Threshold running better than Redstone

Marty89

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone think that the latest builds of Threshold were smoother and better than current Redstone builds? My 950 XL was faster, Windows Hello worked better, no issues with automatic brightness or waking up the phone to black screen.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
What is the "update limitation thing", and what "writing" are you referring to?
Some apps have updated their minimum requirements to only work on devices that received the Anniversary update in August. Skype is a great example, but I think Instagram and some others have also followed suit.

As for my writing statement, it probably wasn't the best usage of that term, but I see it as we no longer have a choice between the two because of what I just said. It might have seemed to work better (I mean Threshold) but what good is it if you can't update some of your apps because you want to stay there?

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Ok, I think I understand. But as long as the MS OS updates are backwards compatible in a sense, then we're good. In other words, if I want the latest Skype version and it requires Anniversary, then that's fine as long as the other apps don't break.

It seems to me that this is just something we'll have to live with from now on and it's related to the MS statement that Windows is from now on more like a service. I took that to mean more frequent upgrades with medium amounts of new features but also with bug fixes and optimizations. So we're beyond buying WXP, then having to buy the new W7 for new features, then W8 etc. I actually think it's an improvement, although it places big demands on MS to keep the upgrades nice and functional.

Essentially the alternative is "freezing" at some level and then just output bug-fixes and security updates, whereas newer versions of software taking advantage of new features requires new large OS installs, probably for pay.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, you got it. You could still use the app but it will never be able to update. It's fine for supported Lumias but sucks for the others that never got the update.

You're right, I hope that it will continue to improve!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb