Cortana is dead. Or at least, not responding.

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
So since yesterday Cortana on my PC just hasn't been working for me. At all.

I click the bar to make it appear and Cortana says 'Hi!'... and that's it.

None of my interests or appointments or anything appear.

Searching for anything just brings up a white box.

Looking at my notebook leaves a white box.

Cortana simply does nothing.

Anyone have any solutions for this?

1.PNG2.PNG3.PNG

Nic_Leigh

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
I actually visited this forum for the first time in a while because I'm having the exact same problem! Cortana is doing absolutely nothing on my PC. On my phone, all is well.

This is quite disturbing to me -- first I quit receiving text messages on my PC (which I heard that Microsoft did on purpose, to try to fix something else...?), and now this. I rely on Cortana on both PC and phone a LOT. Come back to us, Cortana!

dmiller1969

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
It is conceivable that some vital code has become corrupt, perhaps a Windows Update did not install completely in the background and did something to interfere with the service. I would try to sign out of Windows (not shut down) then sign back in to see if doing so reloads your personal content from your Microsoft account. If that does not help, try taking a look at your recent Windows updates to see if there are any errors in recent updates (Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features > View installed updates). If no update errors are reported, you may need to refresh Windows to get Cortana back up and running. Personally, I hate having to do that because it wipes out all x86 applications, leaving me to reinstall most of what I use on my computer. However, sometimes it is the only way to fix a problem.

Nic_Leigh

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
It is conceivable that some vital code has become corrupt, perhaps a Windows Update did not install completely in the background and did something to interfere with the service. I would try to sign out of Windows (not shut down) then sign back in to see if doing so reloads your personal content from your Microsoft account. If that does not help, try taking a look at your recent Windows updates to see if there are any errors in recent updates (Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features > View installed updates). If no update errors are reported, you may need to refresh Windows to get Cortana back up and running. Personally, I hate having to do that because it wipes out all x86 applications, leaving me to reinstall most of what I use on my computer. However, sometimes it is the only way to fix a problem.

Thank you for this!! I tried signing out of Windows and signing back in, and that did the trick!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster