Best Bookphone? HP x3 or Alcetel Idol 4S or Lumia 950 or Acer Jade Primo or...?

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking I want to get an Continuum phone. I have a decent gaming pc so my needs for a laptop are very limited, to the point where a Continuum phone and a lapdock would literally be the simplest solution (a laptop would have to be left plugged in all the time or it would be completely unsyncronized with my PC and all the programs and OS would be out of date).

I intend to pick one up... soonish. Most likely March. By then money's not as much of an issue and I'll be able to afford any model. I'll be buying it straight from Microsoft unlocked if possible.

Which one do you think is the best one? And what's the best solution for a lapdock?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'd be partial to the 950 but that's just because it ticks some small feature boxes the others may or may not like Glance, Qi, a smaller size, a nice camera, etc. And I don't mind the older silicon too. I just bought my daily driver new a couple months ago and it has an SD 808 in it too so... However, I would just make sure that Continuum meets your needs. At least right now there is no snapping, only one iteration of Word and other apps at a time, no addons for Edge, etc.

SlideWRX

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Idol or HP x3. I like my 950, but I wouldn't mind the extra horsepower from the later processor. If the price for an x3 and its lapdock drop some more, it would be very appealing to me, even though I don't want a large phone.

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I think I might prefer the HP. The Alcatel seems to be REALLY well made (enough for Blackberry to rebadge one), but the HP is still the best of the best, and it has a branded lapdock to go with it.

But so far it seems the Alcatel will be a good second option. I just need a little baggier pants.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Price independent I would give the nod to the Primo as it comes with a nice bundle geared to Continuum. Price dependent I go with the Idol all day long and twice on Sundays. It's such a sweet device.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
New information has come to light where it looks like Acer won't be updating the Primo any more. So it looks like it won't be getting anything beyond 10586 and whatever cumulative updates MS puts out for that branch.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
950/XL, easily. As xandros9 pointed out, the Primo likely will not receive anymore updates. The HP Elite X3 simply costs too much. And long term support for the Idol remains to be seen. Given that the 950 is much cheaper than the competition, has a better camera, and is essentially guaranteed to receive updates, it's hard to imagine choosing anything else.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte