Can we expect still future for W10Mobiles after 26th Windows Event

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I really think not;

Satya Nadella: 'We clearly missed the mobile phone'

We got a fair bit of commentary about how MS is committed to the platform. Sure, the current strategy may still be that of commitment... until they aren't! (i.e. strategy gets changed and they pull the plug)

I think that they were planning to put some effort for next year, but in the meantime the wheels fell off, figuratively speaking, and it's looking more and more that the strategy is going to change, and that probably won't involve putting the wheels on again.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Doom and gloom, doom and gloom.... They clearly are more interested in3rd parties making devices at this point. They are actively updating the mobile OS. So please stop. When we are getting one update every couple of months, then worry. We aren't going to see a Surface phone by summer 2017, it's fine. And they are updating the hell out of continuums feature set, with more confirmed to come. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's for phones RIGHT!?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Doom and gloom, doom and gloom.... They clearly are more interested in3rd parties making devices at this point. They are actively updating the mobile OS. So please stop. When we are getting one update every couple of months, then worry. We aren't going to see a Surface phone by summer 2017, it's fine. And they are updating the hell out of continuums feature set, with more confirmed to come. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's for phones RIGHT!?

I can edit and update this post to kingdom come but that doesn't mean it's destined to become the best post on the board.

They're updating the OS but its all bugfixes and minor things. The feature I was excited for in the AU? The lockscreen camera shortcut (cough iOS 5 cough) and Store update notifications because they couldn't bear the chance of having something COOL on mobile. It launched in November 2015. Granted its improved since but they're all just making it less unreliable.

(okay fine, so gestures in Edge are added and the Update icon in settings has another arrow.)

What was I excited for in iOS 10 and Android 7.0?

iOS 10 had a cool iMessage revamp, Siri can let apps hook into it, the new notification setup! Not that much better but they also threw in a redesign and its still more to be excited about. iOS 9 launched in September 2015.

Android 7 brought officially-sanctioned splitscreen onboard, quick app switching, improved notifications and other things that may have been on custom ROMs before but are official now. 6.0 Marshmallow hit general availability early October 2015.

Everything has always been "soon" with Windows 10 Mobile. You can argue "they're catching up after the reboot" to kingdom come but it's been nothing but bugfixes until whenever the next big version is. And the next "Redstone 2", all I hear is Continuum improvements. That's it. I'd wager the whole project is powered by spare change and some executive goodwill left over from the main Windows project. If they cared it should be improving in improving, but its not.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm just perplexed by these posts. If it's soooo doom and gloom, why post, why follow? "Pocket change". Yes this is how monster business like MS and Apple do business... They have CLEARLY shown the vision of the OS, and it includes Mobile. We just are top of the priority list so people get their entitled panties in a wad when we aren't mentioned. Like the band, they have zero issue killing a line. Considering the numerous iterations of the mobile platform, don't you think they would have pulled the plug all together by now?! They obviously have a vision, and the OS needs to be up to par first. That has been a complaint on this board over and over, releasing a product before it's refined. Now they are doing just that, and it's the end of the platform. Cripes you guys.

Scott Pisciotta

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
By the quality of the builds and frequency of improvement, it appears they have a skeleton crew on the development team. Their only hope is an x86 full pc phone.

They could make a dent if they took a 2-3 billion hit and flooded the market with surface phones for around $250 to get market share up...then the developers would come.

10 million phones at a $300 loss each = 3 billion

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft has already made a statement on its strong commitment to windows mobile and its development , so the answer will be yes.

Well, that's the current strategy... until it's not!

In other words, the decision makers can look at the numbers and decide there and then to pull the plug, well from that point they're no longer committed.

The reason I think this is because of the change in tone, and essentially the lack of will from within microsoft. Before, they'd be saying that they're committed, but then more recently, there has been talk of not focusing on consumers, and very recently Satya Nadella saying that they failed mobile, well I think they're signs of a backtrack, or at least preparing the scene for a change in strategy.

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
imo windows mobile definitely has a future as Microsoft is always moving forward with unification of both the platforms(pc & mobile). So unless we see a new version of OS like windows XI , windows mobile will stay alive under development.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I just watched the entire video of the October 26th event.

There were Windows phones shown a number of times in the video. Mostly, I noticed them among the supported devices portion of the video. Not singled out, but nevertheless, included.

The HP Elite X3 scanning the sand castle in 3d is Windows Mobile.

Watch the video of the entire event, carefully, and see for yourself.

Last edited:

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
nadella has changed his message about mobile like 3 times since taking the seat, every time reducing it further, microsoft is known to have lost the trust of people and even OEMs, see samsung htc etc, then there was talk that mobile was the focus on RS2, oh now its called "creators update" so go figure

all this change of direction tells us this: not even they know what to do or how. and thats not news really, how would you tackle a fully developed mobile market?

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I just watched the video of the entire October 26th event.

There were Windows phones shown a number of times in the video. Mostly, I noticed them among the supported devices portion of the video. Not singled out, but nevertheless, included.

The HP Elite X3 scanning the sand castle in 3d is Windows Mobile.

Watch the video of the entire event, carefully, and see for yourself.[/QUOTE]

Hildr

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Why bothering about future? Is it so hard to use what you want now and then do what you want in the future when it comes? There will probably be an announcement one or two year before the end of services if it comes, so even if there is no future on w10m, an actual device would work for 1-2 years, like every other phone on the market.
Well, I don't really understand the need of new things every month so I'm somewhat not your average consumer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers