebooting again. I then decided to enroll in the release preview to see if that sorted the problem nope. Finally i went to the Fast ring to see if that would do anything. and it worked for about 5 hours with a hard reset. The only thing i havent tried is to use the device recovery tool but i am not holding out much luck, Anyone got any suggestions as to why the phone would suddenly starting doing this?

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Over the last week my Lumia 950 Dual Sim has started crashing a rebooting consistently every few minutes and then goes through a period of working well for a few hours then i swipe down from the notification area and its crashes again. I wasnt on the insider programme, just normal updates so was on the latest version, 10.0.14393.189. I did a soft reset to start with to no avail. I then removed the SD which did nothing. I removed the sim cards again nothing to prevent it restarting. I switched the SIM cards around and had some luck until the evening when it staretd rebooting again. I then decided to enroll in the release preview to see if that sorted the problem nope. Finally i went to the Fast ring to see if that would do anything. and it worked for about 5 hours with a hard reset. The only thing i havent tried is to use the device recovery tool but i am not holding out much luck, Anyone got any suggestions as to why the phone would suddenly starting doing this?

It needed simply a hard reset, like desktops

christianmonk3y

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
Device was rebooting fully. Strangely it has now stopped doing it, although i have not understood why it has suddenly stopped, i changed nothing...odd

SethGlenn

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I too am experiencing random and frustrating reboots. It happens at random times during the day, and sometimes multiple times in a row. Nothing has been consistent about when it happens. It could be while I'm texting, or opening an app, or trying to open from the lock screen. I am not an insider, and have done manual shut downs and restarts and soft restarts. This is very frustrating as the release version should not be having these issues. I feel like it's been happening a lot since the ATT Double tap to wake update finally hit.

mexluthor

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
After this last update, my 950 has now started rebooting randomly, not connecting to any internet WiFi or even my LTE.
Not sure what to do, but I feel like throwing this phone out the window

christianmonk3y

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
I feel your pain, I am happy to note that my phone suddenly stopped doing these random restarts. But why would it suddenly become a problem. I am now on the insider and am happy that problems have become less

rishm

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Please check your battery - is it swollen? A smile test is to put the battery on a flat / glass table and spin it; if it spins, the battery has gone bad.
I found battery to be the reason of several reboots per days. I exchanged it with my fathers 950XL & then phone too had reboots.
Haven't been able to find a replacement battery since 2 weeks... what a shame! Brick in the name of flagship device.

bpsmicro

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Also consider whether your microSD card is dying. These things *do* have a limited life span, and *do* fail. Depending on what, and how much you have on it, I'd be willing to bet that a failing card would cause unpleasant things to happen in the OS, and there probably isn't as much error-tolerance as we'd like, so the phone compensates by crashing.

My youngun's 640 apparently crashes at somewhat random times (and it's not on Insider), and I'm pretty convinced that it's because he's been swapping around the same microSD for years, and it's going flaky. I've told him to swap it out, but since he'd rather complain than act, he hasn't gotten around to it yet. :)

Blake Seaman

May 10, 2014
Visit site
I've had this issue through two software recoveries, two phones, and two batteries; same problem throughout. It was suggested that a potential source of problem is the backcover being loose enough that the battery actually rattles around a bit inside the phone, not making good contact with the power leads. I'm going to try it myself when I get to the office, but the reported fix was folding up a piece of paper and putting it between the battery and back cover for a more snug fit.

wantshislglotusback

Dec 1, 2016
Visit site

finally, somebody that understands my pain. i thought it was just my first phone, but day two and the replacement phone is doing the same thing. TBH i dont think i need a smart phone anymore. i am beginning to hate all of the major platforms equally.

tonik1001

Dec 5, 2016
Visit site
Blake- Your tip seems to be working for me. I cut a small piece of cardboard from my box of Advil, folded it and inserted between the back cover and battery. My phone has not rebooted since.
Its looking a lot like the reboots were/are caused by loss of battery contact. In my case, its very possible because I have dropped my phone several times and the mozo back cover I use offers no protection whatsoever.
Thanks for the tip again Blake - Kept me from closing in on insanity trying to figure out why the phone kept rebooting constantly.

-Tonik

DanCurranJr

May 17, 2017
Visit site

See: Microsoft Lumia 950 Crashes, Reboots and Locks Up (SOLVED!) | Daniel B. Curran Jr.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven