Win10 stops recognizing external drives

AdamInTx

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi Guys, I'm having an issue with Windows 10 failing to recognize external hard drives it has recognized many times in the past, including some that are always plugged into the computer. This all started on either Monday or over this past weekend as everything was working just fine last Friday. Anyhow, I'll go to open something off an external drive, or plug in a thumb drive, and I notice that none of my external usb drives are being recognized. If I go into the device manager all the USB Mass Storage Devices show as having a yellow exclamation point. So.... I go and uninstall them and after a reboot everything works great. Fast forward two days to today and again the same thing has happened. This is incredibly strange as these drives have worked with this computer since pretty much the day I got it and now all of a sudden I'm getting this.

Any ideas what might cause this to happen?

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi! I'm not having your problem! It's good that you can fix the issue by going into the devise manager. My advise is never leave external drives plugged in. A Virus could corrupt your PC and your external drives. It's strange that you keep getting the yellow exclamation marks. To me that means a driver problem and a restart fixes the issue. It's patch Tuesday again, so might see if your issue is fixed after the update!:wink:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro