I'm Losing My Memory

tbsteph

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I have an i7 desktop with 12 GB of memory. After a short period of use, Edge consumes 1-2 GB of memory with only 2 or 3 tabs open. Sitting idle, Edge continues to use more and more memory. Opening the same tabs in a different browser (Such as Opera) memory usage is stable and under 500 MB's.

(FWIW, I am running a fully updated copy of Win 10 non preview addition.)

After some research on Answers, I found many threads, going back at least a year, with users complaining about Edge's memory usage. I'm obviously not alone with this problem.

Any comments from the WC crowd?

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
This is common, and it gets better, what I mean is recent updates have addressed this issue, I was one of the first to report this problem and what happens is each time you refresh the tab (Facebook for example) the memory usage for that tab grows and grows, 1 single Tab can consume over 1 or 2 GB RAM, that tab will eventually crash due to memory shortage (memory used up) in my case I only had 4GB RAM in the first place so I noticed Edge crashing and wondered why, I then discovered what I called a RAM Leak, I will find the post I created and update this answer with it, as for a fix, I could not fix this issue but I did notice it get better with recent updates, I actually checked this issue on my system just last week and noticed large memory being used up on Edge, so still an issue but Edge has not been crashing as much (Facebook Tab was the worst for this) seems refreshing the tab adds to its size.
Edit>> as you can see here, this has been an issue from Day 1, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...f-memory/9e67c209-b906-46e6-8b7a-3b919012d6e5
I still don't fully understand how edge divides up Ram usage but it will dedicate as much as it deems fit, to keep that Tab running, could be a cache duplication error or some mix up with caching of data and pages, but I can tell you this is very common and there are dozens of threads about it. Simply google Edge RAM leak and you will see lots of posts.
You could try switching OFF page prediction within advanced settings in Edge.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss