Some things to try when Windows 10 updates fail!

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi Please move if not the proper forum! Here are things to try if you're having problems with Windows 10 updates. These are some things that have worked for me.
The first thing I would do is a sfc /scannow and DISM How to Repair Corrupted Windows System Files with the SFC and DISM Commands
Even if the SFC command doesn’t repair any files, running it will confirm that no system files are corrupted and you can continue to troubleshoot your system with other methods.
Next I would try to reset Windows updates. Here is a easy link from Shawn Brink that will get that done for you with a .bat file! Windows Update - Reset in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
Sometimes you may have an issue with Windows Update such as not being able to download or install updates, error messages, not being able to search for new updates, etc. These kind of issues can occur when the Windows Update database or components are corrupted, one or more services related to Windows Update are not running, etc.

Resetting the Windows Update components and history can usually solve these types of issues.
If you don't want to do a clean install or a reset, I suggest a in-place upgrade repair!
How to repair Windows 10 with in-place upgrade. - wintips.org - Windows Tips & How-tos
The repair of Windows 10, can resolve many problems in Windows 10 functionality and some times is the most reliable and quickest way to fix the Windows 10 malfunctions. Also the in-place Windows 10 upgrade, which performed with the repair process, ensures that Windows 10 have the latest updates and fixes installed.
PS I suggest always disabling your anti-virus program. I don't know why Windows updates are so difficult to down load. Some users have no problems and others have problems. I have had a few problems. The in-place upgrade repair was the answer for me. It will take 2hours+ to complete, so please be patient.
If any one has more suggestions how to get windows updates to install, please add them to this thread:wink: If I find or remember any more, I will add them here latter! Hope this helps someone! Hoping I can make a good hand here on the forum!:grin:

Last edited:

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi Here's the latest Windows updates. These updated with no issues. That's good! Maybe Microsoft has this figured out HA HA! If you have a issue, check your update history and see if there is a error code! Here's my history!:wink: Here's a complete list which I have never found very helpful.:wink:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/938205

Attachments

• Capture25.JPG
    Capture25.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi Here's the latest Windows update 10-31-2016 ! OS Build 14393.351. Waiting for Patch Tuesday!:wink:

Attachments

• Capture25.JPG
    Capture25.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 9

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
What to do in an update loop?
Hi The first thing I would try is to boot into the Advanced Startup mode. There are several recovery options there. No cigars there, the next thing would be MCT!
It will come the time when you’ll need to troubleshoot or change certain PC settings that you won’t be able to perform while Windows is loaded. Similar to its predecessor, Windows 10 includes the “Windows Startup Settings” – or “Advanced startup” options (formerly known as “Advanced boot options”) – that can help you troubleshoot, diagnose, and fix your PC from virtually any problem that you may come across.

Advanced startup offers a number of different ways in which you can troubleshoot and fix your PC, and because problems can strike from many different scenarios, Microsoft provides several methods to access these

How to access 'Advanced startup' options on Windows 10 to troubleshoot and fix your PC ? PUREinfoTech
Here's a little trick that will get you into Advanced Startup!
If your PC isn’t loading Windows 10 and you don’t have the operating system installation files, you can use the following trick.

Start your computer and follow the POST, when Windows should begin loading, press the power button to shutdown your computer.

Repeat the previous step twice, and in the third restart the operating system should enter into the Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE), where a number of diagnostics will be performed to try fix any booting issues, but you will also get an option to access the Windows Startup Settings

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
my computer has come back alive ..There is this update; KB 3197954 that has tried to install itself but failed 7 times

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans