Does GOOD for Enterprise work with Windows Hello on W10M?

zr2s10

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm considering a Lumia 950 for my next phone, and I have some general concerns, but one important thing is my email for work. We use GOOD for Enterprise, and I know that it's available for W10M, but not sure how well it works. It's got a bad rating, but alot of the reviews are outdated, for 8.1, etc. I didn't see anything about sign in security on the Store listing. I don't necessarily want to log into the email client with Hello, but will it at least allow me to use it to secure the phone? GOOD forces me to have a screen lock on my GS5A, so I assume the same on W10M. I'd like to use Windows Hello (though I never have before, not sure how good it works) if I can, but I'm concerned GOOD will block it out.

Does anyone have experience with this? I tried doing a search, but the word "good" is pretty vague and hasn't shown anything relative, lol.

rangerdogy

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Good will not require you to have a lock screen on your phone, nor will you be able to use the same signin to unlock your phone as Good. The two sign-ins are completely separate. So, you can use Windows Hello to unlock your phone or a PIN. To unlock Good, you will have to enter its own password (it does not support opening with Windows Hello).

In comparison to the versions on iOS and Android, the version of Good for WM is way behind. iOS has a nice feature to unlock Good with your fingerprint. The WM version does not support that or Windows Hello. The look and feel within Good is also behind on the WM version compared to iOS.

Unfortunately, my employer quit supporting using Good on WM devices. Hope yours does not also take that route!

zr2s10

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the response. On my S5A, it requires me to have lock screen protection, as an added layer of security. I tried to set it to swipe only, and it refused, saying that an application was requiring lockscreen. If GOOD for WM doesn't require any lockscreen, I should be okay, I just didn't want it to require me to use a PIN vs Hello. I assumed I would be required to do a separate password for GOOD.

I looked on the Store listing for GOOD, pretty much lines up with what you said. Everyone seems to hate it. I'm on the fence about switching to the 950 over my S5A, and this doesn't help much, lol. I should ask my IT dept first, to make sure they still support it. I know that they did at one point, but I'll be sure to follow up.

zr2s10

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Talked to IT, they said as long as GOOD supports Windows Mobile, then I can use it. But they said they didn't want to "support" Windows Mobile if they don't have to, lol. Apparently, there is NOBODY in my entire company using it (about 500 people on site, but likely only 50 or less using GOOD, maybe more worldwide). I said, "What do you have to do, beyond sending me a link, and signing me into the BYOD network?" She said they haven't signed any WM devices into it, so they're not sure how. Lol. Um, same way you do every thing else? She also said Surface devices were junk, and that nobody liked them that tried them here, but recommended other devices using W10? But she also had no definitive answer as to "why" nobody liked them. I'm thinking of switching just to mess with them now, lol

rangerdogy

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
There is some setting in the Good server that enables/disables operating systems which the IT department has to check to enable Windows phones. They can even enable or disable by version number if I remember correctly.

Hopefully your IT department can figure it out. Mine couldn't. Or rather, wouldn't. I researched and found the setting but, alas, could not get them to help.

zr2s10

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Well, I finally got the 950, ran it for a couple days to make sure I was keeping it, and then went to see IT. They were willing to try it out, and set me up. It took a few tries (like you said, hitting the right check boxes), but the guy that controls it was very accommodating, and had it figured out relatively quickly. And despite poor reviews for GOOD on the Store, I think it actually runs smoother than the Android version did on my S5A. It's laid out different, but it's a very Windows Mobile styled app, definitely not a crApple port.
And Windows Hello still works with GOOD running, and I can even still use a lockout delay. Pretty happy so far! A few small issues, but not too bad. Main thing is opening the camera under lock screen. For whatever reason, sometimes it won't show the picture in the photos app. It will show it if you go into the camera again, and hit the viewing box. So it's saving it, I think? But if it doesn't, that kind of defeats the purpose of having the button there and allowing it to open the app under lock screen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb