Edge & outlook mail wont open on continuum keeps crashing

Bretagne1989

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Hi to all.

I have a 950xl which is running the latest build 14951 as i am on the insider builds of course. I am using a hd-10 Miracast which i am running continuum through. All has been perfect up till now !

Continuum starts up perfect but when i want to open edge it starts to open then crashes and goes back to the desktop screen. It's the same thing for my outlook email it opens up for about 5 seconds then crashes back to desktop !!! If i use Cortana she works perfectly but i still can't open the web through her what ever i click on edge just crashes. She still speaks though !

Not sure if the latest build on my 950xl is causing the issues !! One thing i have noticed though is that when i use my phone as the touch pad it says at the top " the accessory your connecting to isn't working properly with continuum a firmware update may help " ?
I am guessing my hd-10 Miracast may need a update but how do you do that ??? I have not reset my Miracast yet so may do that shortly, got to find something tiny to ***** the reset button!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Bretagne.

Stephen Blain

May 3, 2016
Visit site
I am having the same problem on my 950. Outlook, Calendar, and Edge all crash in 'Continuum' mode while connected to my Microsoft Wireless Adapter. On build: 14961.1000

doofusMcGoofus

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
Same problem. It's not only Edge and Outlook. You can add all Office apps to the list. I have a 950XL on a previous build to yours: 10.0.14946.1000. I have reported this to the abyss AKA the Feedback Hub. I'm sure they'll get right on it :wink: ; I reported this 2 weeks ago.

I have found that after a reboot of the phone, you might be able to run Office apps other than Outlook for a bit. But as soon as you open Outlook, all MS Office apps will crash after that.

Bretagne1989

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Hi to all.

Really appreciate your feedback guys. Least it's just not me with this issue. Really hope we get this sorted though i really miss my continuum!!

Least i know it is not just 14951 build having the problems !

Any fixes please let us all know.

Many thanks,

Bretagne.

Bretagne1989

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Just updated my 950xl to the new build 14955 and continuum is still the same while using the Miracast !!

The usual outlook mail, calendar, and edge crash as soon as you open them !!!!

This really needs to get sorted asap as we cant use continuum !!!!

daimv

May 21, 2015
Visit site
I use Edge in Continuum pretty often and I haven't had this issue. How many tabs do you have open? Maybe you have too many and that's why it crashes
... Dunno, maybe try cleaning cache/history...

Bretagne1989

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Hi daimv.

Thanks for your reply. I have no tabs open and it just crashes !! Tried cleaning the history too but still the same !! So gutted as i can't use continuum at the moment !!

Maybe a wired dock will be the answer ? But Miracast should work ! I like the idea of Miracast as there is no wires. I am waiting for the price of Microsoft display docks to come down then i will get one .

If any body has any ideas how to fix this problem please let us all know.

Thanks.

Bretagne.

daimv

May 21, 2015
Visit site
This is a really weird issue... I use it with Miracast mostly (with a MS Wireless display adapter v2) and all's good. Even used it today.
Edge without continuum works fine? Aldo, what happens if you open edge on the phone(i.e. Not on the continuum screen) while connected to continuum, browse to some website and then without closing it you open edge from continuum? It should open in the website you had open.
Also how are your settings configured? For example is edge allowed to work in background? There might be something weird in the settings or in edge's, though I can't be sure.

Also do other browsers work fine? E.g. Monument browser (which can have multiple websites on screen at the same time)

Bretagne1989

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Hi Daimv.
Thanks again for your help. It certainly is strange !! I tried what you said about opening edge on my phone then opening edge on continuum and wow it works !! Tried the same thing with outlook mail and calendar they both worked too for about 10 seconds but then crashed as before returning to the start screen. Still least Edge works this way !!!

I also noticed though if you try use Cortana to find something online it won't work !! Also once one of these programs crash on continuum and you try open it on your phone it will do the same on the phone crash back to the start screen ! The only way around this is to disconnect from continuum then reconnect !!!

I looked at my settings and could not find anything to cause a issue.

We are at least making some improvement.

Thanks guys.

lkpchennai

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
I do have the same issue.. Interestingly I bought a new Samsung monitor today (curved display), first I thought it's the monitor which is not compatible.. Spent 2-3 hours trying various option, finally landed in this thread.. At least I am happy that problem is not with the monitor, otherwise I have had to return it tomorrow!!!
This is a serious issue definitely need some fix by MS. Everything was working fine toll yesterday.

Bretagne1989

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Hi ikpchennai.

Thanks for the reply. Least we know there are other people out there with our issues!!!

I have downloaded the monument browser which Daimv said too so i am going to give this a try later tonight instead of edge and see what happens.

Still it won't fix the crashing issus with outlook mail, calendar, all the work apps such as word, excel and powerpoint.
Plus there is Cortana which is not searching online or opening any online pages !!!

This is a really serious issue which Microsoft needs to resolve asap !!! I used to use continuum for working at home but now i am back to my laptop!!!

Anymore feedback is really appreciated.

Thanks.

Bretagne.

daimv

May 21, 2015
Visit site
Word/excel/powerpoint too? I use Powerpoint all of the time with Continuum and it works perfectly, it is awesome actually, one of the things I like most about continuum.
Do you have the apps set to allow in the background? I don't know what might be causing this but it might be something related to your particular configuration, also there is a chance you are suffering from different bugs in different apps. Try changing some settings and see what happens. Also is your Miracast device's firmware updated? And your OS and your own phone's firmware

daimv

May 21, 2015
Visit site
I just saw you are on insider build... I can't say for sure, but maybe that is the cause, be sure to report it to Microsoft it that is the case.

daimv

May 21, 2015
Visit site
Also, try with a wired screen or a different Miracast adapter and see if that changes anything. As for updating the firmware of your adapter, it would be better for you to google just that, can't help you there.

lkpchennai

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
I think issue must be with latest Insider build.. I am on Insider fast ring, had updated to the latest build 3 days back, since then I am having exactly the same issue.. Unfortunately I don't have (wired) display dock, so can't test.. But something broken in this build causing issue with wireless display adapter..

Bretagne1989

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys.

Yea I'm afraid word/Excel and powerpoint don't work. Plus Cortana online, email and calendar !!! I have looked at all the settings on these programs but can't see any issues which would cause this problem ??

Me too i only have the Microsoft hd-10 Miracast not a wired dock as of yet but a wired display dock is certainly on my shopping list.
In my first post i said When i first connect to my Microsoft hd-10 Miracast it does say a message at the top " the accessory you are connecting too is not working properly with Continuum, a firmware update may help".
I don't know if you have this message come up on your screen too Ikpchennai ?? I have no idea how to update the Microsoft hd-10 Miracast but i will be looking tonight to see how ? If anybody knows how to update this firmware please let us know,thanks.

As you say we are on the inside builds which i must say this last one 14955 is brilliant no issues at all apart from this but still not sure if it is these insider builds causing it yet ??

Let's hope we get to the bottom of this asap. Would be good to know if anybody is running a normal build and using a Miracast device if they have the same issues so we can eliminate the insider builds or not ??

Cheers for the help guys.

Bretagne.

lkpchennai

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi Bretagne

I do get the same error message, now I have reported in Insider feedback (I could see few others have also reported same problem)

Attachments

• 67629.jpg
    67629.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 20

lkpchennai

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
Firmware for my wires display adapter is upto date.
You have to download "Wireless Display Adapter" app from the store. In the menu there is a Firmware tab, go there and download latest firmware.. It will do the rest... I did this a month back when I check it now it gives a message that latest firmware is already installed. So I believe it's nothing to do with the adapter firmware rather something is broken in the latest build.
When I was going thru the change log, I can see a new continuum feature has been added where in you can cast the screen to Windows 10 PC without using Miracast adapter!!! Introduction of thus feature might have screwed up something..

Bretagne1989

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Hi Ikpchennai.

Cheers for your screen shot and reply. It certainly has cleared up that it could be the firmware on my Hd-10 Miracast causing the issue obviously not.
Thanks for the help on updating the firmware too. I guess this can be done by using a phone as i don't have a laptop just tablets and phones ? Will try this later. As you say i think it's the latest build causing issues !!
Me too i have also put this on the feedback site so hopefully Microsoft is looking into a fix for this big issue.

Thanks again.

Bretagne.

lkpchennai

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
With the latest build I don't find any issue with office or edge , but I still get the firmware upgrade message .. At least I am able to manage my work ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99