Windows on Phone Hardware-Is It Here Yet?

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Reading Jason Ward's article about Microsoft's new approach to mobile devices, I get the impression that the HP Elite X3 has the correct hardware to run Windows on ARM - or however it is going to be called. Full windows on mobile device with phone.

This junk makes my head spin....x32...x64..UWP.....ARM processors....Snapdragon 820 etc.

My question is this. Will any device currently available run this new shell? The 950XL has the Snapdragon 810, if memory serves me one of the videos in the article said Snapdragon 820, the HP Elite X3 has the 820? Is it the development of the software that we are now waiting for?

What's the skinny?

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Good question! I don't think anyone really knows. It would make sense though, if Microsoft really saw Windows on ARM as the next big thing, to launch this with a whole new family of hardware devices for mobile. This could, most likely, be the much lusted after Surface phone.

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Good question! I don't think anyone really knows. It would make sense though, if Microsoft really saw Windows on ARM as the next big thing, to launch this with a whole new family of hardware devices for mobile. This could, most likely, be the much lusted after Surface phone.

Personally I could do without a "Surface" device, I just want a device that will run like my PC.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I think ARM running full Windows is probably over a year away. I just hope by current 735 is still running by then.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Dan and Zac have stated they don't believe any new hardware will see proper Windows on ARM. They demo'ed it on a Snapdragon 820 but I believe they are really developing it for the Snapdragon 835, thus there isn't a current phone that will receive that upgrade.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Dan and Zac have stated they don't believe any new hardware will see proper Windows on ARM. They demo'ed it on a Snapdragon 820 but I believe they are really developing it for the Snapdragon 835, thus there isn't a current phone that will receive that upgrade.

That means, obviously, that Microsoft, or possible a major third party, like HP or Alcatel, may possibly be working on such hardware to meet those requirements.

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
I will look back over the article because I thought in one of the videos there was somebody from a processor company talking Snapdragon 820....there was a demo of the desktop with multiple windows.

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
I will look back over the article because I thought in one of the videos there was somebody from a processor company talking Snapdragon 820....there was a demo of the desktop with multiple windows.

I've mentioned this before in this very forum, and I'll say it again. You are correct in that the Windows on ARM (WoARM for short) was demoed to be running off of a SD820, as per the video. What I believe Microsoft is trying to show here is that the technology that is WoARM is already here, and it's working/functional as it should, not just a mere concept anymore.

However, I personally believe that, as @twint7787 stated above, that Microsoft will only introduce WoARM with a device running at least SD835 because it is Qualcomm's next flagship SoC, and I believe it was mentioned in the video and the WCentral article that MS and Qualcomm are working together on this for the SD835. The only reason why they demoed WoARM on SD820 is to show that the technology is already present and it is already working, but doesn't mean it's optimized for the SD820 (remember that they didn't show what other hardware was used in running the demo).

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
I've mentioned this before in this very forum, and I'll say it again. You are correct in that the Windows on ARM (WoARM for short) was demoed to be running off of a SD820, as per the video. What I believe Microsoft is trying to show here is that the technology that is WoARM is already here, and it's working/functional as it should, not just a mere concept anymore.

However, I personally believe that, as @twint7787 stated above, that Microsoft will only introduce WoARM with a device running at least SD835 because it is Qualcomm's next flagship SoC, and I believe it was mentioned in the video and the WCentral article that MS and Qualcomm are working together on this for the SD835. The only reason why they demoed WoARM on SD820 is to show that the technology is already present and it is already working, but doesn't mean it's optimized for the SD820 (remember that they didn't show what other hardware was used in running the demo).

Got ya, thank you for the clarity of you reply! The amount of information on this forum can be hard to search through, so I apologize for you having to repeat yourself, but it is greatly appreciated!

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Got ya, thank you for the clarity of you reply! The amount of information on this forum can be hard to search through, so I apologize for you having to repeat yourself, but it is greatly appreciated!

nahh no problem. It's good to share knowledge among the community member here :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster