It's patch Tuesday! ... Again there are problems!

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi It's patch Tuesday again and again there are problems. I would like to share my experience with you and hope this helps some one. I don't know why MS has made these dang updates so hard to down load. Patch Tuesday down loaded, then required a restart. I did a restart. My PC restarted several times and then sit with the little circle of spinning dots for two hours. I'm sure all have seen that before. I waited two hours and then done a hard shut down and then powered up.
Got the same spinning dots. This time I hit CTRL+ALT+DEL. Blue screen came on with the percentage of upgrade and completed with in seconds. My conclusion is that the updates get hung up and a hard shut down is required. Any way the above is the procedure that worked for me.
Here are the patch Tuesday updates. Please let me know if you have any problems down loading them! I hope this helps someone here on the forum!

Attachments

• Capture25.JPG
    Capture25.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 8

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
With all due respect ...
I'm updating 2 laptops & 1 mobile phone (lumia1520) & have experienced zero issues. I'm sure some have had issues, but, the majority ???

Interesting poll, should someone decide to launch it.

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
With all due respect ...
I'm updating 2 laptops & 1 mobile phone (lumia1520) & have experienced zero issues. I'm sure some have had issues, but, the majority ???

Interesting poll, should someone decide to launch it.
I just report what my experience has been with windows updates. I'm glad that you haven't had any bad experiences. I think it would make a great poll. I didn't post this for the majority who aren't having issues. I created it for those users that are having problems. I'm not a newbie in the computer world! Tuesday was patch Tuesday, so lets see if we have any members experience the issue I had with the patch!
Thanks for your reply!:wink:

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi Guys and Gals! I don't have a clue why some users have problems and others don't. I have a 5 year old Toshiba laptop. Maybe that's why the updates give me problems. I just posted here to tell users how I got the latest patch Tuesday to down load. I can guarantee you this much that my PC is well maintained and this is not my first rodeo. I have been around the block a couple of times and I'm not a stranger to help forums.
Here's a little tip I have used before and it worked for me. This is a fix by a well know author and is my hero and idol.(Shawn Brink):wink:
Windows Update - Reset in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Charles Brown8

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
Hmmm.. My Asus is ancient too.. X44h core i3 etc etc.. Don't think it's got to do so much with the actual age of the device bit rather the OEM providing compatable drivers if on non standard hardware..

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi @ Charles! You're probably right on about the age. Here's a good read about Windows updates. I'm sure you are a power PC user and familiar with all this, but maybe other members here might enjoy this link!:wink: I'm thinking this thread might draw a lot of attention and I'm hoping for more replies like yours.
The case against Windows 10 Anniversary Update grows | InfoWorld
PS I have spent a lot of time researching this subject, and there are many problems for users of W10 and their updates, which most of us can't avoid.We can put them off for awhile, but sooner or latter Microsoft is going to force them on us. That might turn out to be a good thing. I guess time will tell.:wink:

Last edited:

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi Gals and Guys Here's my programs. Doubt if this helps! I can also post my power options if you want. I will tell you that I have my PC set to never sleep. I'm sure there is something that causes me grief on the cumulative updates but I haven't figured it out. The anniversary update caused me the same problem as this last Tuesday patch caused me. This time I got a little smarter and got the update to install by powering down, then powering up and then using CTRL+ALT+DEL. I got lucky:wink:
I can probably attach any information you ask for! It would be super if we could find out why this happens to some of us, and not others. I doubt if the fix is the same for everyone. It never is! It's late. I'll see you tomorrow!:wink: I'm really enjoying this forum.

Attachments

• Capture25.JPG
    Capture25.JPG
    185.4 KB · Views: 4

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Gals and Guys Here's my programs. Doubt if this helps! I can also post my power options if you want. I will tell you that I have my PC set to never sleep. I'm sure there is something that causes me grief on the cumulative updates but I haven't figured it out. The anniversary update caused me the same problem as this last Tuesday patch caused me. This time I got a little smarter and got the update to install by powering down, then powering up and then using CTRL+ALT+DEL. I got lucky:wink:
I can probably attach any information you ask for! It would be super if we could find out why this happens to some of us, and not others. I doubt if the fix is the same for everyone. It never is! It's late. I'll see you tomorrow!:wink: I'm really enjoying this forum.

i have set my wifi as a metered connection so only critical updates get downloaded, hopefully they are better tested. havent had issues yet.

xFalk

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
My 5+ year old laptop had no issues with the update but my wife's Dell 2-in-1 is having the same update issue with being stuck on a blank screen with the little spinning wheel. Tried the Ctrl+Alt+DEl thing but it didn't work. Any other suggestions?

Last edited:

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
My 5+ year old laptop had no issues with the update but my wife's Dell 2-in-1 is having the same update issue with being stuck on a blank screen with the little spinning wheel. Tried the Ctrl+Alt+DEl thing but it didn't work. Any other suggestions?
Hi You might try a sfc /scannow and DISM. You could try a update reset. Did it update to the anniversary addition? Here's some links! I would let it run at least 6-8 hours!
How to Repair Corrupted Windows System Files with the SFC and DISM Commands
Windows Update - Reset in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon