No More Movie Maker; What's the best free option?

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Just did a clean install and then upgrade to Creators build 1703; the old Windows Live Movie Maker is gone and has disappeared into the sunset, forever...

What is the best free alternative? (I know about all the paid $$$$ ones....)
I'm still wondering why Microsoft does not have a native movie editing app built into Windows 10; for example: iMovie. My Mac friends laugh about this 'omission' :cry:

Leonel Funes

Windows 10 & Xbox Champion
Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
You can still download Windows Essentials from this CNET link - and yes, it's a safe link.

I don't do much video editing, so Movie Maker is often. A surprisingly good alternative is PowerPoint. Microsoft has this post on how to do it with PowerPoint 2010, but it isn't much different on newer versions.

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
You can still download Windows Essentials from this CNET link - and yes, it's a safe link.

I don't do much video editing, so Movie Maker is often. A surprisingly good alternative is PowerPoint. Microsoft has this post on how to do it with PowerPoint 2010, but it isn't much different on newer versions.

Thanks for your quick reply, but I had already tried this, and it doesn't work; the install file gets 'stuck', and after about 3 minutes or so, I get an error message. I've tried this on 2 different builds of Windows 10 now, and get the same error...
Microsoft has ended support for this program; you can't get it anymore from their 'official' site anymore.

instll error.jpg

Attachments

• install error.pdf
    207.3 KB · Views: 67

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Tap in.

I'm using Movie Maker right now. Guess if I even have to reset or uninstall the program it will be curtains. Curious to see what alternatives come up here.

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Just did a clean install and then upgrade to Creators build 1703; the old Windows Live Movie Maker is gone and has disappeared into the sunset, forever...

I'm still wondering why Microsoft does not have a native movie editing app built into Windows 10; for example: iMovie. My Mac friends laugh about this 'omission' :cry:

I am running Insider Preview Windows 10 Version 1703 (OS Build 15063.0)

My Windows Movie Maker is still present and working.
Not only that, after reading your post, I decided to restore/reinstall Movie Maker 6.0 which is part of Vista.
It installed fine and is now up an running.
Now I have both Windows Movie Maker on my system.

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site

Not only that, after reading your post, I decided to restore/reinstall Movie Maker 6.0 which is part of Vista.

Thanks for your input David. When you do a clean install, you lose Windows Live Movie Maker. I've got 2 other computers at home still running it (for my wife and child). Can you point me to the Vista version 6.0? I tried CNET and found an older version (NOT Windows Live Movie Maker, but just Movie Maker; the icon looks different). I installed it, and it opened up; before I could start using it, I noticed strange things happening on my computer. Right beside my screen cursor, the little 'circle' kept flashing on and off; then...all of my Office apps (Word, Excel, OneNote etc) stopped working. I couldn't get them going no matter how hard I tried, so I uninstalled the Vista version of Movie Maker, and had to reinstall my Office suite. I hope it didn't mess up anything else....

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Still get this:

error.jpg

So...after some investigating: the Vista version 6.0 is what I installed earlier, and it's called Movie Maker 2.6 Wow - what a blast from the past; I used this for years making family videos. The placeholders/storyboard along the bottom brought back fond memories! But...earlier today when I installed this, it made my computer go all wonky; I had to uninstall. I'll try installing it on a different drive, and see if this works....

Last edited:

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Still get this:

View attachment 134625

So...after some investigating: the Vista version 6.0 is what I installed earlier, and it's called Movie Maker 2.6 Wow - what a blast from the past; I used this for years making family videos. The placeholders/storyboard along the bottom brought back fond memories! But...earlier today when I installed this, it made my computer go all wonky; I had to uninstall. I'll try installing it on a different drive, and see if this works....

2.6 Movie Maker was only for Vista and Win 7 machines that were unable to run the "regular" 6.0 WMM.

I use this link which has both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.
Blaine's Movie Maker Blog: Installing Windows Movie Maker 6.0 on Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10

I have used this link to install 6.0 version for at least 2 years now. I can vouch for it.

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
2.6 Movie Maker was only for Vista and Win 7 machines that were unable to run the "regular" 6.0 WMM.

I use this link which has both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.
Blaine's Movie Maker Blog: Installing Windows Movie Maker 6.0 on Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10

I have used this link to install 6.0 version for at least 2 years now. I can vouch for it.

I've got good and bad news:

The Bad: when I went to the page you recommended, and downloaded Version 6.0, it installed fine, but...when I tried to import all the videos from my Lumia 950 XL, I got a codec error saying it couldn't read my mp4 files.

The Good: on the same 'Blaine's Movie Maker Blog' page, he has a link to a page where he has the actual Windows Live Essentials install package. I downloaded and chose Movie Maker and Photo Gallery (they come together) and yes...it works just like before! This Movie Maker version reads my mp4's perfectly.
Thanks for all our help!

http://movies.blainesville.com/search/label/windows10

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
I've got good and bad news:

The Bad: when I went to the page you recommended, and downloaded Version 6.0, it installed fine, but...when I tried to import all the videos from my Lumia 950 XL, I got a codec error saying it couldn't read my mp4 files.

The Good: on the same 'Blaine's Movie Maker Blog' page, he has a link to a page where he has the actual Windows Live Essentials install package. I downloaded and chose Movie Maker and Photo Gallery (they come together) and yes...it works just like before! This Movie Maker version reads my mp4's perfectly.
Thanks for all our help!

Blaine's Movie Maker Blog: windows10

I have the offline installer saved last year. I got it from https://www.howtogeek.com/286552/how-to-replace-windows-essentials-2012-after-support-ends-in-january/How-to Geek website.
I was to give the link to you but I found out the link no longer allows me to download the offline installer. I thought maybe MS has pulled it.
So I did not post that link.
Strange that you have a link that still works.

Stefan Holder

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Originally posted by davidhk129
Originally Posted by darrell reimer

Do you mind sharing the install files for movie maker Vista version?

krisguy

VR Expert
Sep 30, 2007
Visit site
I've been playing with DaVinci Resolve (link) a little bit since I started streaming on Beam last year. It's a linear editor designed for their editing hardware, but they give most of the functionality away for free.

wsoftvn

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

Try this app: https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...-free%2F9mvfq4lmz6c9%3Frtc%3D1&token=WKaSZ5I_

And this is a demo video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89ClzUwN62A

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
I caved and purchased Adobe Photoshop Elements and Premiere combo pack for $89 to use on my SP2017. It's not the subscription CC versions. Getting used to Premiere and like it a lot. I've installed on other PC's with no issues.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I caved and purchased Adobe Photoshop Elements and Premiere combo pack for $89 to use on my SP2017. It's not the subscription CC versions. Getting used to Premiere and like it a lot. I've installed on other PC's with no issues.

My copy is a bit old now but I've been using Premiere Elements for years now and it's a great solution. In fact, I'm waiting to see what the 2019 version has to offer before upgrading again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sobiyalinnd