Adobe digital editions on win 10 mobile?

Daedriel

Dec 29, 2016
Visit site
Our local library system uses the Adobe digital edition DRMed ePub format for its virtual book loans, and I'm trying to find some way of reading them on my phone. Tucan does a great job on other formats but does not support DRMed ePub. I have searched this forum and the web but not found anything - anyone have a solution?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Our local library system uses the Adobe digital edition DRMed ePub format for its virtual book loans, and I'm trying to find some way of reading them on my phone. Tucan does a great job on other formats but does not support DRMed ePub. I have searched this forum and the web but not found anything - anyone have a solution?

I would suggest seeing if you can open the book in Microsoft Edge. I have been able to read books from my library using that just fine, and it even syncs too.

Daedriel

Dec 29, 2016
Visit site
Thanks, but your library must use non-DRM books - I very much doubt Microsoft is going to put out a browser that opens Adobe DRM ePub files, they'd be sued. Anyone got a WIn 10 Mobile working to read Adobe Digital Edition library books delivered via Overdrive?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, but your library must use non-DRM books - I very much doubt Microsoft is going to put out a browser that opens Adobe DRM ePub files, they'd be sued. Anyone got a WIn 10 Mobile working to read Adobe Digital Edition library books delivered via Overdrive?

I only use OverDrive so I'm not understanding what you mean and I only read ePub books. Edge has added support for ePub books recently (there used to be a warning before but that no longer pops up). What I do is that I have bookmarked the page that my library uses for OverDrive (the specific page), go to my Loans and then tap to read the book now, rather then downloading it to the app. It opens a new tab with the book with no problem and the best part is that it syncs too!

I would recommend giving it a try for yourself.

Daedriel

Dec 29, 2016
Visit site
^^ Encouraging, I will try - thanks very much for the details! If your library is using Overdrive I would have to assume the books you borrow are DRMed. I have an unlocked book I have been reading on my 650 and I have been surprised how comfortable it is - I thought I'd need to buy a Kobo Aura but for now at least the phone is fine if I can get access.

Off to renew my library card.....

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
^^ Encouraging, I will try - thanks very much for the details! If your library is using Overdrive I would have to assume the books you borrow are DRMed. I have an unlocked book I have been reading on my 650 and I have been surprised how comfortable it is - I thought I'd need to buy a Kobo Aura but for now at least the phone is fine if I can get access.

Off to renew my library card.....

Let me know how it goes! I do this with my 650 as well, no problem. One suggestion I would give is to go to your library's website on your phone and connect to OverDrive that way and then bookmark/favorite the landing page.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Apologies for the double post but I read your post in the 650 forum and I would like to offer 2 suggestions related to this.

1) Skip the OverDrive app. It hasn't been updated in years. Why is this an issue? It is because it's kind of annoying. The app randomly crashes half of the time and you lose your place in the book. It would take you back to the place you was in when you last opened the app, which sucks. Also if you hit the back button by accident on the navigation bar, it can sometimes take you back in the book.

2) When reading books in Edge, change your theme to dark when you open a book. It's better for your screen. You can do that by tapping the icon next to the "A". Even if you close the book by accident, because of syncing, it will take you back to where you were when you reopen it.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720