Bad experience with windows maps

lucky4ansh

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
It doesn't seem to find me. The only place it works is at my home and all other places I get an error "We cant seem to find you" but google maps is spot on.

I have downloaded offline maps.... the location is on... cellular network is 4g enabled. But still it cant figure out where exactly I am.

MS need to improve a lot on maps. I am not sure if 950 xl supports gps as it only tracks location via cellular data and if that is unavailable, it simply wont work.wp_ss_20170214_0001.jpg

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
It doesn't seem to find me. The only place it works is at my home and all other places I get an error "We cant seem to find you" but google maps is spot on.

I have downloaded offline maps.... the location is on... cellular network is 4g enabled. But still it cant figure out where exactly I am.

MS need to improve a lot on maps. I am not sure if 950 xl supports gps as it only tracks location via cellular data and if that is unavailable, it simply wont work.

A simple phone reboot. Maps sometimes doesn't start and forgets asking location access permission to user.
And obviously 950 got gps and support it.

Axeelant

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Something changed... They don't work as well as they used to, plus offline maps rarely find an address when you search for it. Location seems to be an issue sometimes.

Update is needed for sure.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I only actually started using Windows Maps properly yesterday. I wanted to set a Home location for Cortana but it seems pretty difficult to do something that should be much simpler. For your location issue, on a desktop PC, can you be found using Maps on that? If you get the same thing, it could be an overall app issue. As said though, try restarting the Maps app.

One of the upcoming Creators Update features for mobile is the ability to reset stock apps if they mess up. This would be useful in this situation, but trust Microsoft to just keep us all waiting!

lucky4ansh

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I only actually started using Windows Maps properly yesterday. I wanted to set a Home location for Cortana but it seems pretty difficult to do something that should be much simpler. For your location issue, on a desktop PC, can you be found using Maps on that? If you get the same thing, it could be an overall app issue. As said though, try restarting the Maps app.

One of the upcoming Creators Update features for mobile is the ability to reset stock apps if they mess up. This would be useful in this situation, but trust Microsoft to just keep us all waiting!
My desktop PC is basically which is at work. I have a windows tablet at home. I have no issues with maps when at home. It shows location, provides directions, shows traffic info... but when I step out to work... We cant seem to find you. Also, it shows inaccurate information somwtimes. It has started showing the longest possible route to the destination where as google maps shows much shorter route.

I use google mals on the web and is much accurate.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Of late the windows maps are having issues- my location can take time being found but it works faster if gps was set to be on always instead of switching on when needed

And location can be found faster if you're outside in the open rather than inside a building or heavy vehicle like a bus

lucky4ansh

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Of late the windows maps are having issues- my location can take time being found but it works faster if gps was set to be on always instead of switching on when needed

And location can be found faster if you're outside in the open rather than inside a building or heavy vehicle like a bus
My home is much more enclosed than the office and the gps reception is fine... worrying part is... it doesnt even find my location outside, clicking on location immediately pops the error as we cannot find you...

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Does this happen on both wifi and mobile data? In the screenshot you are using 4G. Does it happen the same on wifi? Chintan is right. You may not be found because the device simply cannot get a signal, due to circumstances that are nothing to do with the app itself.

lucky4ansh

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
It works fine on mobile data at home network... and when outside... we cant seem to find you... :D... I have uninstalled maps and wrote a review "I can't seem to find this app"

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
My home is much more enclosed than the office and the gps reception is fine... worrying part is... it doesnt even find my location outside, clicking on location immediately pops the error as we cannot find you...
It almost sounds like your gps chip is simply not working. Inside WP can use your wifi info to figure out your location, but outside it needs gps.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
If it can't get GPS it will use the mobile network to get a fix from several phone masts. Sounds like when it does get a GPS signal, something is going wrong but the phone won't fall back to the mobile network because it has a GPS signal so that should take priority. So, if other apps can use true GPS fine, a hard reset should solve your problem. If all GPS apps show this issue then a hard reset may work. If not, you could try a full reflash of the phone as a last resort. If that fails, it must be a hardware fault.

matt john2

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Did you happen to put the offline maps in your external storage? Usually I've had the same issue few months back when l put the offline map in my SD card. But I think they have fixed the issue I mentioned because all my offline maps are now in my SD card and I'm not have any issues nowadays except for the Maps App being downright terrible.
Or perhaps you're having different types of issue, hardware problem perhaps? I dont know.

lucky4ansh

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
If it can't get GPS it will use the mobile network to get a fix from several phone masts. Sounds like when it does get a GPS signal, something is going wrong but the phone won't fall back to the mobile network because it has a GPS signal so that should take priority. So, if other apps can use true GPS fine, a hard reset should solve your problem. If all GPS apps show this issue then a hard reset may work. If not, you could try a full reflash of the phone as a last resort. If that fails, it must be a hardware fault.
I dont think its an hardware issue. Other apps use the location function fine. No issues with weather, facebook checkins or the google web app.

lucky4ansh

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Did you happen to put the offline maps in your external storage? Usually I've had the same issue few months back when l put the offline map in my SD card. But I think they have fixed the issue I mentioned because all my offline maps are now in my SD card and I'm not have any issues nowadays except for the Maps App being downright terrible.
Or perhaps you're having different types of issue, hardware problem perhaps? I dont know.
I have stored maps in the device. I moved it to sd card... but it still finds location outside... the map websites do fine whether bing or google. the only option left is to wait for an update.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site

MS need to improve a lot on maps. I am not sure if 950 xl supports gps as it only tracks location via cellular data and if that is unavailable, it simply wont work.View attachment 133859

I had this with my 830...
It can't spot me, or when it does I'm some 100-400 metres off. I gave up after awhile..
I'm on Insider, so after one hard reset. .it magically became good. I assume it recalibrated itself... I doubt it had anything to do with app, more likely faulty GPS

.... !!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre