Should I upgrade to Windows mobile 10 from 8.1 ? (Nokia Lumia 1520)

GKL50

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
I recently bought a Nokia Lumia 1520 that came with Windows 8.1 and it seems to work fine as is, so is it worth it to upgrade to Windows 10 now or is there too many issues they still need to fix ?

The reason I ask is because of various problems some say they have had with Windows 10 mobile, and I am not sure if those problems are widespread or mostly limited to certain phones and/or a minority of users.

If I did decide to upgrade to Windows 10 and had problems is it easy to go back to Windows 8.1 if I choose to ?

Thanks !

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, this question has been asked innumerable times in these forums and the answer you will receive will most probably be the same. I won't tell you to or not to upgrade - that's not my decision to make. But I'll ask you a few questions that may help you in deciding:

1. Do you NEED to upgrade? In other words, is your phone working as you want it now or are you not able to do certain things with your phone if you don't upgrade?

2. In case you just WANT to upgrade, does your want outweigh the knowledge of the risks involved in upgrading, e.g. the bugs, and other unexpected behavior that have been reported elsewhere in these forums?

3. Can you afford a new phone in case something terribly wrong happens? Note that the upgrade may and most probably will void your "recently bought" phone.

If you're going to ask what I did, I upgraded my Lumia 1020 (yes, and older device than your 1520) and did not experience any major issues with it. But now I'm using an iPhone 6s, since the old hardware simply can't keep up with the new software.

GKL50

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for your reply !

I had read some of the reviews and it made me wary of upgrading to Windows 10 mobile, but I still asked as I was not sure how often updates were done to fix issues and if maybe Windows 10 mobile was much better now than in past months, if not I can wait as Windows mobile 8.1 seems to be working well.

So I'll probably wait for now to decide whether to upgrade to Windows 10 mobile to be sure it is more stable and has no major issues.

Of course I'm not yet fully knowledgeable as far as what major features Windows 10 mobile might offer that 8.1 lacks.

One review I read basically said that their phone run better and faster on Windows 8.1 mobile than Windows 10 mobile so that makes me more likely to stick with 8.1 unless I start reading later on where Windows 10 mobile is improved so it now runs equally as well.

Bottom line is that 8.1 with less features is better than 10 with more features if 8.1 runs a lot better, faster, and smoother without the issues I read that 10 has.

Thanks !

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
if you need to ask I'd say no, don't do it, because apparently you will be upgrading for the sake of it, not a particular reason other than being "up to date" and w10m is, simply put, NOT an upgrade or successor to "windows phone" in the same way that wp7 wasn't for wm6.5

and no, it will most probably never be able to run equally as good as past wp versions, that's no longer the development objective of this OS, and yes you will obviously see ever faster phones that seem to achieve that, but they are simply getting a battery life penalty in the process compared to what it would've been like on wp8.1

wait for the next major update on February, just as the previous redstone one it will probably bring a lot of very needed refinement, then if you actually feel the NEED to install w10m, it will probably be a good time to do so, way better than today

GKL50

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the insight !

I'll wait for a while AFTER that February update comes out to see what reviewers say after they used it for a while, but even if it's okay, I still might stick with 8.1 if 10 does not offer any major advantages.

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I would say, yes!!

Windows 10 Mobile flies on the Nokia Lumia 1520, I have one myself.

You can upgrade it using the "Upgrade Advisor" app and if the newer OS does not work for you, then you can always rollback using WDRT (Windows Device Recovery Tool)

Windows 10 Mobile however has many new functionalities over Windows Phone 8.1

There are also plenty of apps that are specifically "Built for Windows 10" so I think it's worth a try.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Do it. WM10 had a lot of problems in the past on all phones so it's a good question. But WM10 has been great on my 1520.3 for more than a month now, maybe more than 2 months; I didn't make a written note.

GKL50

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
I would say, yes!!

Windows 10 Mobile flies on the Nokia Lumia 1520, I have one myself.

You can upgrade it using the "Upgrade Advisor" app and if the newer OS does not work for you, then you can always rollback using WDRT (Windows Device Recovery Tool)

Windows 10 Mobile however has many new functionalities over Windows Phone 8.1

There are also plenty of apps that are specifically "Built for Windows 10" so I think it's worth a try.

Do it. WM10 had a lot of problems in the past on all phones so it's a good question. But WM10 has been great on my 1520.3 for more than a month now, maybe more than 2 months; I didn't make a written note.

Thanks for the replies and encouragements, it does make me want to try Windows 10 but I think I'll wait to see more replies just in case there still are some people having issues with Windows 10 on the 1520, let me see how many more replies (positive and/or negative) I get over the next week or so, and it may or may not change my mind about waiting till after the February update reviews to try it.

Thanks again, every reply is very much appreciated and taken into consideration !

wgrs

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
With W8M you'll soon lose Skype. I regard this as a big disadvantage.

Otherwise, W10M is permanently beta. Bugs everywhere, even in production. The good news: everybody seems to experience different bugs. Something works, something not. I believe the phone app is ok.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
From personal experience, the Lumia 1520 always felt was built to run W10M and not WP8.1. The OS is fluid, probably faster (less animations than 8.1) and stable...it has come a long way since last year...and is more inter operable with the new W10M specific apps.

Otherwise, W10M is permanently beta. Bugs everywhere, even in production.
That can be very well said about the latest 7.1.1 release from Google...and its better to not talk about iOS 10.x.

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm still running Windows Phone 8.1 on my Lumia 1520. The experience is just too perfect and flawless for me to risk moving to Windows 10.

It would be cool to run the new official Instagram app on 10, but other than that, I love too many of the little WP8 UI design elements that are lost with Windows 10 (such as square profile pictures rather than the circular design).

I will attest that I have tried two different Lumia 1020's which ran Windows 10 without any issues, and that phone isn't officially supported for the upgrade, so I've always expected that the 1520 would handle 10 just fine.

pbbomfim

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
Hey, Lumia 930 here. Basically the same hardware of 1520. Works just fi e. Some errors here ans there, but in general a very good experience. Never thought about getting back to W8.1.

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I agree with others here, Win10 is just a continuous beta experience. The L925 I use at work is flawless, it works first time, every time (running 8.1). Windows 10 whether an official release or a preview is buggy. If calls and texts are all you need, then it's fine as these work 100%, but other aspects can be quite flaky (is flaky a British thing to say?)... For the non-English out there, read flaky as unreliable :wink:

But... I'd rather have flaky Windows 10 Mobile than Android or IOS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb