Hope we made the right decision sticking with Windows Mobile

BritDad

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Just in case: you do need to unlock the phone by entering the pin number, otherwise the PC will not see the phone in the Explorer/file manager even when connected via USB cable.

BritDad

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
My wife and I have gone from Lumia 820s with WP8.1, to Lumia 950s with W10M, and our children are also happy with their 930s on W10M. Integration between mobile use and laptop continues to work really well. I hope you continue to get enjoyment out of your 735s for the future.

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
You made the wrong decision.

Windows 10 Mobile is dead, most companies are not buying into the UWP platform, apps are dropping at an alarming rate.

I'm a Microsoft platform developer and have talked with reps, support, and other developers.

Microsoft has no plans for Windows 10 mobile or phones in general, they have already lost that market and know it.

They are trying to find the "next big thing" and their strategy is moving towards a universal os on any device with no designation of if it is a phone nor not.

This is great because one OS runs everything but at the same time its terrible if developers dont build apps to take advantage of it.
And right now companies are not buying into UWP.

Maybe somewhere in the future there might be more support but anytime soon is unlikely.

All Windows mobile users are going to see for a while are more apps being discontinued, fewer to zero updates for Windows 10 mobile, and less support.

When they released StaffHub (this is Microsofts new corporate staffing platform) and only built iOS and Android apps I was shocked.
When I talked to them directly and they told me there were zero plans of any kind of Windows app (UWP or phone) and to just use the browser that was when I realized just how dead Windows phone really is.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Re: aka TennisGuy4,
You say, "You made the wrong decision."

Don't be ridiculous. Don't be pompous.

Phones are just phones and no one is thinking that which phone we use is a critical decision we are stuck with, for a lifetime.

Today, my Windows phone does everything I need it to, and like other mobile phones, many many things I don't care about.

All your points, make no difference to me today.

I think people should use and support what they like or be part of the problem.

A happy Windows phone user.
Best Wishes

Last edited:

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
So you make a thread posing the question whether you made the right decision then when someone posts a potential answer to the question and provides support for their answer/opinion you call them ridiculous and pompus?

Why make the thread?

I never said you are stuck with the phone, you are being purposefully obtuse.

Windows phone does make calls, send text, and can access the internet. It also does have a small selection of apps.

I never implied it was useless. I still use my Windows phone as well.

You can stick your head in the sand if you want but the reality is Windows Phone is dead and Microsoft has zero plans for it.
I'm not a hater, and I am not making this up.
My own phone app is the biggest reason why I'm still here.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
@OP, I wish you and your wife the best with you mobile endeavors. I can say from personal experience as an avid Microsoft user who's been using Windows Mobile/Phone since the Samsung Blackjack i-607 in 2007, I'm done supporting Windows Mobile on a phone.

Some would say, that you have no identity when you go to iOS or Android. That's ENTIRELY NOT TRUE! I have a Blu Life XL running Android that's running lollipop 5.1.1 and will run circles around Lumia 640 XL. Using custom launchers will make it look vastly different than other Android devices. I can't say the same for iOS, but the narrow minded mentally of some Windows users is really sad.

The only reason why I bought my Blu for $60 was to try out Android since I needed either an iPhone or Android to be able to do my job effectively. I used to bash the competition and say I'll never leave Windows Phone; I would be the last man on earth using a Windows Phone. Seeing how smooth my wife's iPhone 6s plus runs trouble free, I did a 180 in my opinion of the competition. You can still enjoy the wonders of Microsoft and their plethora of apps available on the other two OS's without being tied down to their ecosystems. My point in all this is if at some point, you become bitten by the curiosity bug, don't be afraid to open your minds and try it. Don't stay closed of and in the dark as I once was.

Are you sure you mean "done with Microsoft Windows Mobile"? I would think you are more like me and done with this version of what Microsoft has to offer on mobile devices. If the next thing from MS is different and perceived better than what we have now, I, for one, will be back in a flash. done just sounds so final.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
So you make a thread posing the question whether you made the right decision then when someone posts a potential answer to the question and provides support for their answer/opinion you call them ridiculous and pompus?

Why make the thread?

I never said you are stuck with the phone, you are being purposefully obtuse.

Windows phone does make calls, send text, and can access the internet. It also does have a small selection of apps.

I never implied it was useless. I still use my Windows phone as well.

You can stick your head in the sand if you want but the reality is Windows Phone is dead and Microsoft has zero plans for it.
I'm not a hater, and I am not making this up.
My own phone app is the biggest reason why I'm still here.

May I ask, what is the name of your app so I can give it a try? Thanks.

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
TennisFreak is the name of my app.

Its very specific to tennis fans and currently has a bug and a few small updates needed.

Bug: News sources you choose not to receive still show in the news panel, but the app will not grab articles for them.

Update needed:
Money leaders: My provider stopped giving this data but I have yet to pull it from my app so those screens are empty.
Yahoo News: Yahoo stopped letting get the entire article and showing it inside my app, so it just shows the headline and if you try to display the article it will tell you to go to source.

I know the app needs an update but just have not had the time and since there are zero users I have not been motivated.

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I honestly can't believe anyone is still rockin' a WP at this point. I understand a web browser is about all you need for a smartphone to function, but even that is lacking on W10M/WP8.1. I understand your reluctance to use Android, I tried it for 3 months and gladly gave that phone to my mother. I have been using an iP6+ since last February with no significant complaints. Is it exciting? No. Do I feel that iPhone is the future of mobile computing? No. But IT EXISTS, unlike the mythical Surface Phone. Even if the Unicorn of mobile computing did come out, MS would probably slap it into an exclusivity deal with Sprint or whomever the worst phone carrier they could find in [insert country here] is.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I honestly can't believe anyone is still rockin' a WP at this point. I understand a web browser is about all you need for a smartphone to function, but even that is lacking on W10M/WP8.1. I understand your reluctance to use Android, I tried it for 3 months and gladly gave that phone to my mother. I have been using an iP6+ since last February with no significant complaints. Is it exciting? No. Do I feel that iPhone is the future of mobile computing? No. But IT EXISTS, unlike the mythical Surface Phone. Even if the Unicorn of mobile computing did come out, MS would probably slap it into an exclusivity deal with Sprint or whomever the worst phone carrier they could find in [insert country here] is.

Glad you have found what works for you, that's important.
I came from Android and iPhone (Blackberry too but that's another story). You couldn't pay me to go back as long as Windows mobile is still rockin', and it is. Full integration with my laptop and Surface, the UI is the most user-friendly in my eyes, and I don't have to use iTunes! Nothing mythical about it and it will only get better.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

Why make the thread? ...

You DO realize Kevin Rush is NOT the OP.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I honestly can't believe anyone is still rockin' a WP at this point. I understand a web browser is about all you need for a smartphone to function, but even that is lacking on W10M/WP8.1..

Edge is pretty great on mobile. More and more websites are understanding the value of a dynamic site adjusting to the screen size and updating so that it works well on all screen sizes. Definitely feels like app fatigue with those sites especially when it's just for browsing a website.

Yes apps are still needed for specialized things to do.

I can't believe people are so happy to be pigeon holed into one or two options and call it a day. I thought people generally protest/raise the alarm over monopolies :)

petvas72

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
I returned yesterday to my HTC 10 running Android Nougat, and I can say, despite the lack of Win10 integration (at least not on the same level as WM10), it was like a breath of fresh air! Everything is faster, there are no lags whatsoever and the quality of the apps (even the most basic) is much better. I am using Nine (Exchange ActiveSync client), and it is much better than anything that Microsoft has ever done on mobile.
I really like Windows 10 and I liked WM10 too, but currently the mobile platform is far inferior than the competition. The OS seems half baked. It makes you want to use it, but it doesn't work as it should.
When Microsoft gets really serious about mobile, I will return to whatever incarnation they bring to the market. For the moment I will stay with Android and enjoy using WhatsApp with my wife, with no lag (WhatsApp takes 4-5 seconds always to resume on WM10, for reasons that I cannot understand).
I will of course keep using my Surface Book, which I love and hope that one day Microsoft will do the same for mobile..

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
When they released StaffHub (this is Microsofts new corporate staffing platform) and only built iOS and Android apps I was shocked.
When I talked to them directly and they told me there were zero plans of any kind of Windows app (UWP or phone) and to just use the browser that was when I realized just how dead Windows phone really is.
Ouch.. That was in January of this year. Not a good sign!

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Glad you have found what works for you, that's important.
I came from Android and iPhone (Blackberry too but that's another story). You couldn't pay me to go back as long as Windows mobile is still rockin', and it is. Full integration with my laptop and Surface, the UI is the most user-friendly in my eyes, and I don't have to use iTunes! Nothing mythical about it and it will only get better.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

Could you elaborate a little on the "full integration" your W10M phone provides that an iPhone or Android does not? I have a 1520 with W10M and a Nexus 6 that I use daily with Microsoft apps and I have yet to discover anything my 1520 does better that my Nexus does not.

No salt, just curious.

Talldog

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Uhh...I'm the OP and I never called you anything.

Talldog

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Myerlist, UWP for both desktop/mobile.
I checked it out, but I need an app that can uncheck all items in one shot. I have checklists with dozens of items that I need to be able to reuse. Recurring tasks won't work because they aren't used on a schedule.

This link for Onenote Templates might offer some help.
The problem isn't templates. It's very easy on the PC to create a reusable checklist. Create a list, select all, click the tag icon to tag everything with a checkbox. To reuse, select the entire list, click tag to check any remaining unchecked items, click tag again to remove all checkboxes, then click tag again to put empty checkboxes on all items again. It was actually more work to type that last sentence than it is to do it. The problem is that on the phone it is very cumbersome to select all text in a note. But it does work.

Beyond all that though, I can honestly say that after a week with these new phones, we couldn't be happier with our decision. I have nothing against Android or iOS (It's Google I have a problem with, not the Android OS), we just like Windows Mobile. We'll stay on it until the lack of support or apps (or phones) forces us to change.

drevdaug

Sep 18, 2016
Visit site
@ OP, I keep wondering if I made the right decision as well. I upgraded from a Lumia 928 to the Lumia 735 less than a year ago, hoping it would bridge the gap until a newer device would be released on Verizon's network. The 735 is nice, I have had a few issues with it, but for the most part, it is a good phone. The eBay app is buggy for me, which stinks. The phone resets itself here and there, which I believe is due to the insider build.

I really like how my phone, surface pro 3, my computers, and xbox all work together. For work, we have Windows 10 computers, with gmail, google docs, etc, and an iPhone 6S(and some people have iPads). Very disjointed compared to what I have for personal use.

With that said, I am going to try to hold out as long as I can... and hopefully some new devices will come out that are worth the wait!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers