Why does my brand new Lumia 650 take around 10 seconds to open the messenger app?

uncuckedsupreme

Feb 24, 2017
Visit site
Hello, I have a brand new out of the box Lumia 650 and it takes 10 seconds to load the messenger...It sounds pretty slow for a new phone, is this normal? Can someone help?

Additionally, is it safe to use a gmail client that is unofficial and give them my email details?

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Totally normal for some its over 15 seconds, that is if you are referring to the FB messenger App, the service runs slow even on more powerful devices.

matt john2

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
It's been months(if not a year) since all FB apps got an update and if you're expecting other apps will be smoother then you're dead wrong brother some(kidding, most) apps didn't even get an update for years if at all . Sooo, I think you've made a big mistake picking a Windows Phone IMHO if you're expecting fluidly fast and buttery smooth apps. Just get a decent Android Phone instead if you want your apps up to date because that's not gonna happened here any time soon(if at all).

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
If you mean Facebook Messenger, I can't say as I don't use it. If you are talking about Microsoft Messenger, it take about 3 seconds on my 650.

Vasil Dechkov

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
Hello, I have a brand new out of the box Lumia 650 and it takes 10 seconds to load the messenger...It sounds pretty slow for a new phone, is this normal? Can someone help?

Additionally, is it safe to use a gmail client that is unofficial and give them my email details?

The app itself is ported from iOS because Facebook doesn't seem to care enough to make a native app for Windows. In other words, the app is crap. There are missing features, sometimes crashes, you can't view all photos in a chat etc. It's usable but in a huge need for an update. My friends won't stop blaming the entire OS for the poor performance of the app, which is wrong and I have to prove them wrong every time.

About Gmail, why don't you link it with Outlook?

Sent from mTalk

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Don't use messenger much but yes it does take a while to open. Below are the approximate numbers I got for 650/950 with third being from background.

1st open 650 = 25 sec/950 = 21 sec (first launch of day w/app closed)
2nd open 650 = 8 sec/950 = 5 sec (subsequent launches after first, w/app closed)
3rd open 650 = 1.5 sec/950 = 1 sec (from background)

As you can see the extra horsepower of the 950 isn't making a huge difference.

Nasses

Feb 25, 2017
Visit site
Facebook in windows phone is bretty slow. Also facebook desktop app have same problem. No idea why they dont make it good. Example twitter works great in desktop and windows phone. Sometimes my facebook wont open at all but usually it will open. It's true that facebook dont update their app in windows store. Maybe because they dont see reason for it

Faisal Islam2

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
Same here on my Lumia 540 ! It takes 15 sec to open messenger! It's Facebook who is responsible for this! Facebook developers developed an buggy & slow apps for w10m

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Totally normal for some its over 15 seconds, that is if you are referring to the FB messenger App, the service runs slow even on more powerful devices.

As mentioned, this is normal. Consider this an embodiment of Microsoft's unofficial 'coming soon' slogan, in the sense that you have to wait.

SL2

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
It takes 18 seconds to start Messenger on my 950 after I've started the phone, and about 22 for FB. Even cutting the time in half would make me happy at this point.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
It's because of the poor development it's not optimized for the Windows os and 1gb devices. Lazy development by lazy developers

Sent from Idol 4s

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
It's because of the poor development it's not optimized for the Windows os and 1gb devices. Lazy development by lazy developers

Sent from Idol 4s

I personally wouldn't be so quick to label it as lazy especially considering the state of WM and MS's indecisiveness with the platform. Another change-of-direction would mean any effort devs put into an app now would just result in another reboot, where's the enticement in that?

shadow118

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I personally wouldn't be so quick to label it as lazy especially considering the state of WM and MS's indecisiveness with the platform. Another change-of-direction would mean any effort devs put into an app now would just result in another reboot, where's the enticement in that?

How is a messaging app requiring 2GB of RAM not lazy development?

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
How is a messaging app requiring 2GB of RAM not lazy development?

Many apps (all platforms) came out of the gate far from being shining stars and required constant updates to improve. I see Messenger for WM being no different except that MSFT's indecisiveness in where their platform is headed has caused devs to lose interest, lose interest in bringing forward those updates that would or could improve the present anomalies within Messenger.

Just look at all the apps that have vanished or haven't been updated in years. If one looks at the big picture you'll soon realize laziness is far from the reasoning for such.

shadow118

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Many apps (all platforms) came out of the gate far from being shining stars and required constant updates to improve. I see Messenger for WM being no different except that MSFT's indecisiveness in where their platform is headed has caused devs to lose interest, lose interest in bringing forward those updates that would or could improve the present anomalies within Messenger.

Just look at all the apps that have vanished or haven't been updated in years. If one looks at the big picture you'll soon realize laziness is far from the reasoning for such.

Both Facebook and FB Messenger have pretty terrible performance, missing features and require at least 2 GB of RAM, while Instagram, which is also owned by Facebook, works just fine and gets frequent updates.

SL2

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Both Facebook and FB Messenger have pretty terrible performance, missing features and require at least 2 GB of RAM..
Do you mean 2 GB RAM in total, or available for apps?

My 950 have 1,5 GB available for apps, and those (FB) apps takes about 20 seconds to start.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss