Windows as a service....:

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
I went in the computer and I did run the automatic repair....That too failed....
I don't understand "That too failed" I ran the trouble shooter and this is what it told me! I'm not trying to pressure you. I'm trying to help you! Windows creates updates for a reason!:wink: I won't bother you any more!

Attachments

• Capture25.JPG
    Capture25.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 1

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
so something is wrong in the computer which Microsoft has been taking care of all updates without my intervention...

It is not the first update that failed from Microsoft KB3194496 has also failed 6 times on October

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand "That too failed" I ran the trouble shooter and this is what it told me! I'm not trying to pressure you. I'm trying to help you! Windows creates updates for a reason!:wink: I won't bother you any more!

never got that when I tried

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
never got that when I tried
Hi @Alain! You weren't able to reset updates and the trouble shooter didn't work?? I don't know friend, but it may be time for a in-place repair.:wink:
You never mentioned the other updates failures! Do you have a legit copy of windows

Attachments

• Capture25.JPG
    Capture25.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 1

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi I see you have the Pro version! That's good to know. The in-place repair is not starting from scratch. You will save every thing and it will attempt to repair your OS.
I saw post #45. Trouble shooter couldn't fix the problem. If the in-place doesn't work, then you might want to save your data and do a reset! The error in the trouble shooter is probably the reason that you couldn't reset the updates. IMHO if you block all of the updates, you are putting your PC in danger from all kinds of problems!
It's your choice friend!

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
The repair of Windows 10, can resolve many problems in Windows 10 functionality and some times is the most reliable and quickest way to fix the Windows 10 malfunctions. Also the in-place Windows 10 upgrade, which performed with the repair process, ensures that Windows 10 have the latest updates and fixes installed.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I wonder if I really need that update?
If the manual update doesn't work then I'll do what the other said. Cancelled it.

each update comes with a "changelog" shortly after, you can check it out and see what it fixes and what it breaks, usually they won't mention what it breaks if it is a normal build or a simple cumulative since it is expected these are strictly fixes, but they have broken stuff before and can do it again, here's an example Bad Windows 10 Xbox One controller driver forces Microsoft?s hand | InfoWorld

as said, by disabling windowsupdate service you wont get defender updates and/or app updates, but you can simply turn the service on when you want app updates and definition updates for defender, then turn it off again, tedious I know, but what you're going through now is even more so, isn't it? other than that all you can do is go back to 8.1 or older to get control of things in a easy way

to directly answer your question; read the changelog, then you can determine whether you -need- the update or not, by yourself

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Now it is late. Time for bed for me

Thanks for your help. It is appreciated.

Tomorrow is the last day for me to work it out.

After it's road trip for me for at least 2 weeks

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi @EspHack I really appreciate your help on this. Two heads are always better then one. I agree with 80% of your post. If @Alain has Pro. I think he can turn the up dates off and I got a feeling that he has done that, and now turned them on again. That may be why they are now all screwed up. He said other updates failed. I see no reason to go back to 8.1or older. I agree 100% MS has some serious problems to solve with their up dates, but IMHO shutting them off is not a good idea.
As I have suggested, I would try a in-place repair first. If no cigars then a refresh or a reset!:wink: My thinking is MS doesn't want you to turn updates off and if you do, there will be a price to pay. That's my thoughts!:wink:
Good night all! See you all tomorrow!

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hey Friend! I thought you were going to bed!:wink: You are still logged on! If you need more help, I'm always around!:wink: Don't forget to set your clocks back!
I always give it my best shot. I don't always get it right, but there is no give up in my vocabulary.:wink:

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
It's not great news I have but on my surface 3, about 3 cumulative builds ago, I got what you had... update tries to install but fails and rolls back. Over and over and with each subsequent culmulative build it failed (I figured just wait to the next one) When the one your failing on still failed for me, tried manual install, I went and reset it.

Now everything is updated ok. My surface3 I really only use as a tablet so I didn't miss anything on it except needing to set up my apps and start again. They they need a back up restore for that like on phone

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
It's not great news I have but on my surface 3, about 3 cumulative builds ago, I got what you had... update tries to install but fails and rolls back. Over and over and with each subsequent culmulative build it failed (I figured just wait to the next one) When the one your failing on still failed for me, tried manual install, I went and reset it.

Now everything is updated ok. My surface3 I really only use as a tablet so I didn't miss anything on it except needing to set up my apps and start again. They they need a back up restore for that like on phone

Did the reset fixed it or still the same with that update?

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm resetting now.

it went back to 14393

off course all the previous updates are downloading

Now the moment of truth after resetting the OS..:restarting the laptop for the updates.

IT FINALLY WENT THROUGH....with resetting the OS and keeping my files

Last edited:

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi! Thanks for joining @anthonyng! I would have tried the in-place repair before going to reset. Well this way, you will have a fresh OS and that's always a good feeling. Great to hear that reset worked for you! Now just installing your Apps and you're good to go!
I like team work!:wink: Here's my latest build! I have all the latest updates!

Attachments

• Capture25.JPG
    Capture25.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 18

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)