Spelling proofing in wrong language

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
I usually write emails in my native language, but when I type an email, is being proofed as if I was typing the email in English. I should mention that my phone language is English, while my maybe language is not.

Do others have this issue too? I think that before when I would type something by a Serbian keyboard for example, that part of the text would be proofed in Serbian, not in English, and it wouldn't correct the "i" to "I" for example. Is there any fix for this, are there done settings about this which I don't appear to be able to find?

Thanks in advance!

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have seen this too, both on the phone and on PC. I assumed it had to do with Mail using Office as the editor, and if Office doesn't have the proofing language installed, it won't spell-check in that language. Just a theory, I haven't tried fixing it. I'm curious if anyone has a fix.

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
Maybe, but I should also add that those who have their phone in, lets say Serbian language, they don't have this issue. And I think that Office does have spelling proofing in Serbian. For example, I am able to mark a part of text, and to mark it as it's in Serbian. Then it works fine for that peace of text, but I cannot do it all the time with each email I write.

On the other hand, I don't want to make this proofing in Serbian either, I often write in English too... It was perfect is it used to be before. :(

Sent from mTalk on Windows 10 phone

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
Have you tried installing the Serbian keyboard? When I change keyboards for different languages, autocorrect changes along with them.

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
Yes, I do use different keyboards, and it works perfectly in general. I only have the issue when I type an email in Outlook mail. Office seems to have it's own spell checking, and in my case - it's always in English. I assume it's because my phone is in English language, but before Outlook used to adopt to me according to which keyboard I us while typing, and it doesn't act like that anymore.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I tried the same in office on WP, there the spell check (with the wiggly red underlines) follows your choice of keyboard. Anything you typed with keyboard A is spell checked for language A, and anything you type with keyboard B is spell checked for language B. In Outlook though it always spell checks in English for me, even if I type on a non-English keyboard.

So that seems like a bug, right? Time to report/upvote on the feedback hub.

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
I agree, definitely a bug.

But one thing which bothers me when it comes to their feedback hub is the fact that it spends my data, and I am unable to write some feedback unless I unable sending my device data to Microsoft (Feedback & diagnostic). I would like it those were sent only by wifi data, and for it not to spend my cellular data, but since that's not possible I've set those to basic. It just spends too much megabytes.

Sent from mtalk on Windows 10 PC

gbobman

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Let's be honest, even the spellcheck in English/English comes up with some odd choices often. WP 8.1 seemed much better in this respect. I wish they could have integrated what they learned in WP8x and actually used it in W10M.

Still enjoy the platform though. I'm nit-picky.

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
I agree, they didn't have to start from zero. Though in my case, there used to be no prediction for Serbian keyboard, so when this has been maybe the most important thing for me on Windows 10 Mobile - ability to type with swipe.

But yeah, it's definitely not just that, now I'm used to sending emails with files attached, etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos