Why Not? Moto Lapdock + USB C Digital AV Multiport Adapter

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so admittedly I'm not sure 'triggers' the phone to go into continuum mode.

However, why can't I just plug a USB-C Digital AV Multiport adapter (@$30.00) on Amazon, get the right couple of cables and hook it up to the old Motorola Lapdock?

The lapdock has a HDMI connection for its display and a USB connection for keyboard & mouse.

Thoughts? Has this been tried?

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Looking like most folks trying the similar setup with a Raspberry Pi are having issues with the best model, the Lapdock 500. So, it would appear to be best to stick with the Atrix/Bionic lapdock.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
jOMLotU.jpg

R4ZtkEO.jpg
Looking like most folks trying the similar setup with a Raspberry Pi are having issues with the best model, the Lapdock 500. So, it would appear to be best to stick with the Atrix/Bionic lapdock.
You win the prize! LapDock 500 is a no go. Have one, never worked (yet). Bionic LapDock works!!

Hooked it up with a Sceenbeam Mini 2 Continuum Edition and a female micro HDMI to female HDMI adapter for the male micro HDMI input on the LapDock. Also used a female micro USB (at the LapDock) to male USB cable (connected at a USB port on the Sceenbeam) to activate the keyboard and trackpad on the LapDock.

ssYyRJe.jpg

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

SlideWRX

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I have a Bionic (I think) version coming for Christmas; I am going to try it out. :) Good to know it works! I'll use the Microsoft display dock first, and if everything goes well, buy a cheaper/smaller dock to use with it.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
For my setup, I'm using a Lapdock 100. I chose that model specifically hoping that once I get a stable wired solution, I'll be able to stuff it all inside the lapdock under the keyboard. That solution would give me 1 usb-c cable plugged directly into the lapdock. No dongles or other equipment needed.

So far, the lapdock boots up for 5 seconds, displays continuum & keyboard/mouse work, then shuts off. (Not recognizing a connection...) So, I'm trying the raspberry pi cable splice trick next.

We'll see how it goes. It'd be nice to get this working, but we'll see.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
The other option (maybe more elegant) is to bury the wireless dongle in the laptop. I would like the 60 fps of the wired solution over the 30 fps of wireless. Also assuming lower power consumption if its wired...but who knows.

SlideWRX

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I couldn't quite get myself to try the 100 - It was just too small. My main computers for the last... maybe ten years? has been 17" laptops. we'll see how the bionic 11.6" plays out. I wanted the 500 but couldn't find any; plus with the connection issues it is maybe for the better.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I couldn't quite get myself to try the 100 - It was just too small. My main computers for the last... maybe ten years? has been 17" laptops. we'll see how the bionic 11.6" plays out. I wanted the 500 but couldn't find any; plus with the connection issues it is maybe for the better.

Yep, I only picked the 100 b/c I was hoping to stuff whatever my connection solution was, into the larger base. However, as it stands right now, the 100 isn't working with Continuum. It'll turn on, show the Continuum screen for a couple seconds and then shut off. So, something isn't right.

Same holds true for my MS Wireless Display adapter...though, that never shows on the screen.

I'd prefer a wired solution so I'll try the modified cable next.

Jason Neenos

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
Ok, so admittedly I'm not sure 'triggers' the phone to go into continuum mode.

However, why can't I just plug a USB-C Digital AV Multiport adapter (@$30.00) on Amazon, get the right couple of cables and hook it up to the old Motorola Lapdock?

The lapdock has a HDMI connection for its display and a USB connection for keyboard & mouse.

Thoughts? Has this been tried?

I'm halfway there. I've picked up a usb-c digital Av mutliport adapter. Connected to the lapdock with a micro HDMI to mini HDMI from mini HDMI to full size hdmi to the multiport. The phone recognize the lapdock and went continuum mode and displayed on the lapdock. Unfortunately, while I can't get the micro USB to usb connection to fit. I need to get a usb c extender cable to see if the keyboard and mouse will work.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
They sell a micro-usb extension at Radio Shack (if you can find one). The female end is 90 degree so it gets out of the way quickly at the Lapdock connection port.

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
I've thought really long and hard about these lapdocks. I really want to get one, but really cannot justify getting one seeing as I have a pretty good Ultrabook (Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro upgraded with Win 10 pro and AC WIFI chip upgrade). 2 IN 1 laptop/tablet.

Even with a lapdock, I cannot get full Windows. I ended up carrying both devices with me.

The lapdock is another device I have to carry with me anyways, so I thought the Ultrabook would serve me much better. They are more affordable now. Plus they are much faster than our smartphones.

Hoping MS makes that foldable win32 capable phone.

SlideWRX

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Yep, I only picked the 100 b/c I was hoping to stuff whatever my connection solution was, into the larger base.

Wow. yeah, the Atrix/Bionic is thin and tiny. I was thinking I could fit something in there, after looking at the teardown pictures. It is smaller than I thought though.

I have it working with a couple adapters hooked up to the MS continuum dock. I haven't yet plugged in the lapdock power supply while running. It looks like it is pulling from the lapdock battery for the display.

I tried plugging my mouse into the ports on the lapdock, and I got a green screen?!? Edit: must've been from some other power cord or something. I tried again and the mouse is working fine with no interference, while plugged into lapdock usb ports. :)

So far I am loving it. The screen is pretty good. Typical for laptops the viewing angles (especially vertical) are nowhere near my cell phones, but for a laptop are good. Resolution is good enough (1366x768). yeah I can see pixels and I don't care. :p keyboard works fine, and I can plug my mouse in. Trackpad works but I turn it off (double tap in corner). battery charged fine, and powers things fine when not plugged in. The speakers don't work; sound comes out of the phone. Using the function keys to control volume changes phone volume. I don't typically run much sound anyway, or run headphones so not an issue for me. WoT Blitz works great! Edge works ok, about as well as can be without adblockers. Sometimes I switch to Monument browser if I need speed.

After while using it I look over at my 17" laptop and it looks Uuuuuge. The 11.6" screen size works for me so far.

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm using my Bionic right now and everything works as it should including the trackpad and speakers. I use a Screenbeam Mini 2 Continuum Edition, not the regular one. The Continuum Edition has a female USB port on the power cable that I use to connect to the micro-USB port on the Lapdock. That makes the keyboard, trackpad and speakers work. Obviously I use adapters for the HDMI in at the Lapdock to wireless adapter and a micro-USB to USB-A male at the Screenbeam. Forget the signature, this is being posted through Continuum via Bionic Lapdock.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Just tried the exact same setup with my LG G5 and no surprise, Andromium doesn't work for squat. Only the keyboard works, no touchpad and no speakers. Imagine that, a device originally designed for Android only works on a Microsoft product properly. That's just rich.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm using my Bionic right now and everything works as it should including the trackpad and speakers. I use a Screenbeam Mini 2 Continuum Edition, not the regular one. The Continuum Edition has a female USB port on the power cable that I use to connect to the micro-USB port on the Lapdock. That makes the keyboard, trackpad and speakers work. Obviously I use adapters for the HDMI in at the Lapdock to wireless adapter and a micro-USB to USB-A male at the Screenbeam. Forget the signature, this is being posted through Continuum via Bionic Lapdock.

Great pictures of the Laptop and Phone, but how have you done the cables (pics)? I am also guessing bluetooth is available to use a mouse with this setup?
How is the battery life of the dock and phone like this?
It is a good looking pair for sure !!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre