Is Microsoft Listening?

FirstWatt

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
As long as Microsoft cannot get (or mandate) its staff - especially the developers - to use its mobile platform (even as work-only phones), they'll never be invested enough to resolve the problems with the platform.
Spot on.

And I strongly believe in Management by Example.
The contrary of what that Belfiore Clown did, sporting everything else than a WP, back then (no, I'm not talking about his phone used during his sabbatical).

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Instead of putting an option to enable a text reply to a missed call, they chose to change contact pictures from square to circles.

Aw, man?! Does that mean I need to stop using that text reply feature that's on my W10M and Laptop? I get notifications of the missed call, on my phone or laptop, and I can send a text reply from the notification. Sorry. I didn't realize that feature didn't exist. I'll stop using it right away.

Hey, maybe Microsoft isn't listening, but you can be sure the NSA and CIA always are according to the Vault 7 dump by WikiLeaks. So don't feel bad. At least there's someone out there who cares enough to listen.

James Edge

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft hasn't listened in years, I still remember getting my 930 as an upgrade and being devastated by how inferior to the 920 it was :(

All I want is a normal sized (non-plus) phone that has a good camera, wireless charging and Lumia Glance. But the 920 was the last one they made that did all three so when mine broke I had to move to a Sony Xperia Z3c, such a shame as Windows Phone is a good O/S just let down by Microsoft buying out then ruining the best hardware company (Nokia).

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Microsoft doesn't care for windows phone users anymore.
They can release and upgrade a software for android/iOS, but not for us.
The circle shaped one handed keyboard for iPhone?

Microsoft lost hopes too early on windows phone.
Windows Phone was loved by its fans, and had a niche following.
Apple used to be a niche name till iPhone came. But they always kept their fans in mind.

First, as much as we might dislike it, it makes sense for MS to do what they are doing on iOS and Android. They are a software company and they have to go where the dollars are. That means allocating resources to those areas. They want things like Office on every device, everywhere. It's a cash cow and they would be foolish not to take advantage of those opportunities. Also, comparing to Apple is pointless. Apple had a cult-like following that has never been seen on that scale by any company regardless of product. No one has found a way to duplicate that.

I get frustrated, too, but I force myself to look at it from a perspective other than that of a ****** (which I am, to a degree). When view it that way you see that, in most areas, Microsoft is doing what makes most sense for the financial health and future of the company.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
First, as much as we might dislike it, it makes sense for MS to do what they are doing on iOS and Android. They are a software company and they have to go where the dollars are. That means allocating resources to those areas. They want things like Office on every device, everywhere. It's a cash cow and they would be foolish not to take advantage of those opportunities. Also, comparing to Apple is pointless. Apple had a cult-like following that has never been seen on that scale by any company regardless of product. No one has found a way to duplicate that.

I get frustrated, too, but I force myself to look at it from a perspective other than that of a ****** (which I am, to a degree). When view it that way you see that, in most areas, Microsoft is doing what makes most sense for the financial health and future of the company.

Agree.
Can you imagine a company like them having to listen to and please every ******? Impossible. There are too many variables and processes to be a successful company. MS is doing the right thing to ensure a secure future. Of course we all hope that includes a phone to our liking, but we'll have to wait and see.

The talk around here is similar to what I heard on CrackBerry. BB10 came to market too late and lost the battle to the two giants, even though it was a very good OS. Fans screamed they just needed more marketing, should get more app developers on board, should make one more phone. Of course none of that would work. Their move to Android raised screams from people saying they would surely fail, weren't listening to fans, had lost their mind, the CEO was stupid, etc. etc. I see today their stock is up over 12% because they outperformed expectations. It takes time and courage to change course in the face of adversity. I am comfortable riding along with MS to see where this journey goes.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Actually, that idea only makes sense. I wouldn't be too surprised if they don't also do the same when the Iphone 8 comes out this fall. Remember, MS makes hardware more as a reference to sell their software and services. They may not care about people buying Windows Phones but they certainly care about people using Office (vs. Google Docs), SQL Server (vs. Oracle), and now Azure (vs. AWS). Since worldwide Android sales are at 90% or more, they definitely want to be in the space.

Also, they've recently stated they're looking at more than mobile devices. The HP X3 I use is a first stab at this new world. I see the S8 will have DeX as a similar feature to Continuum. Think about cellular enabled devices running in your car or using low-powered ARM for household tasks.

Note that I'm even using a Microsoft launcher on my (work) Android device and have access to over a dozen Microsoft apps. I'm sure Iphones have a similar experience (though I don't think you can change the launcher).

Screenshot_20170331-133519.png

Neill Baldwin

May 16, 2015
Visit site
I don't disagree that at this point they are doing what they have to to be profitable. I guess I just feel like I got snookered when Microsoft bought the hardware division of Nokia.I should have known better. Nokia were the only ones I saw promoting WP( mainly the 1020) but not much from Microsoft. But I believed they must have had big plans and I bought the 950, them the bottom dropped out. No advertisement, promotion, or anything. Their market share went from what, around %3 to less than 1.

tomakali

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft Should have two versions of Phone Business

Microsoft Lumia Series = Samsung Dex Android with Microsoft Apps
Microsoft Surface Phone = W10 with futuristic vision

mohammad Al-nabulsi

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Let's face it... there are not many of us left, comparably, to the global mobile community. We test, we send feedback, we deal with the highs and lows but we are faithful. I just got a replacement 1520 for my failed one... and I have an 830 and a 925... oh and a HTC 8x too.

I'm tired of the endless upgrades to get back to the OS version I want... and I can't imagine it would be very difficult for Microsoft to implement two improvements:

Running WDRT, provide a list of up to date base OS options common to that device so we can install that version directly.

Being able to create a manual backup which is not susceptible to being overwritten. Allow us to name it from the device and control it's characteristics (read only, baseline, etc) in Onedrive.

I know I'm not the only one who bemoans the these tasks when getting a new device or resetting because of an issue with a new build.

I also realize Microsoft is extremely interested in the upgrade process to ensure customers get the most reliable experience but I guarantee you there is no value in OUR endless upgrading a vanilla device from 8.1 --> 8.1.1 --> TH1 --> RS1 and soon --> RS2.

I have submitted these in the Feedback hub, lets hope they are still listening.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
what features u got? none of the long standing bugs have been resolved, only reason u see the updates are due to common code base, so they keep bumping up the builds without "any" meaningful update to mobile.

Rod Iron

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
No MS quit as soon as Nutella took over. They can spin it anyway they want but the stats show the truth. Yeah they are still talking about it and sending updates but to who?? There's hardly anyone left to receive them. CDMA was completely abandoned. That was an awesome message to customers so no they couldn't give a crap.

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I follow Dona Sarkar and Jen Gentleman, developers of Windows 10 and avid fans of Windows Phones.
I just don't know how much influence they have over Microsoft business decisions.

nathanstorms

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
Nope, they don't care, and I don't care about them anymore. It is one of those "I wish them the best in their future endeavors" kind of moments. Even if they shipped a surface phone and it was awesome and amazing, I wouldn't buy it, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone not only have they abandoned the market but the have left the enthusiasts out in the cold to die. I am pretty sure the only people left on Windows Phone and want to be are the enthusiasts and Microsoft don't give a ****. From a brand perspective, Microsoft has done significant damage, and I think it is too late to fix it.

So what is next? Android the Nokia Edge 2017 exactly, it is an amazing Lumia phone except it runs Android. Then it is just a matter of time before I switch my entire eco-system.

Nokia Edge 2017 Price ,Launch/Release in India & Specification, Features (Trailer Video)

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
So what is next? Android the Nokia Edge 2017 exactly, it is an amazing Lumia phone except it runs Android. Then it is just a matter of time before I switch my entire eco-system.

Nokia Edge 2017 Price ,Launch/Release in India & Specification, Features (Trailer Video)

At this point in time, it's nothing but vaporware. You can't make calls, text, surf the web, or take pics with vaporware. I understand it may be a concept, but that doesn't mean it will ever be real. I can't imagine Nokia jumping into the fire with a flagship phone after their failure with Lumia.

jeremy taylor3

Jun 14, 2016
Visit site
I have a lumia 950 with OS build 10.0.14393.953 and my calendar has day, week, month and year views. Not sure which version you are running but I'd check

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99