Windows Mobile software update 14393.693.

Tejas Javery

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I just got the ota software update from Microsoft. Now the version is .693.
It is believed to be a cumulative update addressing many issues. No new feature has been added.

CraigCole

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Currently a non-insider, my AT&T Lumia 950 just got the .693 update as well. Sadly, I'm seeing no real improvement. This morning the back button stopped working (when pressed, the haptic buzz responded per usual but it wouldn't go back. A restart fixed this.), WiFi connectivity dropped AGAIN and the Twitter app crashed while attaching a photo to a tweet (probably unrelated to the OS, but still...). *Sigh*

BTK2912

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Since this update my 950 has to be restored several times per day, apps crashing, buttons inoperative, constantly loading and the list goes on and on.

CraigCole

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Since this update my 950 has to be restored several times per day, apps crashing, buttons inoperative, constantly loading and the list goes on and on.

No, no, you're confused. The W10M apologists will tell you those performance issues are "features," or that their phones "have never done any of that." :)

I'm increasingly fed up with the endless BS. Tomorrow I've resolved to buy an iPhone 7, a device that's smooth, swift and responsive, everything the 950 is not. I'm swearing off Microsoft's mobile offerings forever after putting up with this dumpster fire for more than a year; it's an abortion with a USB-C port...

Today my Lumia has crashed three times, most dramatically when a Facebook message came in, which caused the screen to go black and the alert tone to sound for 30 seconds before the phone rebooted itself. I literally could not make this stuff up if I tried. But I think the saddest part of all this is that I JUST HARD RESET IT TWO WEEKS AGO, doing everything from scratch. Apparently, making reliable software is simply an impossible task for Microsoft these days.

Player Piano

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
No, no, you're confused. The W10M apologists will tell you those performance issues are "features," or that their phones "have never done any of that." :)

I'm increasingly fed up with the endless BS. Tomorrow I've resolved to buy an iPhone 7, a device that's smooth, swift and responsive, everything the 950 is not. I'm swearing off Microsoft's mobile offerings forever after putting up with this dumpster fire for more than a year; it's an abortion with a USB-C port...

Today my Lumia has crashed three times, most dramatically when a Facebook message came in, which caused the screen to go black and the alert tone to sound for 30 seconds before the phone rebooted itself. I literally could not make this stuff up if I tried. But I think the saddest part of all this is that I JUST HARD RESET IT TWO WEEKS AGO, doing everything from scratch. Apparently, making reliable software is simply an impossible task for Microsoft these days.
I would suggest giving the insider slow ring a shot. After the latest production build my phone would also randomly reboot and then WiFi would also usually bug out once per day requiring a reboot. I jumped in the slow ring and all of those problems are now gone. WiFi is super stable and still no reboots since. I have not found a bug in the slow ring yet, much improved over the "anniversary update."

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site

Please give the explanation for why you have all these problems on exactly the same hardware and OS as me, yet I have close to none of them. I'd love to hear an explanation for just how this is the fault of the OS when I don't have the same problems, and neither do a lot of other people.

Look, I know it's super annoying to have issue with a product you paid for, but I'm not saying that I'm not seeing these issue just to annoy you or to "apologize for" Microsoft. I'm just trying to help you by limiting the amount of parameters you have to contend with. I could be quite, and they you'd have less information.

There's a thread here about the slowness of the photo app, or camera app, or both or whatever, and if a user simply reads some of the posts that amount to complaining about it only, then they'll come away from it with the notion that something is inherently wrong with the phone/OS, and that nothing can be done to solve it. But by other people chiming in - including saying that it actually works for them - you can start to narrow down just which parameters can be a problem. And in that case it's a very simple and completely reasonable explanation for the behavior, and there's really nobody to blame for anything on that issue.

So, it's not about being an apologist, even though that no doubt is more convenient an explanation for the problems you say you have.

CraigCole

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Please give the explanation for why you have all these problems on exactly the same hardware and OS as me, yet I have close to none of them. I'd love to hear an explanation for just how this is the fault of the OS when I don't have the same problems, and neither do a lot of other people.

Look, I know it's super annoying to have issue with a product you paid for, but I'm not saying that I'm not seeing these issue just to annoy you or to "apologize for" Microsoft. I'm just trying to help you by limiting the amount of parameters you have to contend with. I could be quite, and they you'd have less information.

There's a thread here about the slowness of the photo app, or camera app, or both or whatever, and if a user simply reads some of the posts that amount to complaining about it only, then they'll come away from it with the notion that something is inherently wrong with the phone/OS, and that nothing can be done to solve it. But by other people chiming in - including saying that it actually works for them - you can start to narrow down just which parameters can be a problem. And in that case it's a very simple and completely reasonable explanation for the behavior, and there's really nobody to blame for anything on that issue.

So, it's not about being an apologist, even though that no doubt is more convenient an explanation for the problems you say you have.

I don’t know, if I had an explanation of why my phone wasn’t working properly I wouldn’t be on here grousing in the first place. And to be clear, I’m not fabricating this stuff to make a stink or curry favor with other malcontents; if anything, I’m underreporting the issues I’ve had to deal with…

Great, you’re not having any troubles at all. I’m glad you haven’t had to deal with what I have. But how exactly are the issues I’ve faced NOT the OS’s fault when the OS is what’s constantly failing? I have a handful of the most basic apps installed, things like Facebook, Twitter, Netflix and WhatsApp; I’m not trying to jerry-rig Adobe Premiere Pro on it or some CAD program to design a jet engine. It’s 2017, basic functionality *really* shouldn’t be this hard. I'm not an IT expert, nor should I have to be one to get my phone to work as intended.

I’ve been facing serious problems and even the nuclear option – performing a hard reset and setting up from scratch, something MANY on this forum routinely recommend – hasn’t completely fixed them (In fairness, doing so did improve battery life, reduce overheating and make the photos experience more tolerable.). WhatsApp still doesn’t send me alerts (yes, they’re enabled), the screen occasionally won’t respond when a phone call comes in, the back button stops working at times despite registering presses, even the accelerometer randomly got stuck the other day, which prevented the screen from properly orienting itself. But the real kicker is WiFi. Why does it cut out eight or 10 times a day? My SP4 never disconnects, neither does our desktop PC, the Apple TV, HP printer or iPads, all of which are on the same network.

I’ve used Windows Phone since day one. I want it to succeed, I really do, but the endless issues I’ve faced, not to mention W10M's complete lack of polish, have COMPLETELY soured me to the whole thing. Consequently, I’m all out of s***s to give. I no longer care...

nzmike

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone please tell me whether or not legacy WP8.x apps (like WhatsApp) still run after build 693? This was a major issue when I was on the Insider fast ring (and slow ring for that matter) as WP8.x apps stopped working for many people (assuming everyone who updated to the early builds of 14393). When this happened all my older apps I still used (and ones I'd written myself) would just lock up when loading and I do not want to install this update if this still happens, *especially* if WhatsApp stops working - I rely on every day to talk to family overseas. I have a Lumia 950XL and a Lumia 1520 FWIW.

nzmike

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone please tell me whether or not legacy WP8.x apps (like WhatsApp) still run after build 693?

For anyone else that is wondering this, they do appear to work so it appears MS have fixed this bug in .693. But can anyone on the Insider Ring tell me if these older WP8.x apps still work? I really want to go back on the fast ring but won't do it until I know for sure older apps will still work.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiebention