Windows mobile buying decision

yvsmadhav

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
I used a Windows powered smartphone many years ago and the experience really was not at all good.But the latest iteration seems to be good. Is it worth the money to buy a Windows mobile phone when the Andoids and the iPhone are doing so well?

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Depends on whether you need specific apps which are not available for W10M and if you really prefer the OS (or more like the UI) of W10M to Android or iOS

HM84

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
If you are interested in the eco system, rest assured that the OS is now *much* better than it was several years ago (I assume you are talking about WP 7). But considering that the windows powered phones are more expensive than their android counterparts, you would be better off getting an updated version of the phone you are using now. In my region the latest two (flagship) phones, Alcatel Idol 4S and HP Elite x3, aren't even being sold, which is a good indicator of how things will unfold sooner or later.

Recently, an article was published here showing how you can use an iPhone with Microsoft services exclusively, which was a generally successful experiment.

If you are still thinking of switching, and like me don't mind the app gap, then you can get your hands on a demo piece and see for yourself.

As someone who saw the OS evolve from WP 8, itself a prettier yet less robust OS compared to WM 6.1, to W10M, I would be happy to continue with the eco system, as long as it commits to existing. But right now it seems, as they say where I come from, that we were content with trouble, but it wasn't content with us.

wgrs

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Only if you can get a heavily discounted Lumia. 650/950, but pay not more than 200$ for the latter.

Otherwise, a 200$ Android, HTC or Moto, makes much more sense.

Faisal Islam2

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
Windows mobile is always unique!! Even though I know android & iPhone offering more than w10 mobile still my heart says stay with windows 10 mobile! But the way Microsoft is ignoring It's own mobile platform it makes me disappointed! They ditch the very great Lumia series , they says Surface phone coming don't know when! Big developers like Facebook,twitter still not supporting their best for windows mobile!! Day by day all those things preparing us mentally , finally its time to say good bye to window mobile! Because there is no such initiative from Microsoft to do such great things for It's own mobile fans!!

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Windows mobile is always unique!! Even though I know android & iPhone offering more than w10 mobile still my heart says stay with windows 10 mobile! But the way Microsoft is ignoring It's own mobile platform it makes me disappointed! They ditch the very great Lumia series , they says Surface phone coming don't know when! Big developers like Facebook,twitter still not supporting their best for windows mobile!! Day by day all those things preparing us mentally , finally its time to say good bye to window mobile! Because there is no such initiative from Microsoft to do such great things for It's own mobile fans!!
Give that man a Medal. !!

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
If you are interested in the eco system, rest assured that the OS is now *much* better than it was several years ago (I assume you are talking about WP 7). But considering that the windows powered phones are more expensive than their android counterparts, you would be better off getting an updated version of the phone you are using now. In my region the latest two (flagship) phones, Alcatel Idol 4S and HP Elite x3, aren't even being sold, which is a good indicator of how things will unfold sooner or later.

Recently, an article was published here showing how you can use an iPhone with Microsoft services exclusively, which was a generally successful experiment.

If you are still thinking of switching, and like me don't mind the app gap, then you can get your hands on a demo piece and see for yourself.

As someone who saw the OS evolve from WP 8, itself a prettier yet less robust OS compared to WM 6.1, to W10M, I would be happy to continue with the eco system, as long as it commits to existing. But right now it seems, as they say where I come from, that we were content with trouble, but it wasn't content with us.

When the Alcatel Idol 4s first came out it was exclusive for T-Mobile so many people, at least in the U.S. were upset that it wasn't more widely available. Then it became available unlocked, ans I bought one. So never say never my friend. We do have to be patient though and I'm glad I was. My Android phone is up for sale and I'm a happy Idol 4s owner. Hang in there,

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I used a Windows powered smartphone many years ago and the experience really was not at all good.But the latest iteration seems to be good. Is it worth the money to buy a Windows mobile phone when the Andoids and the iPhone are doing so well?

Where are you located?
It has come a long way and if you can purchase a newer phone you may be very happy.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

Matty

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site

That's a great question yvsmadhav, and everyday the goes by, that question becomes harder haha.

I would say, if you are happy to have a couple holes here and there when it comes to App selection. Then it should be absolutely fine. The phone is still able to browse the web and make phone calls without Apps! So basic functionality will still be there. I would say, definitely give it a try. W10 is a pretty great OS. But obviously a safe bet would be Android or IOS (for Apps)

Michael Amaleona

Jan 25, 2017
Visit site
Windows phone is great when it comes to durable and easy to used phone but when it comes to application windows phone is not so good at all because most of the developers of the application would like used android platform. So when if you're application fanatics I would not recommend the windows phone.

GN_Will

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Windows phone runs smoothly on most low hardware, this makes it possible to get a cheaper, yet capable phone. Although the apps cannot match that of Android or iOS, there are still plenty of essential apps you can get from the Windows store. I would recommend a Windows phone at anytime as it offers great experience.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro