Is anybody happy with Edge?

petvas72

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
I am seeing a lot of posts regarding Edge and how it lacks features, or how things do not work as expected to. Of course it is the nature of forums that people come to complain or ask for help on issues they are facing, but I was wondering, are there people here that are happy with Edge?
Do you use it as your default browser? What are your impressions?

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Yes I like it, for me its quick and snappy, default browser yes, the only fault or complaint I have with it is getting reading list to sync, I like to save pages for reading later, I add them to reading list on 1 device but they don't sync to other devices I might be using and decide to read the saved item on a different device like my phone,
when Edge first rolled out on production builds I noticed a RAM leak, pages would allocate RAM until there was no RAM left, FB was the worst offender/tab (Facebook) this seems to have been fixed, I have not had an EDGE crash in over 2 months now but at the beginning it was a mess for me.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I've been using it daily at home. Work is another story, still on Win7... Anyhow, for the most part, I like it. There have been a few instances where something wasn't working so I'd pull up the site in question on IE or Firefox to see if it was an Edge issue or just a site issue. The majority of the times, it comes down to an issue with the site as the same problem exists in other browsers. So much so, I've started to not check other browsers unless it's something I need to try and get through right then and there.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm back on Windows 8.1 so nope. It doesn't match what's on my phone either so the benefit isn't as there as it was with IE when I used WP8.1.

petvas72

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
I have an HTC 10, so I am using Chrome there, but I do not really care about syncing open tabs and reading lists between devices. I do most of my serious surfing on my Surface Book. Today I had performance issues when streaming to my Sony TV from the pocket casts website. Apart from that I am happy using Edge (for the moment). I still do not know if I will end up using it on the long run, since Chrome (and other browsers) offer more functionality. I like the looks of Edge and its text rendering.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I use it daily on my desktop, surface 3 and phone. I like it. However, for some reason on my Surface it routinely has to recover which is irritating.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

sonicmotion

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
I don't mind it, but Chrome is still my goto browser. If I had a windows phone, then I would probably use edge exculsivly, since I have an iphone I need a browser that I can use on both devices.

StayClassy101

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I've found edge a breeze to use and enjoy it's loading speeds. Especially when I don't have great reception and I'm looking for directions. It's a life saver

petvas72

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
I am starting to think going back to Chrome. Sometimes Edge will get unresponsive, or it will not render a page correctly. I was trying to translate something with Google translate, and suddenly Edge stopped being responsive. Chrome of course had no issue whatsoever with the same text. I am sure that Edge is a very promising browser, but I will go back to Chrome for the moment. I will check back Edge when a new update becomes available.

Update: I wanted to come back here and write that I would like to give Edge another chance, but then Edge could not load the windowscentral page correctly! How about that? It is really a shame, since Edge has really some nice features and is deeply integrated in Windows 10.

Last edited:

Demian Mioc

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Edge lacks lots of features, already present in other browsers. MSFT should keep IE and slowly replace it with Edge. Almost a year and still this browser isn't finished. Don't get me wrong, I love that browser and use it daily, Ask Cortana is awesome feature and extremely useful, making me productive even more. But there is room for lots of improvements and new features in Edge, settings look kind of ugly and not very convenient for use, extensions are really few in the store, crashing Edge or they just plainly suck. Pop up blocker is a hit and miss, and downloads, heh, they tend to freeze at some point, forcing me to download them again. Once again, I love Edge, but fix your s+++ MSFT! :)

Kong I

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
Edge so far has been good with the loading speed and it's interface, very fluid to me.

EXCEPT, I can't stay logged in to some website,e.g "nairaland". Am asking here if there is a work around to it? Plus they need to work on the download part. It seem not to download files completely. Perhaps there is a limit to it's downloads?

digitaldd

May 16, 2016
Visit site
Edge is OK, biggest issue I have with it is whenever I go to a very advertising heavy website it tends to lockup and need to recover the page.The same sites with Chrome will usually just slow the computer to a crawl and with Firefox or Opera bog the machine down only a little. This is without any adblockers being used.

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Opera has been my default browser for about a year now and IE before that for a long time.

I shifted to EDGE about a month ago because the latest update for Opera made the program freeze occasionally even after reinstalling it.

Still love Opera, and in my mind it's still my default browser but have been using EDGE with no issue.
Also installed AdBlock for quicker loads, Windows Central loads quickly on EDGE for me. For casual browsing it's up to the task, even my brother shifted from Chrome to EDGE some months ago.

Danobe

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
The thing that I don't like, and is the reason I don't use it as my daily driver is that I can't select numerous bookmarks and open them or move them. In other words, I'd like it if there was a good way to sort and use the bookmarks.
I went back to FF (64bit) and I am once again enjoying browsing. Edge is very promising, and I'll check back once in a while to see how it works. Which reminds me, I just received an OS update, so maybe there is an update to edge as well in the coming days.

petvas72

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
After a couple of days using Edge, I am fine with it, but I also see that it has issues that could make people stay away from Edge. Sometimes printing does not work. Some websites have rendering issues on Edge (for example engadget.com). Still, I prefer the way Edge displays and renders text on my Surface Book and this is the reason I am still using it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786