What do you like best about Continuum?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Simple question for those that have been using Continuum for some time (or even for those that have just started). What do you like best about it?

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
The silence. I have this huge gaming tower with fans and a hard drive going all the time, and by comparison using my phone as a computer is wonderfully quiet. Also nice not having to boot it up or shut it down - just plug to play and unplug when done.

Aside from that, being able to play Minecraft on a big screen with a mouse/keyboard or Xbox controller, then take the same device and savefile to play on the go on the phone is very novel. It's like a Nintendo Switch before it's time.

One more I forgot, having a direct 4G connection to a PC experience. It almost feels like I'm cheating my ISP out of tethering data :p

mryan55

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
I didn't think about the "free tethering" point of view yet, but that's 100% the case, especially with all of the US carriers going back to unlimited data but with limited tethering allowances. Good point!

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I recently have a work laptop now... But still have all my other stuff at home. I use continuum to keep my work and private life as separate as possible! Also work network has port blocking so can't easily connect remotely... but my phone data doesn't have this issue! :)

Wireless continuum to my work laptop works, though I would like to try an X3 to see if the lag is almost negligible. Well maybe even Creators update will help my 950XL with that.

mryan55

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
Originally posted by anthonyng
I recently have a work laptop now... But still have all my other stuff at home. I use continuum to keep my work and private life as separate as possible! Also work network has port blocking so can't easily connect remotely... but my phone data doesn't have this issue! :)

Wireless continuum to my work laptop works, though I would like to try an X3 to see if the lag is almost negligible. Well maybe even Creators update will help my 950XL with that.

I have only used Continuum wirelessly, both on my 950XL and now on the Elite x3. I can say that the experience on the Elite x3 is smoother, using the same keyboard/mouse combination and the same Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter. I wouldn't say it's worth the upgrade if you have a 950XL and everything is going well with it.

However, as we all know, many of the annoyances of Continuum will persist whether you use a 950/XL, Alcatel Idol, Elite x3 or any other Continuum-ready devices... simply because these problems are software limitations. For all the processing power of the SD 810 in the 950XL and the 820 in the x3, I can't believe how slowly Edge renders some pages in Continuum... but I think we all know about these type of quirks!

Rather than mess with HDMI or DisplayPort cables, I simply have used the Continuum docks to connect my USB wireless keyboard/mouse combo and left everything else to be done wirelessly.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks @mryan55 will see how creators update affects things! Unless you already know! :)

As for Edge, I do avoid ad heavy sites, for mobile views, I like what aircanada.com and outlook mail has done as positive direction in web page development.

mryan55

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
I haven't used the Creators Update. My main Continuum machine is an HP Elite x3, which has issues getting firmware updates in insider builds so I haven't messed with it at all.

From some of the details that are surfacing though it looks like there should be improvements.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnsa3