Lap Dock

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
My pre-order for my Lap Dock just shipped. I anticipate I will receive it early next week. I'll post here with some pictures and a review.

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Well, I just got my Lap Dock and I've been playing with it for about 20 minutes using a wired connection to my Lumia 950XL. First impressions:

-It's a nice piece of equipment. Feels very well balanced (as it should, it's just a giant battery) and is high quality plastic throughout.
-The screen is not glossy, it's matte. It's been a while since I've had a matte screen, and I like it. The brightness is consistent from edge-to-edge and viewing angles seem on par with other laptops. Brightness seems adequate
-The keyboard is also comparable to other laptops. There is an adjustable brightness setting (high, mid, off) as well as F1-F12 keys (with alternate functions such as volume). Key travel seems good; in fact, I'm typing these impressions on it.
-The trackpad has distinct left and right click areas, but more importantly tapping the trackpad functions as a left click (like every other laptop). Two finger scroll and zoom also work in compatible apps (e.g. Edge)
-I've been playing music and sound is coming through the dock, not my phone, as it should. Haven't tested the mic though.
-There are three USB-C ports, but it's a little deceptive. If one connects to the phone, and another is a charging port, that leaves only one free if you're wired to the phone and charging everything. Probably will need a small hub if you have a lot of peripherals you want to connect.
-Continuum is what it is. Nothing new to see here. It's nice on the fast ring because the phone screen will turn off

I took some pictures that I'll post once I get to a real computer with the ability to upload pictures. Overall, it's exactly what I was expecting and works well for what it is. I know many people were upset by the price, and the truth is, it costs too much for what it is. That being said, it does what it's supposed to do, and does it very well. I've been dreaming about this setup since I first heard about Continuum and I couldn't pass up the opportunity.

Feel free to ask any questions and I'll try to answer them!

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Yes, it definitely charges the phone while in use. However, it seems that, at least while the dock is on battery, the discharge rate of the phone is slightly faster than the charge rate using a wired connection. Of course, I'm also streaming a podcast in the background so I'm sure that's not helping my consumption.

One quirk I've noticed is that my phone does not like the advanced trackpad gestures at all. I had multiple crashes until I figured out they were all happening when I was using two finger scroll, etc. If I'm not using those, it's fine. This is a slightly annoying issue, but: a) I wasn't expecting advanced gestures, so finding out I can't use them isn't the worst thing ever; and b) I don't know if this is specific to the Lumia 950XL, my particular build, or the dock.

Last edited:

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
How much was this HP lap dock ?

Oh crap... $600 ?

HP Elite x3 Lap Dock with Premium Packaging (V8H07UT) | HP? United States

Yea, for a little more than that, I can get a really nice normal laptop, maybe even a Surface 3 with keyboard in that range...

Neat for what it is but, I think a full laptop with out the limitations that Continuum has would be a much better value in this price range for most people...

Still would love to see some "real world" pictures of this device..

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Still would love to see some "real world" pictures of this device..

Ask and ye shall receive...all pics taken from my connected Lumia:

This is the dock in full view:
WP_20161114_15_54_33_Raw.jpg

The left side of the dock with one USB-C port for the data connection to the phone and one micro-HDMI port out:
WP_20161114_15_54_57_Raw.jpg

The right side of the dock with two USB-C ports (either one of which can be used for charging), as well as a battery indicator:
WP_20161114_15_55_18_Raw.jpg

This is the keyboard:
WP_20161114_15_55_48_Raw.jpg

This shows how thin the bezel is of the screen:
WP_20161114_15_56_02_Raw.jpg

The dock when it's closed:
WP_20161114_15_57_15_Raw.jpg

As I've said, the price is simply too much for 95% of people to buy it. However, for me, it was something I felt I need to buy. I used the dock at work today and it was amazing. It really is a remarkable experience to use one's phone as one's computer. I anticipate this dock will last me a couple of years, and as WM hardware improves I will upgrade my laptop as I upgrade my phone. Like I said, not for everyone but for me it's exactly what I've been looking for.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos