Is Continuum the future of how a smartphone should be?

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
If Apple did Continuum but using an OSX desktop it would be pretty epic to be fair :p

Android doesn't really have a well known and well used equivalent to push for a Continuum clone mind. I think that will be their disadvantage; it'll just be Android on a TV. It won't be Windows. Windows comes with very positive connotations in a desktop environment.

I feel the same. To be honest I don't need my android device to be blown up to be used elsewhere. It's just not that useful but as you said if it's Windows that's a different story for me.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
I once had a pocket-sized computer back in the1980s, was the TRS-80 PC-1 Pocket Computer..
I still have my Model 1 TRS-80 sitting next to my Macintosh SE/30.

Continuum really isn't that useful on it's own. There's no printer driver or scanner support, you can't join a domain, browser plugins are (obviously) non-existent, and W32 apps don't work.

That said, I do use it daily at work.

I have a remote cubicle where I spend an hour or two with some of my staff. Instead of a domain-joined desktop or laptop, I just plug my X3 into the monitor (24") and remote into my desktop in my office.

QpuCQuG.jpg

I'd like dual monitor support next so I'll work on that when we get in the next shipment of monitors.

Here's where I see continuum as a 1.0 release of an idea. Sure it works but it will be something more. Leveraging the cloud and connected apps, it will be the future of computing.

http://www.perfectreign.com/2017/03/personal-computing/

People my older son will each need their mega gaming desktop devices to play the latest game, edit video, or do heavy coding.

Both of my boys already use Google Education and not local installed Office for school work. Much of their personal life is in Skype or FaceTime. They don't need a desktop for moat of that. Even my older son wanted to show me a draft video, brought his Galaxy S7 out, and casted to our 42" TV instead of having me go in his room.

Sent from mTalk

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Don't you think there's a large market of business/mixed with consumers who are using both a desktop/mobile device for work though? That would work perfectly for me and I think countless others.

There may be, as long as you're only doing simple tasks. I'm an engineer, so while I do use a fair bit of software that will run happily on a phone (MS office and email clients, for instance) there are programs where even laptops are a nuisance and I really want the grunt of a desktop.

The one aspect I'm not too sure about in a consumer sense is that you need a dedicated space to keep a monitor and peripherals. Basically with a continuum dock, you'll have everything except the box with the smarts. In my mind, might as well just add that, and have a whole discrete system that anyone can use, rather than the components waiting for someone to dock into. Meanwhile, if you already have a desktop or similar setup, it's not exactly neat to go from one to the other. With my desktop setup, I'd have to disconnect the monitor, keyboard and mouse to connect to the dock.

Workplaces, with laptop docks, have been doing it for ages. It's only logical that this would have a really good fit in the enterprise sector since it's only a hardware update, and it probably comes out much cheaper as well.

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
There may be, as long as you're only doing simple tasks. I'm an engineer, so while I do use a fair bit of software that will run happily on a phone (MS office and email clients, for instance) there are programs where even laptops are a nuisance and I really want the grunt of a desktop.

The one aspect I'm not too sure about in a consumer sense is that you need a dedicated space to keep a monitor and peripherals. Basically with a continuum dock, you'll have everything except the box with the smarts. In my mind, might as well just add that, and have a whole discrete system that anyone can use, rather than the components waiting for someone to dock into. Meanwhile, if you already have a desktop or similar setup, it's not exactly neat to go from one to the other. With my desktop setup, I'd have to disconnect the monitor, keyboard and mouse to connect to the dock.

Workplaces, with laptop docks, have been doing it for ages. It's only logical that this would have a really good fit in the enterprise sector since it's only a hardware update, and it probably comes out much cheaper as well.

Absolutely agree. I think it's for a select group in Enterprise who don't deal with graphic intensive or processor intense programs.

I'm in the financial field and there's not a single program that I don't think would run perfectly fine on a mobile device if done properly.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
My use case is evolving but I find that while having a work supplied laptop, I can still keep my personal stuff of it using continuum connected to the the work laptop. If I need more umph, I remote desktop connect to my personal machine.

Maybe I'm a bit paranoid for silly reasons.

lmcdo

Apr 4, 2017
Visit site
Not to revive a dead post, but I found difficulty finding Microsoft's HD-500 dock until very recently. Am I missing a vendor I should know about?

Also, has anyone tried using any of the Plugable docks, and if so, what's the compatibility like?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte