Running WIndows 10 OS on iPhone (6s)

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Besides the potential issues, I doubt there is a big demand for W10M on an iPhone. The experiment with the Xiaomi Mi4, which was officially supported, doesn't seem to have expanded since that one.

In your opinion what was the hypothesis formed that led to this experiment? In other words what was the goal there?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
In your opinion what was the hypothesis formed that led to this experiment? In other words what was the goal there?

I really have no idea of the reasoning behind this experiment. Was it to try something new? To see how it performed? To see if it would take off? To see if Windows Phone would be a viable alternative to Android?

Maybe you saw this already, but I found this Windows Central article by John Callaham from almost 2 years ago that somewhat addresses their reasoning behind it: Xiaomi says Windows 10 ROM project for Mi 4 is an 'experimental program'.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Ok. Hugo explained it there as being led by Microsoft. So as far as what drove Microsoft to do that in the first place lays for the most part with Microsoft. I will poke around the forums more just cause I am curious now...

I share this a while back, that I had purchased a OP3 back when first released June 2016, thinking I might get a taste of W10M rom on Android HW. As it was a rumor at the time....

mikosoft

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Just as a reminder - Apple uses their own designed chips. W10M only runs on Snapdragon chips. Both Apple and Qualcomm chips are probably close to Cortex architecture but are not the same so it's not like installing a W10 on a x86/x64 architecture chips which share the same instruction set and are well documented.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ This is incorrect. Cortex is a brand name for ARM's own CPU designs, just like Snapdragon is Qualcomm's. Apple, Qualcomm and ARM all design CPU's based on the same ARMv8 instruction set architecture. In that sense it's exactly the same as installing W10 on a x86 or amd64 based system.

The differences between these company's mobile SoCs have little to do with the ISA. The differences stem from all the other subsystems built into a SoC (radios, gps, media processors, DSP, etc).

W10M could be made to run on, say an Apple A9, but this would require that new drivers be built specifically for that hardware configuration. I don't know if Apple provides the technical documentation that would be necessary for developers to build such drivers. I suspect not, which means only Apple and MS could build such drivers in a reasonable amount of time. That won't happen anytime soon. So, while W10M running on an iPhone is technically possible, it's highly unlikely to become reality.

Last edited:

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I share this a while back, that I had purchased a OP3 back when first released June 2016, thinking I might get a taste of W10M rom on Android HW. As it was a rumor at the time....

As I recall there were rumors of WP ROMs coming to more Android phones, but I'm not sure they were substantiated. I am curious as to why Microsoft did not pursue this further. Was it an experiment that proved too difficult? Was there insufficient demand to make it viable? Were there legal roadblocks?

My guess is that it was a combination of these factors; possible, but not simple enough to make it worth it based on demand. Maybe some licensing issues were in the mix as well. Who knows? (I wish I did know!)

Chemy JMHT

VR Expert
Nov 6, 2016
Visit site
Maybe not as collaborative as the rest, but this guy claims you can do it:

I like the idea to break some barriers and try it, the main problem without just using an emulator I think is the fact that the CPU is not a popular CPU used by Windows OS, so that will be a problem, most of the other components are third party so I'm pretty sure if you search enough will find a compatible driver.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ almost all components are part of Apple's SoC. What third party components are you talking about that would require a driver?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Maybe not as collaborative as the rest, but this guy claims you can do it:

I like the idea to break some barriers and try it, the main problem without just using an emulator I think is the fact that the CPU is not a popular CPU used by Windows OS, so that will be a problem, most of the other components are third party so I'm pretty sure if you search enough will find a compatible driver.
That type of emulation/control of an operating system has been around forever. That is not what the original post/statement was about. Running an OS FROM another devices UI is easily done if you want to. Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the poster was toying with the idea of installing Windows 10 Mobile on to an iPhone. Which is a whole other perspective (literally :)).

Chemy JMHT

VR Expert
Nov 6, 2016
Visit site
That type of emulation/control of an operating system has been around forever. That is not what the original post/statement was about. Running an OS FROM another devices UI is easily done if you want to. Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the poster was toying with the idea of installing Windows 10 Mobile on to an iPhone. Which is a whole other perspective (literally :)).

Yes I think I got that too, that's what I meant with the comment " the main problem without just using an emulator I think is the fact that the CPU is not a popular CPU used by Windows OS".

It's a challenge for sure, but if someone has the will I'm sure it can be done, but it's not only matter of knowledge and time, but also the way to get the table of commands from Apple for their CPU.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Yes I think I got that too, that's what I meant with the comment " the main problem without just using an emulator I think is the fact that the CPU is not a popular CPU used by Windows OS".

It's a challenge for sure, but if someone has the will I'm sure it can be done, but it's not only matter of knowledge and time, but also the way to get the table of commands from Apple for their CPU.
To have the time yes..most definitely. Remember Sega Saturn? It took 20 years for someone to come along with the time and resources to finally crack it...Sega Saturn CD - Cracked after 20 years

Chemy JMHT

VR Expert
Nov 6, 2016
Visit site
Yes because was maybe just one guy in their spare time doing it, the iPhone jailbreak is achieve in days sometimes and it's claimed to be one of the most secured system, nobody cares if the Intellivision is or isn't cracked, but with bigger demand it will have more people working on it.

I don't think right now anyone with the correct skills is doing that.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Like my first post above. Give it a whirl at compiling/porting windows to non/not yet supported hardware. Or at least look into what it would entail. And yes jailbreaking is available and has been for a long while, but that's only the starting point. I'm not going to say it's impossible. To me nothing is impossible unless you're just not willing to try.

mikosoft

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Cortex is a brand name for ARM's own CPU designs, just like Snapdragon is Qualcomm's. Apple, Qualcomm and ARM all design CPU's based on the same ARMv8 instruction set architecture. In that sense it's exactly the same as installing W10 on a x86 or amd64 based system.

Thanks for clarification. The way Apple always makes it sound is that the instruction set is different/modified. Seems like it's more about the microarchitecture design + peripherals. I never looked deep into it. Shame on me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa