11-07-2016 02:53 PM
96 1234
tools
    Hi I see you have the Pro version! That's good to know. The in-place repair is not starting from scratch. You will save every thing and it will attempt to repair your OS.
    I saw post #45. Trouble shooter couldn't fix the problem. If the in-place doesn't work, then you might want to save your data and do a reset! The error in the trouble shooter is probably the reason that you couldn't reset the updates. IMHO if you block all of the updates, you are putting your PC in danger from all kinds of problems!
    It's your choice friend!
    11-05-2016 10:09 PM
    The repair of Windows 10, can resolve many problems in Windows 10 functionality and some times is the most reliable and quickest way to fix the Windows 10 malfunctions. Also the in-place Windows 10 upgrade, which performed with the repair process, ensures that Windows 10 have the latest updates and fixes installed.
    realwarder likes this.
    11-05-2016 10:20 PM
    I wonder if I really need that update?
    If the manual update doesn't work then I'll do what the other said. Cancelled it.
    each update comes with a "changelog" shortly after, you can check it out and see what it fixes and what it breaks, usually they won't mention what it breaks if it is a normal build or a simple cumulative since it is expected these are strictly fixes, but they have broken stuff before and can do it again, here's an example Bad Windows 10 Xbox One controller driver forces Microsoft?s hand | InfoWorld

as said, by disabling windowsupdate service you wont get defender updates and/or app updates, but you can simply turn the service on when you want app updates and definition updates for defender, then turn it off again, tedious I know, but what you're going through now is even more so, isn't it? other than that all you can do is go back to 8.1 or older to get control of things in a easy way

to directly answer your question; read the changelog, then you can determine whether you -need- the update or not, by yourself
    abhishek singh21 and Alain_A like this.
    11-05-2016 10:42 PM
    Now it is late. Time for bed for me

Thanks for your help. It is appreciated.

Tomorrow is the last day for me to work it out.

After it's road trip for me for at least 2 weeks
    holdum333 likes this.
    11-05-2016 10:53 PM
    Hi @EspHack I really appreciate your help on this. Two heads are always better then one. I agree with 80% of your post. If @Alain has Pro. I think he can turn the up dates off and I got a feeling that he has done that, and now turned them on again. That may be why they are now all screwed up. He said other updates failed. I see no reason to go back to 8.1or older. I agree 100% MS has some serious problems to solve with their up dates, but IMHO shutting them off is not a good idea.
    As I have suggested, I would try a in-place repair first. If no cigars then a refresh or a reset! My thinking is MS doesn't want you to turn updates off and if you do, there will be a price to pay. That's my thoughts!
    Good night all! See you all tomorrow!
    11-05-2016 10:59 PM
    Hey Friend! I thought you were going to bed! You are still logged on! If you need more help, I'm always around! Don't forget to set your clocks back!
    I always give it my best shot. I don't always get it right, but there is no give up in my vocabulary.
    11-06-2016 12:43 AM
    It's not great news I have but on my surface 3, about 3 cumulative builds ago, I got what you had... update tries to install but fails and rolls back. Over and over and with each subsequent culmulative build it failed (I figured just wait to the next one) When the one your failing on still failed for me, tried manual install, I went and reset it.

Now everything is updated ok. My surface3 I really only use as a tablet so I didn't miss anything on it except needing to set up my apps and start again. They they need a back up restore for that like on phone
    11-06-2016 08:29 AM
    It's not great news I have but on my surface 3, about 3 cumulative builds ago, I got what you had... update tries to install but fails and rolls back. Over and over and with each subsequent culmulative build it failed (I figured just wait to the next one) When the one your failing on still failed for me, tried manual install, I went and reset it.

Now everything is updated ok. My surface3 I really only use as a tablet so I didn't miss anything on it except needing to set up my apps and start again. They they need a back up restore for that like on phone
    Did the reset fixed it or still the same with that update?
    11-06-2016 08:39 AM
    I'm resetting now.

it went back to 14393

off course all the previous updates are downloading

Now the moment of truth after resetting the OS..:restarting the laptop for the updates.

IT FINALLY WENT THROUGH....with resetting the OS and keeping my files
    Last edited by Alain_A; 11-06-2016 at 11:51 AM.
    Shamshi-Adad likes this.
    11-06-2016 08:41 AM
    Hi! Thanks for joining @anthonyng! I would have tried the in-place repair before going to reset. Well this way, you will have a fresh OS and that's always a good feeling. Great to hear that reset worked for you! Now just installing your Apps and you're good to go!
    I like team work! Here's my latest build! I have all the latest updates!
    Attached Thumbnails capture25.jpg  
    11-06-2016 12:08 PM
    According to what I remember reading the in-place repair pretty much works the same.
    I think in the future one will have the do that once in awhile. Refreshing the OS.
    I did not have many apps installed so it was not a big deal for me
    I should have done that the first time yesterday instead of losing all day.
    11-06-2016 12:16 PM
    According to what I remember reading the in-place repair pretty much works the same.
    I think in the future one will have the do that once in awhile. Refreshing the OS.
    I did not have many apps installed so it was not a big deal for me
    I have done the in-place repair 3 times. I never lost one App. That's why I advised you to try it first. If you read all my posts, you will see that I mentioned a refresh-reset may needed if the in-place repair didn't get the job done. OH well!
    I'm very happy that you have your issue solved!
    realwarder likes this.
    11-06-2016 12:27 PM
    IMHO if you learned some thing, the day wasn't wasted. I started with the least evasion options to your issue. I'm sorry if you think your day was wasted. Go back and read all my posts and you will see that I said a refresh-reset might be necessary.
    Pass Forward what you learned to others. That's what I try very hard to do!
    Alain_A and realwarder like this.
    11-06-2016 12:51 PM
    in case you want a permanent solution and don't want to deal with this again, press Start, type services, hit enter key, find "Windowsupdate" double click on it, set it to disabled, click apply and click on the stop button, done

if you want updates for some reason, go to windowsupdate catalog site where you can find and download the packages to install them whenever you want
    Never disable Windows Update Service. Unless you want your computer infected with a bunch of virus. It is important on so many levels to keep your PC up to date.
    holdum333 and Guytronic like this.
    11-06-2016 01:05 PM
    The repair of Windows 10, can resolve many problems in Windows 10 functionality and some times is the most reliable and quickest way to fix the Windows 10 malfunctions. Also the in-place Windows 10 upgrade, which performed with the repair process, ensures that Windows 10 have the latest updates and fixes installed.
    Good advice if nothing else works. Glad OP has his system running.
    holdum333 and Guytronic like this.
    11-06-2016 01:09 PM
    IMHO if you learned some thing, the day wasn't wasted. I started with the least evasion options to your issue. I'm sorry if you think your day was wasted. Go back and read all my posts and you will see that I said a refresh-reset might be necessary.
    Pass Forward what you learned to others. That's what I try very hard to do!
    in a way that I had to work on it all day to find a solution....Having you helping me was not waste cause I have learned some others stuff thanks to you.

Also I did bookmark your other post so I can refer to it in the future
    holdum333 likes this.
    11-06-2016 01:11 PM
    Hi! Thanks for joining @anthonyng! I would have tried the in-place repair before going to reset. Well this way, you will have a fresh OS and that's always a good feeling. Great to hear that reset worked for you! Now just installing your Apps and you're good to go!
    I like team work! Here's my latest build! I have all the latest updates!
    Now I have the same build as you
    holdum333 likes this.
    11-06-2016 01:14 PM
    Go back and read all my posts and you will see that I said a refresh-reset might be necessary.
    yes you did but I had the impression I had to have an OS 10 image to do so....I don't even know if I have one
    11-06-2016 01:16 PM
    Hi Thanks for joining this thread @realwarder. Team work is good. I agree with your post 100%!
    I have one last post to make here. My thinking is that the refresh-reset doesn't keep your Apps because the Apps could very well be the cause of your problems.
    Refresh-Reset would be the best way to go. I have a lot of Apps and I don't like starting over, so I go with the in-place repair.
    I hope I have helped other users that are reading this thread and having trouble getting updates to install.
    PS Patch Tuesday is just around the corner. Wondering what kind of problems that will cause. LOL
    11-06-2016 01:19 PM
    yes you did but I had the impression I had to have an OS 10 image to do so....I don't even know if I have one
    IMHO you need to create MCT. I prefer the flash drive, but a DVD is good. They come in handy and there may come a day when you need one!
    I have two in my desk drawer! I use PNY flash drives. At least 8 GB is my advise!
    I really enjoyed working with you on this problem! Glad you finally got it solved!
    11-06-2016 01:25 PM
    IMHO you need to create MCT. I prefer the flash drive, but a DVD is good. They come in handy and there may come a day when you need one!
    I have two in my desk drawer! I use PNY flash drives. At least 8 GB is my advise!
    I really enjoyed working with you on this problem! Glad you finally got it solved!
    Cause I work in trucking industry, when I come home I never have enough time. So to fix my computer was not in my goal. The goal was more to be with the wife for quality time
    anthonyng likes this.
    11-06-2016 02:47 PM
    Cause I work in trucking industry, when I come home I never have enough time. So to fix my computer was not in my goal. The goal was more to be with the wife for quality time
    Why aren't you spending quality time with your wife at this moment?? Your PC is restored to factory now. I have friends that drive trucks.
    Have a safe trip good buddy. I'll see you on the turn around! I'm a old dude. I use to have a CD in my old Cadillac and I talked to truck drivers all the time.
    11-06-2016 02:58 PM
    It sounds like this is fixed. Windows 10 often has issues with updates as of late. If more people post with such issues, this might be a good way to get information about what is going wrong (works from Windows 10 1607 onwards):

Open an elevated PowerShell window and type the following:

> Get-WindowsUpdateLog

that will create a log file on the desktop. It will often reveal what is going wrong.
    11-06-2016 05:18 PM
    screenshot-2-.png
    screenshot-7-.png

I don't know if i'm using the right powershell

It sounds like this is fixed. Windows 10 often has issues with updates as of late. If more people post with such issues, this might be a good way to get information about what is going wrong (works from Windows 10 1607 onwards):

Open an elevated PowerShell window and type the following:

> Get-WindowsUpdateLog

that will create a log file on the desktop. It will often reveal what is going wrong.
    11-06-2016 05:35 PM
    Hi! @a5cent! Here's what I get??
    Attached Thumbnails capture25.jpg  
    11-06-2016 05:42 PM
96 1234