Mobo/CPU Upgrade & Windows 10

signal-2-noise

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking at upgrading my desktop's motherboard and cpu in the near future. I want to do this without reinstalling Win10 due to games/applications/settings. Is there a good guide on how this is possibly achieved? I know there will be issues with drivers and such. Looking for experience from those who've done this.

Thanks in advance!

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
You can try using sysprep to generalise the install, then plug the hard drive into the new motherboard.

I have not tried this windows 10 so ymmv.

Just copy and paste this into command prompt running in admin priveleges = sysprep\sysprep.exe

The full directory is C:\WINDOWS\system32>sysprep\sysprep.exe.

This will launch this dialogue box:

Sysprep.PNG

Click generalize and Shut down click okay, let the programme run and shut down, follow the on-screen prompts as necessary after you have plugged in the hdd/ssd containing your windows 10 install onto your new motherboard.

Given that Ryzen is due to launch soon, I will try to put up a guide using my dying laptop running Windows 10 as a test guinea pig.

signal-2-noise

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
^
Whoa! Cool beans! I shall investigate this further and possibly try it out. Thanks!
I am not a fan of AMD cpu's but I will be scrutinizing Ryzen when released and see if it's worth the switch. At best Intel will likely drop their chip prices at that time too.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Moved to appropriate area...

Windows 10 How-To Guides is for write ups of prepackaged solutions... Not for leading questions on issues not yet resolved.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babukapyar