Visual Studio installation is too slow

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I have been trying to install Visual Studio 2015 since the last 2 days and it's damn slow even if you install it in offline mode. Is Microsoft really serious about Windows 10 development? What's there in software that it takes 20 hours to install? Why can't it show some basic information like percentage completed of time remaining?

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
could you share your PC specs with us? have you cleared cache memory by running ccleaner or other similar programs? Do tell us your OS build as well/are you an insider?

Last edited:

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I have Dell XPS L502X laptop running the latest version of Windows 10 Anniversary update. It has 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, 1 GB NVidia graphics card, and 3rd generation Intel core i3 processor. It's pretty fast and I have performed a clean installation of Windows 10 last week itself.
The problem is with the installer or perhaps there is some conflict with some Windows 10 code due to which it freezes in between that too without any indication and time out messages. I once waited for 9 hours but it stayed at 99%. It's really frustrating.
I am not an insider. But I am learning UWP.

Here is the screenshot for your reference.

VS Freezing.png

Last edited:

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Visual studio installation really isn't the best.

Something is hanging the installation. You can try to right click on the process and hit "analyze wait chain" and see what's keeping it from completing

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I have already done that. If I end any process from there, Visual Studio installation fails. I have even tried to install VS15 in safe mode but the installation will not start. If anyone knows a workaround this problem, kindly let me know. It seems some Windows 10 component is blocking it and preventing it to configure the system. hence it gets stuck up in the last stage.

Visual studio installation really isn't the best.

Something is hanging the installation. You can try to right click on the process and hit "analyze wait chain" and see what's keeping it from completing

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have already done that. If I end any process from there, Visual Studio installation fails. I have even tried to install VS15 in safe mode but the installation will not start. If anyone knows a workaround this problem, kindly let me know. It seems some Windows 10 component is blocking it and preventing it to configure the system. hence it gets stuck up in the last stage.

I recently installed It on my surface pro 4.

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I finally managed to solve the problem! The problem was the internet service provider. They blocked some things and thus some components of VS were not able to download. Even the iso file had to download some extra components from internet. Finally, I cleared the cache and used my smartphones 3G connection and the installation was successful!

It's funny how sometimes simple things can screw up the best products.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon