Wireless continuum to a laptop

Evans Temu

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
I have constantly experienced problems with the continuum feature they launched with the anniversary update which allows you to connect wirelessly to your laptop. Needless to say, I haven't been successful with this. Not a single time.

When I go to 'Connect to a wireless display', my 950xl recognizes my laptop then when I connect with it, my laptop says 'Windows Phone is about to project' then my phone looses the wifi connection while still showing 'Connecting...' but to no avail.

Is it just me with this problem? Also any help here is much appreciated.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
When I go to 'Connect to a wireless display', my 950xl recognizes my laptop then when I connect with it, my laptop says 'Windows Phone is about to project' then my phone looses the wifi connection while still showing 'Connecting...' but to no avail.

What is your laptop? I can do it from my 950XL to Surface Pro 3

And do you get the warning you might have problems because the hardware wasn't designed for it?

Evans Temu

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
The laptop is hp stream 13 and no I haven't ever got that warning. It's just whenever I connect my phone must lose the wifi connection and I have to restart it to work again.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Sorry I don't have any other solution, only consolation I can offer is the experience is not really optimal on my sp3 and 950xl. Like it's a good feature for a dumb terminal type of setup but if you have your laptop, just use the laptop. Continuum it's a lot smoother on the X3 though! (tried at Microsoft Store)

I used to think I wanted to control my phone through my computer but with uwp and action center, those are way smoother/natural ways of working with multiple devices.

Connecting/projecting to existing screens is simply for increasing productivity when you don't have your main rig around, keeping your stuff close to you rather than opening it up on another machine or something, entertainment too like connecting to a big TV...

ErazerHead

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
What is Windows looking for when deciding if the hardware is designed for continuum or not? Is it a drivers whitelist? As far as I know Miracast, which is what wireless continuum uses, should work on bog standard WiFi.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo