Can you actualy recommend a Windows Phone nowadays?

VetDuarte

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Strange, I use google calendar primarily and it all shows up really well. Works so well that it's been tough for me to transition to outlook since I already had everything set up in google calendar and shared calendars with my wife and of our kids. Been using it like that for 3/4 years.

Unless it's android specific thing.

Otherwise I don't have a problem recommending windows mobile but with the caveat that if the person is into apps well they would have to know what they really are looking for to see if there is an option.
I've just updated to the last build and still it can't update my Google Calendar properly.
And it's not just the recurrent appointments. Regular ones too, and it seems randomic. Some get updated, some just don?t. I've played with settings but there's nothing to do.
It's just unreliable. It's not an Android thing, since it doesn?t happen when I try with iOS.

mweflen

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I got a 950 recently (right after the price drop), and I have been consistently pleased with it. So the answer to your question is "YES, but" - with a caveat for a specific kind of user (one that I happen to be).

If you are into the latest apps and need to keep up with your friends and relatives on this score, W10M is not for you. The same goes for add-on services such as mobile payment and the like. MS seems to be interested in providing these things, but not as fast and not as robust as Apple/Google.

If, however, you enjoy Windows generally, and are into the idea of re-sizable live tiles, then W10M is a good fit. If you want mobile photography at a high level, but don't want to pay $700 for one of the flagship competitors, the 950 specifically is a really good deal for you right now.

On the 950 - I have found it to be very reliable. I am on Insider Release Preview ring. The OS is smooth and a pleasure to navigate. The camera is very good, and generally outperforms its iOS and Android competitors in day to day use. Battery life is average - all day is no problem. The display is beautiful and the touch action is responsive. Expandable SD storage and replaceable battery (if you can find one, anyway) are a godsend, especially for photography and music lovers. The big knocks on it are heat and battery - it gets rather warm playing a game like Angry Birds Star Wars, and so I would not recommend this phone for heavy gamers. Heavy Google service users might find issues, but W10M plays reasonably well with Google Calendar and Gmail, if that's all you need.

The future is in flux. People are rightfully worried about W10M lasting more than another year or two. But given an average 1-3 year useful lifespan for a device, I don't think a 950 is a bad bet right now. Most people in the know seem to believe that W10M is in a sort of dormant phase and that MS has plans for it in 2018, anyway. But even if they don't, it's not like your phone will just stop working. It will still browse the web, make calls, take pictures, and share them to Facebook, even if current W10M apps are abandoned in a year or two.

donkiluminate

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I bought my mom a Lumia 635 a couple years ago because I personally believe WP is the easiest mobile OS and since my mom isn't exactly a power user the lack of apps didn't really concern me or her at the time.

However, two years later, I'm looking to replace her phone for her and I'm really questioning if I should get her another windows phone. It's not just the dearth of apps, it's the uncertainty of the OS and lack of trust in MS that they will continue to advance the OS in a meaningful way.

Heck, I've been telling myself for a year now that if a flagship device were to ever be released by T-mobile I would make WM10 my daily driver again(I need wifi calling). But with the inevitable release of the Alcatel Idol Pro 4 I'm starting to question whether I really will go back to WM10. I've gotten spoiled by apps and I don't think I can justify having a flagship WM device and not being able to do half of what similarly spec'd Android and iOS devices .

Niry

Oct 24, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the answers guys :)
Actualy it seems to fit me well but KakaoTalk is pretty much the most important app for me since it?s way more popular than whatsapp here in Korea.
Guess I just have to spend a little more for a decent android device then , thanks.

Devan Hammack

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I like WPs too, but I just wish there was an application for my SirusXM radio. This I miss and the lack of this app may cause me to leave Windows Phone for awhile. I do miss my satellite radio that I had with my iPhone.

omg, satellite radio? Ouch...
I've strongly suggest trying something else out... Pandora, Groove, Spotify.

StayClassy101

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I think it is worth it. Especially if you can migrate whatever apps you don't use. I use an iPhone SE but just bought a 640 & 650 Lumia because I missed part of the Microsoft ecosystem. Now I'll be going between these three devices. A 950 I would get in a heartbeat if i could

PoorInRichfield

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Now, with Windows 10 Mobile, things have gone off the rails. Reliability took a dump, as did overall performance. App quality (even native MS apps) is noticeably poor, boot times can be measured with a calendar and none of the slickness of WP7 is left. My 950 is the worst phone I've ever owned. Just this afternoon I tried to take a screenshot and for whatever reason it wouldn't save it. Eventually the image did show up in the pictures app, but it wouldn't allow me to crop it. Endless glitches, problems and random failures are the hallmark of W10M (in my experience). Attempting even the simplest of tasks can be an exercise in abject frustration.
My experience is the same as Craig's. I've been with Windows Phone since the beginning and I love the OS... other than it's getting so buggy that I'm now considering switching to another platform. I have a 950XL and my wife has a 950. I thought she was just being an anti-tech complainer when she'd tell me on a nearly daily basis what wasn't working on her phone. After the last major update to Windows Mobile, I too have issues on a nearly daily basis. I can't even blame bad apps because I hardly have any apps on the phone that didn't come with it!

Yes, the camera is very nice, but unless you're a hardcore Microsoft fan, I can't say that I'd recommend the current Lumia phones.

becakmang

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
My experience is the same as Craig's. I've been with Windows Phone since the beginning and I love the OS... other than it's getting so buggy that I'm now considering switching to another platform. I have a 950XL and my wife has a 950. I thought she was just being an anti-tech complainer when she'd tell me on a nearly daily basis what wasn't working on her phone. After the last major update to Windows Mobile, I too have issues on a nearly daily basis. I can't even blame bad apps because I hardly have any apps on the phone that didn't come with it!

Yes, the camera is very nice, but unless you're a hardcore Microsoft fan, I can't say that I'd recommend the current Lumia phones.

I haven't had my of these issues, and I'm on the slow build. In saying that, i do agree on the last part. The current Lumia feels like a beta phone. Microsoft is fine tuning things, trying ti make the os mature. I doubt there will be a surface phone just quite yet. I think Microsoft will wait for another 2 years before they upgrade 950xl, whether its the lumia____ or an actual surface phone.

They've just reached their all time sp. I doubt this is the end of wp.

Player Piano

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
I cannot recommend WM to anyone in its current state. In fact I’ve taken away both of nieces W10M phones (L640s, upgrades from their 521s which they were very reluctant to replace since they liked them so much) and got them iPhones when the SE launched.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro