Hope we made the right decision sticking with Windows Mobile

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Enjoy your new purchases. All of us here, whilst necessarily not die-hard MS or WP fans, could be considered free spirits. We made the choice, of our own volition, to pick a phone OS we enjoy using and that meets our individual needs. That then makes Windows phone more of a personalised OS than iOS or Android. Sure, you may get more apps on both other platforms, but, you no longer have your own identity. Everyone else with an iPhone or Android will have the exact same user experience as you. There's a lot to be said these days for still being able to stand out from the crowd.

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
If there are not going to be new affordable phones by Microsoft, then I hope to see some phones like that from Alcatel or an OEM like that. Hopefully these phones are going to get those bigger updates...

Now when I'm mentioning it, it would be nice if Microsoft made a third insider ring, something like "official release". This would be for builds which are officially released by Microsoft, but not approved by the OEM. Also, in this ring users shouldn't be getting insider update for apps unless they want to. This would make third party Windows phones far more appealing.

Sent from mTalk on Windows 10 phone

QuadraFX

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
735, well... I don't know. My sister has 735 and two days ago I've tried to connect it to my Win10 laptop to transfer some photos / music. No success. Android phones work well with the same computer, just connected and I can work with all the files. L735 invisible all the time (I've tried all possible reboots and restarts). I end up with mSD card removed from the phone and connected via card reader.
But maybe it's just me.

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
You could have connected it via USB cable.

Or, you should have searched for your PC with your Lumia. It's true that sometimes this can be difficult before pairing the two devices.

anon(9603734)

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
If there are not going to be new affordable phones by Microsoft, then I hope to see some phones like that from Alcatel or an OEM like that. Hopefully these phones are going to get those bigger updates...

Now when I'm mentioning it, it would be nice if Microsoft made a third insider ring, something like "official release". This would be for builds which are officially released by Microsoft, but not approved by the OEM. Also, in this ring users shouldn't be getting insider update for apps unless they want to. This would make third party Windows phones far more appealing.

Just curious, would the Release Preview ring not already do that? I'm on Release Preview on an unbranded/network unlocked L950 and I get the updates.

But that's a Lumia device, so I'm not sure how Release Preview works on OEM devices or carrier branded/network locked devices and whether it 'bypasses' OEM / network approval though?

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
I will stick to window mobile but if Microsoft will make only high end phones in near future then I can't afford it

Sent from mTalk windows 10
I suspect that MS will initially release the W10onARM on someone else's hardware. The "Surface" phone may happen, but they don't have a wide variety of hardware now, one model of each device. Windows 10 is on a lot more brands than Surface. XBox and Holo are rather unique and are the only hardware running their respective W10 version (I believe), but I think MS will let the W10onARM run on other company's hardware.

Last edited by a moderator:

QuadraFX

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
You could have connected it via USB cable.

Or, you should have searched for your PC with your Lumia. It's true that sometimes this can be difficult before pairing the two devices.

Right, I was using USB cable... mostly due to transfer rates USB vs Bluetooth. I did not try Bluetooth connection, maybe I should, but I thought the USB connectivity should be rock-stable.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I am not sure about surface phone! Microsoft first needs to develop full multitasking windows mobile ! I don't know how many more times I can stick with my Lumia 540! I am getting frustrated because I can't use social site peacefully due to outdated fb & messenger apps for windows mobile ! And most importantly multitasking facility rare to find in windows mobile! I don't want to shift to android or iPhone but if Microsoft continuously ignoring & abandoning its own mobile platform then I don't have choice to move on! I am not sure about you & your wife decision bro! I

You've referenced your ability (or lack of) to multitask in several threads I've read.
Perhaps it's not the OS, could be your Lumia 540 ...

I've got a Lumia 950XL, W10M runs smooth as silk ... though I don't use Facebook or Messenger.

petvas72

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
Sometimes when resuming Facebook the phone lags. Another example is WhatsApp. Resuming takes always 5-6 seconds. Other apps are running smoothly but that doesn't change the fact that the whole experience of using the device is ruined by these important apps (for many people).

deepak12345

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Sometimes when resuming Facebook the phone lags. Another example is WhatsApp. Resuming takes always 5-6 seconds. Other apps are running smoothly but that doesn't change the fact that the whole experience of using the device is ruined by these important apps (for many people).

The only app that does not lag *much* that is developed by *facebook* for windows is instagram *sigh :/

Sent from mTalk

deepak12345

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
You've referenced your ability (or lack of) to multitask in several threads I've read.
Perhaps it's not the OS, could be your Lumia 540 ...

I've got a Lumia 950XL, W10M runs smooth as silk ... though I don't use Facebook or Messenger.

Well using a 930... The experience isnt unusable but really really slow as if i was using an old device that wasnt made to run such an os.And we cannot blame the facebook apps alone the whole os is buggy...laggy..slows down at times.. Heats up...to be exact totally inconsistent experience!! Well the current situation of windows 10 mobile is exactly what android was at the time when windows phone 7 released... And now the tables have turned.

Sent from mTalk

petvas72

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
Sometimes the keyboard will lag too. Most of the times though the experience is really smooth. I can't deny though that I too have experienced lag on my Lumia 950xl. As much as I hate to write this, my HTC 10 offers a mich better user experience. If only it run Windows 10. I am going back to my HTC 10 as my daily driver, mainly because I need a reliable smartphone and I also miss some apps.

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
Just curious, would the Release Preview ring not already do that? I'm on Release Preview on an unbranded/network unlocked L950 and I get the updates.

But that's a Lumia device, so I'm not sure how Release Preview works on OEM devices or carrier branded/network locked devices and whether it 'bypasses' OEM / network approval though?
No, Release Preview is not the same as what I had in mind. Right now there are Production ring (official), Release Preview ring (slightly faster than Production), Show ring, and Fast ring. So if you join Release Preview ring, you will receive new builds before their release (mostly) and you will receive some builds "in between" too. Simply said, you would get updates more frequently than once per month.

But besides this, Microsoft can send you not just OS updates earlier and more frequently, but they can send you their app updates too. For example, to join Viber insider you need to subscribe for that to Viber team, but when you join insider program with your phone, then you automatically join insider program for all Microsoft's apps. These application versions may not be as reliable as official versions of those apps.

That's why I wouldn't like insider to be my only option with my (hypothetically) third party Windows phone. I would like to be able to have the exactly same treatment with my third party Windows phone as with this Lumia 730 I have. On my own risk, of course! I mean since those phones can get insider builds, why shouldn't I be able to get those more reliable ones. :)

Hopefully Microsoft will introduce this when more third party devices show up.
Right, I was using USB cable... mostly due to transfer rates USB vs Bluetooth. I did not try Bluetooth connection, maybe I should, but I thought the USB connectivity should be rock-stable.
Yes, Bluetooth is slow as hell compared to a cable.

Which OS do you have in your PC? It should work easier if you have Windows 10. But even on older OSs it should work well. Have you tried it with installing Windows Phone app for Desktop? Also you can go into Settings in your phone, then in Devices, and then pick USB. Then you check the option Ask me before something other PCs to connect with my mobile device using USB. This could help too, try that first. :) I used to have some issues like that with connecting to my Windows 7 PC. Reinstalling those drivers for Windows Phone (if there are any of them installed) may help, together with reinstalling Windows Phone app for Desktop.

How this helps you.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
My wife and I decided last spring that we would try to hang on to our three year old Verizon Lumia 822s for one more year in expectation of a 2017 Surface Phone. Here we are a year later, and now Surface Phone is 2018 (if ever) and our now four year old 822s were seriously needing to be replaced. We won't go back to Android because we have Surface Books and Office 365 (i.e. MS owns us) and I don't trust Google to not to screw over MS users again the way they did when we bought our first gen Surface Pros and found that Google had intentionally broken the ability to push GMail to the Surface Pro because of their feud with Microsoft. We got rid of our Android phones and GMail and swore we'd never go back.

So the only choice is iPhone, but once we go that route, we're gonna be locked in and we're just not ready to bail on Microsoft yet. Verizon is practically giving away the Lumia 735 ($120 new) so we decided to buy them outright with no contract, still hoping there's going to be a Surface Phone next year. If not, then...

Anyway, these 735s are much better than our old 822s, and Windows 10 is much nicer than 8.1. We're not big app users, so we hope we can plug along with LastPass, TuneIn, Pandora, Amazon, Fitbit and the few other apps we use. I can't believe I can't find a simple reusable checklist app, but I figured out a OneNote workaround. My wife is bummed out that PowerTasks is no longer available, but she'll make do with Outlook recurring tasks.

Anyway, we love the way these new phones integrate seamlessly with our Surface Books and here's hoping that there will actually be a Surface Phone that we can eventually move up to.

Myerlist, UWP for both desktop/mobile. Prepare to be floored.

You can personalize quite a lot. You can delete an item or if you want to reuse it just cross out. The difference is which direction you swipe. Surprised no one knows about this.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Anyway, we love the way these new phones integrate seamlessly with our Surface Books and here's hoping that there will actually be a Surface Phone that we can eventually move up to.
IMO, you will do fine. I switched a year ago from android and have been mostly happy. Yeah, I wish I had a working Starbucks app, but that's it. Waze, Banking, Ring Video Doorbell, and office all work. Edge is a bit slow. That's really my only complaint. I often use Opera instead.

MS gave me the 950xl last year, but I was always frustrated by the small screen, crappy speaker, and power button in the middle. I bought an HP Elite X3 and am happy. I, also have a SGS6 from work and borrowed one of our Iphone 6 units for a month - Blech.

Sent from mTalk

Talldog

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
All of us here, whilst necessarily not die-hard MS or WP fans, could be considered free spirits.
See, that's the thing. We ARE diehard MS and WP fans. My wife and I are older (as you can probably tell from my avatar) and we're both longtime IT programmers. I work in IT security for a large corporation and my job involves writing .NET internal C# and VB.NET applications and PowerShell scripts that interface with Active Directory, frequently with SQL Server back-ends.

My point is, we love Microsoft technologies, regardless of how out of fashion they might be. We will hang in with Windows Mobile (or Windows 10 on ARM, if that comes to pass) as long as we can. As long as the critical stuff (like LastPass) is still there.

HM84

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
OP, you'll be fine for a bit with the new phones. I don't get the still persistent doom and gloom on this damn forum. It is so blatantly obvious that MS has something bigger cooking that ISNT going to be called a phone. Whatever it is, it's going to be premium and new.... thus big bucks too. Their continued improvement/work on to continuum should be about all the proof these doom and gloomers need. We haven't had any flagship consumer phones for a while, and while irritating, just shows how fickle "fans" are. It's a phone, does it make calls, texts, basic social media requests, yes to all. We can't snap chat, but we all aren't 12yrs old. Would love to see the new Surface device slogan be "Be productive, not popular".

I know it sounds like doom and gloom, but really it is frustration. I am all about flagships, so my aim is (for now) on the Elite and the Idol, neither of which is available where I live. Faisal is reluctant to go for a flagship only to be tied to social apps that don't cut it. For these situations (...and forgive me for not having statistics but you know that...) there are many subscribers, and until the continued work you are referring to is felt, all that would come out is gripes that sound like doom and gloom. This is what makes Talldog doubt our collective decision.

As frustrated as I am, I am still hanging around, but I wouldn't mind having the right to be fickle about it.

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
@OP, I wish you and your wife the best with you mobile endeavors. I can say from personal experience as an avid Microsoft user who's been using Windows Mobile/Phone since the Samsung Blackjack i-607 in 2007, I'm done supporting Windows Mobile on a phone.

Some would say, that you have no identity when you go to iOS or Android. That's ENTIRELY NOT TRUE! I have a Blu Life XL running Android that's running lollipop 5.1.1 and will run circles around Lumia 640 XL. Using custom launchers will make it look vastly different than other Android devices. I can't say the same for iOS, but the narrow minded mentally of some Windows users is really sad.

The only reason why I bought my Blu for $60 was to try out Android since I needed either an iPhone or Android to be able to do my job effectively. I used to bash the competition and say I'll never leave Windows Phone; I would be the last man on earth using a Windows Phone. Seeing how smooth my wife's iPhone 6s plus runs trouble free, I did a 180 in my opinion of the competition. You can still enjoy the wonders of Microsoft and their plethora of apps available on the other two OS's without being tied down to their ecosystems. My point in all this is if at some point, you become bitten by the curiosity bug, don't be afraid to open your minds and try it. Don't stay closed of and in the dark as I once was.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb