How can I increase the frequency of "shadow copies" on Windows 10 ?

MainGoldDragon

Jan 25, 2017
Visit site
What I want is to increase how of Windows 10 creates "shadow copies" (I am not sure if that is the correct term).
I am talking about when you right click a file or folder and it has that "Previous Versions" tab. Usually, for whatever reason, no previous version show on that tab but with the program Shadow Explorer (a program I used when I still had Vista) it finds the previous versions.

I searched a bit and I found something called "File History" but that looks like it works as a backup and I can only enable it to store the "copies" to an external drive. I do not want that. I don't want a backup.

Then from "System" I found "System protection" (which sound more like a backup) but I only have 2 options there:
1. Adjust the Disk Space Usage, which I from what I understand it allows me to access version further in the past
2. And manually create a restore point at this very moment.

For 1. I do not really care that much to go in the past, usually I want to restore a folder about 10 hours ago, so the Usage for the purposes of going further in the past seems unnecessary to me.
But 2. is more like what I want. I manually created a restore point, I could not see it or access it from right clicking a file or folder and going to the Previous Versions tab, BUT I could access it from Shadow Explorer.

So basically I want to do 2. automatically. I found 2 articles from howtogeek.com:
*http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/change-how-often-system-restore-creates-restore-points-in-windows-vista/
*http://www.howtogeek.com/56891/use-windows-7s-previous-versions-to-go-back-in-time-and-save-your-files/

They are almost the same and the steps are very similar to Windows 10, but so far I have not seen any Restore Points created by either of those 2 ways.

Any suggestions ?

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi Welcome to Windows Central! When You click on "Previous Versions", these are Restore Points or File History. Restore points are created by MS after major up dates. You can create one manually. Here's a 'How To' from the forum. How to create a System Restore Point in Windows 10 with a simple double-click | Windows Central
File History is a W10 back up feature that backs up all your files. Here's a tutorial from HTG that explains this W10 feature. How to Use Windows’ File History to Back Up Your Data
If you need more help, please ask and I will try to help you!

MainGoldDragon

Jan 25, 2017
Visit site
Thank you, but you did not help me at all. It's actually like you didn't even fully read what I wrote.
And neither link you provided are really what I want. Though I could use the Windows Central link you provided to create a task that stars when I boot up my pc but the file which I need to run to create the restore point is unclear.

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi I read your question very thoroughly. The reason I didn't help you at all is because you have no idea what you asked for. Let me repeat myself. Previous Versions come from "File History" or "Restore Points"
That's the only place unless you use a 3rd party image program. I read every members post carefully before I answer. I my not get it right the first time, but I stay with the member until their problem can be solved if there's a solution!
Please read the fine print in my screen . FYI a shadow copy is used to create a image of your operating system. This is not my first rodeo!
Nor is this the first time I have answered this type of question!

Attachments

• Capture25.JPG
    Capture25.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 10

MainGoldDragon

Jan 25, 2017
Visit site
Please bear with me because I am not a fluent speaker.

You may have taken my reply as more aggressive than what I intended and you may have misunderstood me. But that's not what it's important right, also I do appreciate that you spend your time to help an idiοt like me.

Ok so, "shadow copies. As I said in the original post, I am not sure if that is the correct term to use but from the links your provided it looks like it is (?).
From How to configure the System Restore feature in Windows 10 | Windows Central:
This feature is like a backup, but not exactly
I don't know why, but I felt the need to write this part because this is what I need. I don't want a full back up.

Now, you said:
Previous Versions come from "File History" or "Restore Points"
"File History" is out of the equation. For the simple reason that I can not find any drives:(just realized there are no "spoiler" tags)
FileHistoryOnSettings.jpg
But I have 2 drives on my pc none of which appears:
  • C: for my OS
  • D: for storage
I pressed "More options", then "See advanced settings" and I'm greeted with this window:
FileHistory.png
And I can't Turn it on.
so this link How to Use Windows’ File History to Back Up Your Data can't really help me unless you can help me fix that problem, but then again... I don't know, that doesn't look like what I want.

In this link How to create a System Restore Point in Windows 10 with a simple double-click | Windows Central I make a short-cut on my desktop and every time I want to create a restore point I have to manually double click it and (I guess) it opens the Command Prompt... I want neither of them. I don't want to do it manually and I don't want to open the Command Prompt. I want it to be automatic like on start-up. I don't want to mix in any of my human errors.

Also I know he does at this link: How to configure the System Restore feature in Windows 10 | Windows Central it shows how to create a System Restore Point (which I guess it is all the same thing and possibly what I am looking for) but it's done manually.... which is not ideal as I said above.

I made an image hoping it will help and I have cut it into segments and numbered them:
Capture.png
  1. Shows what I can view from Shadow Explorer
  2. is a folder on my desktop that shows 1 previous version but not the rest
  3. Shows a short-cut on my desktop to a program but there are no previous versions
  4. is the same short-cut and I show you that it was created before the restore point but there are no previous versions available (I translated the day and month right above them)
  5. is a new restore point I JUST made from this link you have provided: How to configure the System Restore feature in Windows 10 | Windows Central and nothing changes on the Previous Versions tab of any file/folder

In case I have confused you:
What I want is to increase how frequent those "copies" are created, for example when I start-up my pc or whatever. There's got to be a way. I found that it's possible to create a daily task from the Task Scheduler but... I don't know. I need at least a full week to fully test it out.

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for your reply! I have given you every thing I know about your issue. I know nothing about your Shadow Explorer program. To use the File History, you need a external hard drive. I'm not aware of a way to create a restore point on a schedule. They are usually created by MS or created manually. The only way I know of achieving what your trying to achieve is with a 3rd party program like Macrium Relect that does incremental and differential back ups on a daily basis. The back up windows feature can be also achieve this, but will also require a external drive or a off line program.
Here's a tutorial from W10 forums how to use this feature. I have no more solutions for you. I don't mean to sound mean, but I don't think you have a clear understanding of the things I'm posting, so I won't be replying further. Maybe others will read this and reply latter.
I wish you luck with your issue. I have enjoyed trying to help you, but I really have nothing more to suggest! :wink:
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5495-system-image-create-windows-10-a.html

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hello! If WC staff is monitoring this thread, I would appreciate any responses you have. I have tried my best to answer this issue and It seems like I'm not progressing positively,so I have made my last reply!
Some fresh help would be greatly appreciated!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720