Windows as a service....:

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
According to what I remember reading the in-place repair pretty much works the same.
I think in the future one will have the do that once in awhile. Refreshing the OS.
I did not have many apps installed so it was not a big deal for me
I should have done that the first time yesterday instead of losing all day.

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
According to what I remember reading the in-place repair pretty much works the same.
I think in the future one will have the do that once in awhile. Refreshing the OS.
I did not have many apps installed so it was not a big deal for me
I have done the in-place repair 3 times. I never lost one App. That's why I advised you to try it first. If you read all my posts, you will see that I mentioned a refresh-reset may needed if the in-place repair didn't get the job done. OH well!
I'm very happy that you have your issue solved!

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
IMHO if you learned some thing, the day wasn't wasted. I started with the least evasion options to your issue. I'm sorry if you think your day was wasted. Go back and read all my posts and you will see that I said a refresh-reset might be necessary.
Pass Forward what you learned to others. That's what I try very hard to do!:wink:

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
in case you want a permanent solution and don't want to deal with this again, press Start, type services, hit enter key, find "Windowsupdate" double click on it, set it to disabled, click apply and click on the stop button, done

if you want updates for some reason, go to windowsupdate catalog site where you can find and download the packages to install them whenever you want

Never disable Windows Update Service. Unless you want your computer infected with a bunch of virus. It is important on so many levels to keep your PC up to date.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
The repair of Windows 10, can resolve many problems in Windows 10 functionality and some times is the most reliable and quickest way to fix the Windows 10 malfunctions. Also the in-place Windows 10 upgrade, which performed with the repair process, ensures that Windows 10 have the latest updates and fixes installed.

Good advice if nothing else works. Glad OP has his system running.

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
IMHO if you learned some thing, the day wasn't wasted. I started with the least evasion options to your issue. I'm sorry if you think your day was wasted. Go back and read all my posts and you will see that I said a refresh-reset might be necessary.
Pass Forward what you learned to others. That's what I try very hard to do!:wink:

in a way that I had to work on it all day to find a solution....Having you helping me was not waste cause I have learned some others stuff thanks to you.

Also I did bookmark your other post so I can refer to it in the future

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Hi! Thanks for joining @anthonyng! I would have tried the in-place repair before going to reset. Well this way, you will have a fresh OS and that's always a good feeling. Great to hear that reset worked for you! Now just installing your Apps and you're good to go!
I like team work!:wink: Here's my latest build! I have all the latest updates!

Now I have the same build as you

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi Thanks for joining this thread @realwarder. Team work is good. I agree with your post 100%!
I have one last post to make here. My thinking is that the refresh-reset doesn't keep your Apps because the Apps could very well be the cause of your problems.
Refresh-Reset would be the best way to go. I have a lot of Apps and I don't like starting over, so I go with the in-place repair.
I hope I have helped other users that are reading this thread and having trouble getting updates to install.
PS Patch Tuesday is just around the corner. Wondering what kind of problems that will cause. LOL

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
yes you did but I had the impression I had to have an OS 10 image to do so....I don't even know if I have one
IMHO you need to create MCT. I prefer the flash drive, but a DVD is good. They come in handy and there may come a day when you need one!:wink:
I have two in my desk drawer! I use PNY flash drives. At least 8 GB is my advise!
I really enjoyed working with you on this problem! Glad you finally got it solved!

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
IMHO you need to create MCT. I prefer the flash drive, but a DVD is good. They come in handy and there may come a day when you need one!:wink:
I have two in my desk drawer! I use PNY flash drives. At least 8 GB is my advise!
I really enjoyed working with you on this problem! Glad you finally got it solved!

Cause I work in trucking industry, when I come home I never have enough time. So to fix my computer was not in my goal. The goal was more to be with the wife for quality time

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Cause I work in trucking industry, when I come home I never have enough time. So to fix my computer was not in my goal. The goal was more to be with the wife for quality time
Why aren't you spending quality time with your wife at this moment??:wink: Your PC is restored to factory now. I have friends that drive trucks.
Have a safe trip good buddy. I'll see you on the turn around! I'm a old dude. I use to have a CD in my old Cadillac and I talked to truck drivers all the time.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
It sounds like this is fixed. Windows 10 often has issues with updates as of late. If more people post with such issues, this might be a good way to get information about what is going wrong (works from Windows 10 1607 onwards):

Open an elevated PowerShell window and type the following:

> Get-WindowsUpdateLog

that will create a log file on the desktop. It will often reveal what is going wrong.

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Screenshot (2).png
Screenshot (7).png

I don't know if i'm using the right powershell

It sounds like this is fixed. Windows 10 often has issues with updates as of late. If more people post with such issues, this might be a good way to get information about what is going wrong (works from Windows 10 1607 onwards):

Open an elevated PowerShell window and type the following:

> Get-WindowsUpdateLog

that will create a log file on the desktop. It will often reveal what is going wrong.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
@Alain_A

1. I said "elevated" PowerShell, that means you must run it as administrator
  2. On your second screen shot I can see that the command is still running. It can take a while. Maybe up to a minute on slower machines. Until it completes the file on the desktop contains only the three words "Checking write access".
@holdum333
I doubt that is the file that was created on the desktop. You sure?

Typically that's the contents of the file found here:

%windir%\WindowsUpdate.log

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I had to redo....now I got the file in note pad but can't attached it to a post

@Alain_A

1. I said "elevated" PowerShell, that means you must run it as administrator
  2. On your second screen shot I can see that the command is still running. It can take a while. Maybe up to a minute on slower machines. Until it completes the file on the desktop contains only the three words "Checking write access".
@holdum333
I doubt that is the file that was created on the desktop. You sure?

Typically that's the contents of the file found here:

%windir%\WindowsUpdate.log

The uploader won't me attach it

something like this?

Screenshot (8).png

Last edited by a moderator:

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Sorry! Senility was working! Here you go!:wink: It put a file on my desktop, but it won't open. It says "Checking write access"

Attachments

• Capture26.JPG
    Capture26.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 3

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ see post #76

The uploader won't me attach it

Yes, something like that. Errors usually stand out in the sea of a million similar entries.

I just glanced over this thread. Is your issue not already solved? If not, can you tell me which post precisely describes your current problem (I don't want to read the whole thread).

If you still have a problem with the update service you could also upload the log file to OneDrive, and paste a public link to it here. Or if it's not too big just paste the contents here (but really only if it's smallish which it rarely is).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss