Why can't I Jump Ship?!

Damian Powell1

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I've been having this problem since the inception of W10M, whether it be awesome features that I used to adore being removed the new features like tile sizes being a thing one day and gone the next, my frustrations with this OS has grown stronger and stronger, however... I can't seem to leave. Regardless of all the problems I face daily (even though those problems are being fixed through various updates) there's just something about W10M that keeps me here. Yes there's IOS and Android and I've used these and though stability is no concern here it's just the lack of a wow factor that never really keeps me away from my Lumia for too long. What's your Story?

G4Grandad

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Me too. There isn't a day goes by that I'm not tempted to throw my Lumia 830 at a brick wall. I bought one of the last Note 4's (with a reliable, removable battery like a Lumia) last year intending it to be a replacement for the Lumia when everyone was warning against updating to WM10. But I did update a couple of months ago and am very happy with it, except for the daily brick wall moment!
I'll stay with WM because, for me, It's the best looking, most practical and most secure OS. I'd love to get a new Windows phone but won't because the phone I have does just about everything a new one could do and I wouldn't spend a small fortune on the Elite for features I don't need/won't use.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I think it's because you might want to hold on to hope. There are some people around here that carry 2 phones daily, if not often. One is to stick with the platform and the other has apps that are lacking on Windows Mobile. For me, I have jumped ship I guess but I still use a Windows Mobile phone when I feel like it.

I have mentioned it before but the short version of things is that Windows Mobile is my idealistic choice in everything. The UI, the customization and generally how uniform it appears to be.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I have to agree wholehearted.

Even with the growing pains W10 is experiencing, I still find using iOS/Android disturbing.

RobbieRobski

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I have WP as my daily driver since wp7 first came out. Samsung Focus was my first smart phone. But I always owned android devices to fill the app gap. Aside from the app gap, for me windows crashes less, especially comparing gingerbread to wp7. I'm a simple guy, email calendar youtube twitter. Yeah some games every once and a while but that's it. My lumia 1020 was giving me problems where it wouldn't send texts until I rebooted, and sometimes I wouldn't receive texts for hours.

So I bought an Alcatel Idol 3 5.5" for 100 bucks. Loved the design of the device but even though I'd been using android for years with tablets and phones I bought just for playing with this was my first time using Android as my daily driver. And then you begin to learn the issues. I didn't like notifications on android Specifically ghost notifications for text messages. Where I have literally opened every text I receive and even go to the unread tab with nothing to show, but still have a notification number on the app icon on my home screen.

As a groove subscriber. For me, groove was worse on Android 6.1 than xbox music was on wp 8.1 Tracks would just pause during stream and if I got a text while listening to music in my car over bluetooth. Music would pause to play the text sound but it wouldn't resume after.

Some apps didn't give me notifications at all. Although maybe that's just a developer issue for said apps. There are bad apps on any platform (drawsomething on windows phone was the worst ever. They still sell this today and it wont even run).

Google keyboard aosp (atleast on android 6) is much better than the default kitkat keyboard but it's still bad. And worse, if auto correction fails you, backspace only deletes on character not the whole word. Swiftkey is just as bad in that respect. I only recently learned of google keyboard and it is much better because backspace will actually delete the whole word, but still not as good as windows was/is for me with regards to accuracy.

Word selection in android requires double tap. Maybe not a huge issue, but when your swipe keyboard fails to predict half of the time it gets annoying fast.

Copy and paste in android, always requires long press and it seems that copy and paste is not always available in every text box.
On wp8 and w10m selecting a word from a text box requires a single tap and then you have the handy copy icon that appears over the word and the paste icon in the keyboard auto correct area. I love copy and paste on windows, not so much on android.

On android, it seems to me you can only manage notifications on an app by app basis. Correct me if I'm wrong, but also if I'm wrong, it's not intuitive enough as a setting then. In windows 10 mobile you can go to notifications and see every app listed and you can toggle notifications on and off there.

It sucks on w10m we've lose the ability to use nicknames in cortana to call/text but overall I feel like I've been upgraded. Seeing as how I only just this month started using w10m thanks to the Alcatel Idol 4s I've missed a lot of the bad blood there was when w10m first came out. But as of today, I'm quite happy to be back on Windows.

And hey, we have the best youtube apps. I'm actually glad google has shunned windows, otherwise we wouldn't have tubecast and other awesome youtube clients.

Yes I have complained recently in other threads about some issues on my new phone. But maybe it was a fluke because they aren't happening anymore.

I totally understand the app gap is real and if you need something you can't get on windows. I don't blame you, but I can almost guarantee you'll miss windows for more than just 1 reason.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Agree with most of what everyone else has said. I still have an Android phone but find I am using it less and less. My 950 just seems to do what I need the best.

Kacchan

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
I find using android or ios inferior tbh. It isn't a good experience on android and it's passable but annoying with ios. So I jumped ship then right back on lol

Pynchmail

Sep 24, 2016
Visit site
I tried iOS and used it for 2 years, just cannot get used to iTunes and the sandbox file structure. I tried Lollipop and used for 4 months, didn't like the many notifications (although I can switch them off but quite a hassle), the occasional jerkiness (maybe on the new high end phone this will be less of an issue), the messy widgets compared to live tiles and Outlook that does not feel as smooth. The easiest way to solve the app gap (which I don't really have) is to get a cheap Android 7 inch tab for all those banking and other apps that we use very infrequently.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
If windows for you is all you need then stay! For the majority win10 lacks a lot in comparisons maybe not to you but to most win10 isn't enough wether it be apps,devices,feature etc. it might get better but it just doesn't look that way hence win10 market shares. But if it good for you then keep it for me my work, my circle,apps I use almost all day are not on win store nor will they come so I had to go plus wanted a good phone regardless of price and Apple offers that all day!

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Windows Phones and W10M sucks less than android or IOS.

I used to say the same about SUSE Linux - it sucked less than Windows. (I was referring to the horrible downgrade from Win2k that was XP.)

Sent from mTalk

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Tried android for a little while and just don't care for it. I recently tried out the iPhone 7 for a 24 hr. period and I might have stayed on apple if it were not for the incredibly frustrating problems with apple ID just to get an app from the store.

I just wanted to see what the others offered and am glad I stayed with windows for the reasons many mentioned here.

Especially now with the new Alcatel out it makes the windows experience that much better.

wgrs

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
If all things would work as designed, W10M would be quite nice.

But it is buggy as hell. Do a hard reset and then spend a whole day reconstructing your device. 30 minutes on iOS. Or the camera bug where it saves only 1MP files and needs reboots every few photos. Or live tiles not updating. Even a simple clock tile shows the wrong time, because Windows doesn't get such simple things right. I could go on...

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Based on Nadella's recent comments, it's only going to get harder for non-enterprise types (the majority of us). He's hoisted the white flag on the consumer market and set his sights on corporations with deep pockets. I can't say I blame him since people just didn't buy into Windows as an alternative to iOS or Android. With $30 L640s available at one point it's safe to say that if people didn't buy then, they won't buy now or in the future. As Libra mentioned in post #4, I'm one of those who carries 2 phones, though not simultaneously. My Alcatel has been relegated to weekend duty simply because of BBM. My Passport does all the heavy lifting during business hours and I'm more than fine with that.

I don't know what the future holds for this platform but you can best believe it won't address the app gap. That ship has sailed. All this talk of x86 emulation won't mean squat to us regular Joes. Continuum is still the ace up Microsoft's sleeve because there's nothing else like it. Before anybody mentions Andromium I suggest trying it. It's laughable at best.

There's always been the chants of "port Android apps" as the way to spruce up the platform. That would have been a good short term solution but there were those who felt it would've been a cop-out like BlackBerry did with OS10. True, but it's the reason my Passport is my daily driver and not my Idol.

Anyhoo, football's on and the bird's starting to overtake my senses and my sanity.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!!

Brandon Hobart

Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
I like Windows OS and I have been using it since I was a child. I have tried all of their versions XP, 7,8,10 except for Windows Vista. But when it comes to Windows phone, I don't like the UI. Even I don't feel they are user friendly. I have always used Android phones and have tried twice to switch from Samsung Android to Nokia Lumia. But failed attempts they were. Now, I'm once again thinking to replace my Android with the latest Lumia that I have found the most attractive till now. I hope that it will now meet my needs lol.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnsa3