Windows 10 Laptop Won't Boot Up - Someone Please Help! :'(

Sarah Williamson1

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Hello Geniuses!

I have ben here for help before and it has worked perfectly. You're all amazing, intelligent souls so I know this is the best place to come for something a bit more technical and more help.

Last night, my laptop just decided to die. I don't know what happened to it. All of a sudden when I switched it on, it started up with a grey screen and it was only by googling every question I could think of and sheer blind luck - and pressing the Windows button and P at the same time, which was a bit dodgy but that seemed to do something, that I managed to get into something that let me choose to reset the laptop completely. So that is what I did, and left it to do it's thing. I was then able to set up the laptop initially by choosing the language abd keyboard layout, etc, and I was able to log on to our wifi too.

Next when I switched it on, all looked well, Toshiba screen came and went and then the familiar blue screen with spinning dots appeared, and it hung around for longer than usual. It eventually went, after me switching off and on the laptop again, and it moved on further still to ask me if I wanted to make a Dropbox account or just cancel that window, I chose to cancel the window. Then the screen just went black. And stayed black. And wouldn't move on. So I pressed the power button and switched it off and on again and still nothing. So I pressed the button to switch it off and I left it off as I have had to go out. I am writing this from my phone.

Can anyone tell me what to do next? F8 won't work. CTRL+ALT+DEL won't work. Everything I have seen on Youtube for a 'guaranteed fix' for this problem won't work. I am at the end of my teather and so frustrated and annoyed.

And I know I am likely going to get a bollocking from someone on here for it but I don't have. 'back up' disc. I never got one with the laptop and I have never known how to make one either. Wouldn't have mattered in this case as my laptop doesn't have a rom drive in it. (What idiots do that these days?!)

Any help would be very much appreciated as I feel like I have come to a dead end. My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite.

Thank You.

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi I have a Toshiba Satellite and it has a DVD drive. It seems to me that your going to need some kind a installation media. You will need a different PC to create the media. Hope you have a friend with a computer!:wink: You could try getting into the advanced start up mode.
Start your computer and follow the POST, when Windows should begin loading, press the power button to shutdown your computer.

Repeat the previous step twice, and in the third restart the operating system should enter into the Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE), where a number of diagnostics will be performed to try fix any booting issues, but you will also get an option to access the Windows Startup Settings

Here's a link for the media creation tool.
https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...ftware-download%2Fwindows10%2F&token=eWlJ_GiK

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ The media creation tool is a Windows program. You can't run it on OSX. So, you will need (a) an empty >=4GB USB thumb drive (b) the media creation tool and (c) a working computer that runs Windows (or a Mac with bootcamp).

Note that there are multiple ways to install Windows from installation media, and most of them will delete everything on your C: drive. If you saved important documents or configurations on your C: drive, those will all be irrecoverably deleted. Just FYI.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ not that important. Make the bootable USB drive with the media creation tool. Insert it into the PC and ensure the BIOS is set to boot from the USB drive. Doing so will start the Windows installation process. Do NOT select the option to repair Windows. You'll want to install a fresh copy of Windows. Once that completes (can take a while), you should check the Windows Device Manager. If it shows you any errors you'll have to download a driver or two from Toshiba's support website for your device. Lastly, you'll have to reinstall the software you use.

Assuming your hardware isn't broken, that will get you back to where you can use your device.

Sarah Williamson1

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Holdum, will do. And your tip about the three times on and off thing did work (I just cocked it up first time) and I got through to that blue screen where there was a Toshiba option to use a Toshiba recovery tool so I used that to 'recover to out of the box condition' and it worked!

Thanks for all your advice people. I know this is the best help forum for Windows in the world! ☺

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi Sarah! I very glad to hear that you got your issue solved ! Not many know about the three times on and off trick. I'm glad it worked for you.
Thanks for posting back with your progress. You have just made my day! Happy computering :wink:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs