SMS messages for contact being split

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
So just recently, starting with 15025 build now with 15031, texts from my wife have been*getting split into separate threads. No history on the new ones, like its*a new contact. When I click on her name in the thread, its the same contact and linked contact as the original. What gives?

thomasOmorrell

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
That happened to me today also. I'm using a 950xl on production build. Just with one contact. I'm on at&t. I wonder if it is a network thing more than OS thing.

jeffmparker

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
Same problem here, but much much more too, unfortunately. Lumia 950, latest production build 10.0.14393.693. I also have 2 x desktop PCs (one running Fast Insider Ring, the other Slow) and one Surface Pro 3 running the normal latest production build. All are logged in with the same Microsoft Account. I also have an Office 365 work account, accessed with desktop Outlook that is my "source of truth" for contacts. My Microsoft Account has this work account attached to it.

I currently have six pairs of contacts, i.e. that I've discovered so far from over 3,000, who have had either all SMSs or a subset of SMSs wrongly attached to another contact, and very bizarre automatically created profile links (i.e. without even similar names, phone numbers, email addresses, etc.), which have proven difficult to unlink, particularly when SMSs are incorrectly attached to the wrong contact.

It all seemed to start straight after outlook.com was moved to the new exchange platform. Not sure it is related, but probably is. I'm finding that a whole lot of new contacts are being created automatically in outlook.com's people app, but I can't work out what's causing this.

I also have Skype Preview working on each of the devices. Again I'm not sure if this is making things too complicated for the MS contacts ecosystem.

This is a very serious problem for me, and resulted in me sending a business SMS to the wrong person the other day, i.e. before I had discovered the error for that contact. Very embarrassing, but also potentially quite damaging. I've spent probably 15-18 hours so far trying to fix these problems, which has included renaming contacts and unlinking and linking contacts. Every now and then, outlook.com decides the fix I did was incorrect and relinks contacts that shouldn't be linked. It is very exasperating.

I have noticed that the Messaging app on my Surface Pro and that on my Lumia 950 do not always show the same SMSs for the same contacts. It all seems to be quite a mess and I'm at my wits end about what to do.

Anyone else experiencing this or similar? Any ideas please about how to fix things?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans