Can Anyone Help Me With Windows 10 Pro?

Portaldominates

Feb 14, 2016
Visit site
I got home the other day and opened up my laptop to find that my Windows 10 Home had randomly upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. I don't have product key for the professional edition, and I can't go back to home. Is there any way that I can go back without losing all my data? I don't want to have to spend $80 for a product key all because of something that Microsoft screwed up on. Thanks!

Last edited:

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi Sorry for the late reply. If you had W 7-8.1 pro and upgraded to W10, then that's what you're going to get. If you had Home, then you will get home. What is your issue? Is your OS not working properly? Why do you want to go back to home addition!:smile:

Portaldominates

Feb 14, 2016
Visit site
Hi Sorry for the late reply. If you had W 7-8.1 pro and upgraded to W10, then that's what you're going to get. If you had Home, then you will get home. What is your issue? Is your OS not working properly? Why do you want to go back to home addition!:smile:

This is a brand new laptop, it came with Windows 10 Home on it. The problem is that it upgraded to Professional edition. I dont have a product key for Professional, therfore, my Windows is no longer activated.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Have you tried to go back to an earlier build, there is a time limit? No guarantee any of this will work because you say it went from Home to Pro which is strange yet not too surprising.

You'll be able to go back to an earlier version by going to ?SETTINGS? > ?UPDATE & SECURITY? > ?RECOVERY? The time you have to go back depends on what version of Windows 10 your PC is running after the upgrade. For example, if your PC is running Windows 10 Version 1511, you have a month to go back to your previous operating system. If your PC is running the Windows 10 Anniversary Update (Version 1607), you have 10 days to go back. (To see what version of Windows 10 your PC is running after you upgrade, select the ?START? button, then select ?SETTINGS? > ?SYSTEM? > ?ABOUT?.

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi !@Elky! Thanks for joining this thread.Team work is good. You have posted some great suggestions for the OP. I also find it strange to go from Home to Pro!
Good stuff in your reply! Thanks for helping!:wink:

Attachments

• Capture25.JPG
    Capture25.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 3

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Yes Holdum 2, 3 or more heads are better than one LOL.

As well, find the OPs situation strange. Don't even think one can upgrade from Home to Pro within Windows without paying first, correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe it's a case of "the cats away the mice will play" just dunno. Might be time for OP to contact place of purchase or Microsoft if they can't get to the bottom of it through the normal steps.

Portaldominates

Feb 14, 2016
Visit site
Nope, its already to late for that. I guess the only thing for me to do is to pay $80. I really don't want to have to format my drive, I have my development workspace setup and it took a few weeks just to get that way. Thanks for your help guys!

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi Guys! Are we having fun or what? Team work is a good thing. I would like to see more of it here on Windows Central!:wink:
All good stuff! Join me on a thread any time!:smile:

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077