Best VPN service provider for Windows phone?

DCPaul

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Receiving lots of emails of VPN lifetime offers from Digital offers. Can't figure out which one works with windows phone. Any suggestion?

gbobman

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
From what I've read, rolling your own using DDWRT on your router looks like the best choice. Otherwise, you have to determine if the price, confidentiality of the company, the reputation of that company are OK with you. Also, some require an app to run on either your PC or on your phone. As most of those companies don't offer anything but iOS and Android, you'd be out of luck.

No easy answer. Also, I tried to research that company from the deal. I really couldn't find anything about them. Sounds too sketchy for me since this is dealing with ALL your personal data going through their lines.

randomuser37

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I would say that most VPNs would support just about any phone as long as you can still setup connections manually. Make sure you check the VPN providers support page to see if they support connections without any specific software as it is likely that the provider won't make software for Windows 10 Mobile. Even without specific software, Windows 10 Mobile supports most of the major types of VPN natively except OpenVPN.

As far as providers, I'm enjoying PureVPN which I got lifetime for about $80 from digital offers. I prefer companies that support IKEv2, and that one does, because it seems safer and well suited to mobile (slightly easier on battery, also reconnects well when networks change from WiFi to cellular, etc). Fair warning: when creating manual VPN connections in Windows 10 (and Mobile), you will need to avoid specifying any specific protocol when setting it up as there is a bug that prevents routing requests through the VPN when you do. Basically that bug mean you connect to the VPN but your requests still go through whatever default network you had before connecting. So just keep it set to automatic instead and it will try using IKEv2 first, then SSTP, then PPTP, and L2TP/IPsec last. When it find the right protocol and finally connects, all your requests will route through the VPN like they should.

Diamond67

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
When VPN is activated, do you see either Connected to VPN over Wi-Fi or VPN over Cellular Data icon?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17246/windows-10-mobile-icons
Virtual private networking (VPN)
This icon VPN icon.png appears when you're connected to a VPN over Wi-Fi, and this one VPN icon cellular.png shows when you're connected over cellular data.
Earlier with Windows Phone 8.1 those icons appeared when I used VPN connection. After upgrading to Windows 10 Mobile I cannot see VPN icons, only normal icons, even if the VPN is active (which I have verified with couple of showmyIP-sites).

randomuser37

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Sorry for the late reply, but yes both the WiFi and the cellular data connection icons have the little locks on them to indicate VPN connection just like in Windows Phone 8.1. I use the VPN connections from the Settings app to connect. If you are using an app other than that, it may work differently.

Diamond67

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
I use the VPN connections from the Settings app to connect.

Me too. Tried to remove the VPN Connections and start from scratch but that seems impossible. I had two connections but cannot remove the other one. The remove button is greyed out. This is ridiculous!

And I am not the only one with this problem:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...5-removing-vpn-connections-win-10-mobile.html

edit: I had created a VPN Connection while using Windows Phone 8.1. After updating to Windows 10 Mobile I cannot edit or remove this VPN Connection from the list. It won't work either. I can Add connections but while connected the connection icon won't show the tiny lock symbol. Updating to Windows 10 Mobile clearly messed things up with VPN.

And sorry for the off-topic...

Last edited:

CozyPlanes

Jul 16, 2016
Visit site
Hotspot shield is the best, especially the app for windows phone, but the only downside is that you need to install a new certificate every 3 days or so cuz of security reasons.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss