re-installing my "free" windows 10 pro 64 upgrade.

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Here's how HTG explains this! How to Use Your Free Windows 10 License After Changing Your PC?s Hardware
Here's a link from MS. A little confusing. Hope this helps! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...o/ec1514bb-fbff-4c01-af00-393734845eaf?page=2
Here's a post taken from the above link and is the reason for my post #19.:wink: I hope this answers the question!
As usual Microsoft information about reverting to your previous version was misleading and incomplete. It is only after you have completed the upgrade to W-10 that you are told that if your copy of W-7 was an upgrade you lose it and cannot revert back to it, even if you have a valid product key. I don't like W-10 but it appears that I am stuck with it whether I like it or not. The original OS on my computer was Vista. I will try reverting to that and see if it works I would rather be stuck with Vista than this travesty labeled Windows 10.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Go into the control panel in WIndows 10>recovery>Advanced startup> restart now> On restart it will come up with a menu, select recovery options and reset this PC, select your options, if your going for a COMPLETE like format, select the option not to keep anything.

This will do pretty much a format and wipe everything from your C drive (it will ask if you wanted to wipe other drives on the PC, so chose wisely) and be like a fresh install.

I do this every 4-6 months as Windows 10 is worse that 7 on this aspect of getting bogged down..

badelhas

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Go into the control panel in WIndows 10>recovery>Advanced startup> restart now> On restart it will come up with a menu, select recovery options and reset this PC, select your options, if your going for a COMPLETE like format, select the option not to keep anything.

This will do pretty much a format and wipe everything from your C drive (it will ask if you wanted to wipe other drives on the PC, so chose wisely) and be like a fresh install.

I do this every 4-6 months as Windows 10 is worse that 7 on this aspect of getting bogged down..
Funny. I've got my windows 10 since the first week it was launched and it's working fine. But I guess it's time for a full reset as well. This method is much much easier than previous windows versions. And it's very stable. Love out.

Cheers

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Funny. I've got my windows 10 since the first week it was launched and it's working fine. But I guess it's time for a full reset as well. This method is much much easier than previous windows versions. And it's very stable. Love out.

Cheers

Don't get me wrong, it still runs fine for the most part but, after uninstalling and re-installing tons of programs (Not all Windows 10 store apps), boot up tends to slow down a little and it gets some issues here and there.

badelhas

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Re: re-installing my "free" windows 10 pro 64 upgrade.

Don't get me wrong, it still runs fine for the most part but, after uninstalling and re-installing tons of programs (Not all Windows 10 store apps), boot up tends to slow down a little and it gets some issues here and there.
Yeah, you probably right, my boot time is higher than a year ago. I'm just debating if I should reset or upgrade my Intel i5 Sandy Bridge 2500k overclocked to 4.4ghz to a 6600k or not. But from what I've read ,even if it's 4 generations apart the performance difference is not that great and AMDs lack of competition is to blame.
Oh, and upgrade my SSD from the OCZ Vertex 3 120gb to the new M.2 SAMSUNG 960 Evo.
What do you think?

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi! Here's my thoughts! You probably have a lot more programs then you had a year ago. How many are starting on start up, that don't need to be starting up.
I only have four. Two are my Anti-Virus programs.:wink:
PS here's a program from Malwarebytes that might help you! https://www.malwarebytes.com/startuplite/

Attachments

• startup.txt
    5.6 KB · Views: 3

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi friend! My bad! I run Windows Defender and Malwarebytes Pro in real time. Yes two Anti-Virus programs could be counter productive.
Malwarebyres will run along side any Anti-Virus program and IMHO adds another layer of protection. They protect you in different ways.
Thanks for your reply. I should have made myself clearer. I also run Malwarebytes Exploit. There are no conflicts. I have never been infected that I'm aware of.

badelhas

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Hi friend! My bad! I run Windows Defender and Malwarebytes Pro in real time. Yes two Anti-Virus programs could be counter productive.
Malwarebyres will run along side any Anti-Virus program and IMHO adds another layer of protection. They protect you in different ways.
Thanks for your reply. I should have made myself clearer. I also run Malwarebytes Exploit. There are no conflicts. I have never been infected that I'm aware of.

Thanks, I will follow your suggestion and have Windows Defender along with Malwarebytes installed.

Cheers

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss