Worth changing L640 for L950 at present time or wait?

Yiannis_P

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Reading all those things about Windows on ARM, cloud version of W10 and the generic idea of Microsoft replacing Windows 10 mobile for something else I was wondering if it's right to buy Lumia 950XL to change my (beloved) Lumia 640. I know we have to wait for a long time to see new windows phones but I wouldn't like to buy it and after some months stop being updated

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The only reason I would get a 950/950XL over a 640 right now is if the price makes the hardware, and only the hardware (and hardware related features like Continuum) worth the markup.

I think it's safe to say that Microsoft's mobile offerings are about to see another schism like between WP7 and WP8 within the next 5 years. (whether a clean break or one that relegates W10M to play second-fiddle on lower-end devices.

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I think when it comes to the line of support, the 950s will probably have longer support over the others. If you want to try it, just go for it if you can find a good deal.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Definitely, even if its just for the camera itself. Hope you are able to find cheap deals for the 950...!

.... !!!

madcursor

Jan 25, 2017
Visit site
Definitely go for it. Hardware wise it is a no brainer and in terms of software, there is not expected to be any significant changes for the next year and a half (maybe longer) or till surface phone is launched, even after that the support will remain.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
.. and hardware related features like Continuum) worth the markup.
This.
I couldn't get the hub when I got my 950XL, as it was out of stock. But I'm using it on my TV, via a MSFT wireless display adaptor. A bit clumsy but the potential is huge when properly set up...
.. yeah, go get the 950

.... !!!

Kot Prada

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
Reading all those things about Windows on ARM, cloud version of W10 and the generic idea of Microsoft replacing Windows 10 mobile for something else I was wondering if it's right to buy Lumia 950XL to change my (beloved) Lumia 640. I know we have to wait for a long time to see new windows phones but I wouldn't like to buy it and after some months stop being updated
I've made a conclusion for myself, that Surface Phone and ARM game will last minimum a year... therefore, You should have something comfort for next 1-1,5 year. And 950/XL fits that conclusion.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I've made a conclusion for myself, that Surface Phone and ARM game will last minimum a year... therefore, You should have something comfort for next 1-1,5 year. And 950/XL fits that conclusion.

Even if the Surface phone comes earlier, phones like the 950xl will keep working for quite a while. I think it's a good move.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I think if you want to stay with Windows Phone you have to do it. If you wait much longer, you won't be able to find the Lumia 950 or XL anymore and if something happens to your 640, you will be out of luck. Lumia's are end of life and we have no solid evidence showing any other windows phones coming out this year. I'm in the same boat. I was hoping to hang onto my 1520 until we could see how things are going to play out with a possible Surface Mobile and Windows Phone in general. But, now my battery is going and if I wait much longer, I won't be able to find a Lumia 950XL to replace it. If you want to make sure you can stay on Windows Phone, you should probably do it.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
im sure your stay on w10m wont be as irritating and painful as it might be today on that 640, just dont pay more than 200$ for the 950

I just dont see how anyone can stand a 1gb w10m device today, looking at a 830, 928 and my icon side by side they just feel unusable, the 830 is barely any better than the 928 afaik

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I just dont see how anyone can stand a 1gb w10m device today, looking at a 830, 928 and my icon side by side they just feel unusable, the 830 is barely any better than the 928 afaik

I own the 830, 650 and 950, all running W10M (same builds), apps, etc. Upon doing a comparison between the three I do not find a HUGE difference say w/950 over the 830/650 when doing what I'd consider normal tasks, yes it is evident (at times) but not like it's night and day. When I said "at times" that is because on several occasions while opening same apps the 950 looked to be the clear winner, but lo and behold my 650 trumped it by being the one "fully" ready for action, sooner. If my 830/650 runs an app and I see loading/resuming or the spinning dots pretty much same happens on 950. I attribute these fact to W10M not being tweaked efficiently to use the extra processing power/ram.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I own the 830, 650 and 950, all running W10M (same builds), apps, etc. Upon doing a comparison between the three I do not find a HUGE difference say w/950 over the 830/650 when doing what I'd consider normal tasks, yes it is evident (at times) but not like it's night and day. When I said "at times" that is because on several occasions while opening same apps the 950 looked to be the clear winner, but lo and behold my 650 trumped it by being the one "fully" ready for action, sooner. If my 830/650 runs an app and I see loading/resuming or the spinning dots pretty much same happens on 950. I attribute these fact to W10M not being tweaked efficiently to use the extra processing power/ram.

well you see that's the real problem, that there's no consistency with w10m whatsoever, it might run well or totally unusable on any random phone, as for my experience the 1gb devices are irritating AF when multitasking, apps like whatsapp are beyond repair since they are pretty much intentionally made to show a loading screen, so I rarely ever use them, maybe that's why your 950 doesn't feel that different, its essentially condemned to show loading screens no matter how fast it is

of course there won't be a difference in a chat app while doing, well, chatting, I suppose that's what you consider "normal tasks"

Yiannis_P

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
950 doesn't feel that different, its essentially condemned to show loading screens no matter how fast it is

loading/resuming or the spinning dots pretty much same happens on 950

That's the exact reason why I hesitate with 950. I tried a demo device and it wasn't as snappy as I was expecting to be. Then again, maybe future windows or app updates will eliminate slow loading screens. Assuming of course that besides the slow launching, app performance and multitasking will be perfect on hardware like this.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Originally posted by Awhispersecho
I think if you want to stay with Windows Phone you have to do it. If you wait much longer, you won't be able to find the Lumia 950 or XL anymore and if something happens to your 640, you will be out of luck. Lumia's are end of life and we have no solid evidence showing any other windows phones coming out this year. I'm in the same boat. I was hoping to hang onto my 1520 until we could see how things are going to play out with a possible Surface Mobile and Windows Phone in general. But, now my battery is going and if I wait much longer, I won't be able to find a Lumia 950XL to replace it. If you want to make sure you can stay on Windows Phone, you should probably do it.

Yep. I have an L930 but I'm picking up my 950XL tomorrow for the reasons above. I even looked at getting an 8 inch Windows tablet with 4G sim instead, but the only one I could find in the UK was a toughened jobbie that was too bulky. 950/950XL or expensive HP Elite are the only options now unless you live in range of the one phone company in the whole world that sells the Alcatel alternative. Yep, they are still playing the exclusives game. My, that phone will be popular. So, unless you are planning to spend out on the Elite, grab a 950 today. We're drinking in the Last Chance Saloon and they just called time.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
That's the exact reason why I hesitate with 950. I tried a demo device and it wasn't as snappy as I was expecting to be. Then again, maybe future windows or app updates will eliminate slow loading screens. Assuming of course that besides the slow launching, app performance and multitasking will be perfect on hardware like this.

that's because half the software is not even aware of the 950's existence, if you stick to modern UWP apps you will see it fly compared to lower end phones, but even then a 930 is hard to tell apart from a 950, only camera and browsing show a noticeable improvement

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
that's because half the software is not even aware of the 950's existence, if you stick to modern UWP apps you will see it fly compared to lower end phones, but even then a 930 is hard to tell apart from a 950, only camera and browsing show a noticeable improvement

Not sure I'd be so quick to use the term FLY when describing the 950 over some lower-end phones, even when running UWP apps. Still too much inconsistency w/W10M that it hinders day-to-day use, at least that's been my experience. And contrary to what many say about Android, I just have to use my same/similarly spec'd LG G4 to see how a well implemented OS can make a huge difference. The G4 is so much more fluid/smoother to use making for a very pleasurable experience.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Not sure I'd be so quick to use the term FLY when describing the 950 over some lower-end phones, even when running UWP apps. Still too much inconsistency w/W10M that it hinders day-to-day use, at least that's been my experience. And contrary to what many say about Android, I just have to use my same/similarly spec'd LG G4 to see how a well implemented OS can make a huge difference. The G4 is so much more fluid/smoother to use making for a very pleasurable experience.

There are too many variables within our way experiences to make assumptions. While I wouldn't say the 950 "flies", it's no slouch either. Certainly a worthy device for those who enjoy the Windows experience.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
There are too many variables within our way experiences to make assumptions. While I wouldn't say the 950 "flies", it's no slouch either. Certainly a worthy device for those who enjoy the Windows experience.

This.
I have no regrets owning the 950 again. As a native Windows 10 Mobile phone, it's nice. I'm a fan, I just wish that the battery life matched my other phones.

I had a 640 and on W10M, I was not a fan. Too slow, at least consider the 650.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb