Why use OTA Upgrades (Not Updates) for Windows 10 Builds?

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
Since the Windows 10 Creators Update will be rolling out on April 11, I'd just like to express my opinion of the OTA upgrade process that Microsoft suggests we follow. First, there is no way to check the integrity of the downloaded files before they are installed to the computer. We cannot be certain that there is an internal file hash check. The only way to be sure is to download an ISO file that can be hash checked for integrity. Second, I always do a in-place upgrade after the new upgrade. This can only be done with an ISO file. If I don't, remnants of the previous build seem to linger in the new build, causing bugs and issues with the latter. Why doesn't Microsoft openly advertise this in-place upgrade feature? Probably half of the inquiries people post on Microsoft forums and this forum about upgrade problems can be solved by doing an in-place upgrade. Even downloading an ISO is tricky because Microsoft does not post file hashes on their Media Creation tool page (which frequently downloads incomplete ISO's anyway). The ISO hashes can be found on the MSDN Subscriber Downloads site, which is not directly accessible from the Media Creation tool page and is somewhat misleading unless you know what you're looking for.

Why doesn't Microsoft advertise ISO upgrades for PCs? It's not like PCs are limited like phones are. It would save everybody a lot of trouble. Either that, or at least document in-place upgrades a bit more and directly provide a way to check the integrity of downloaded files. :wink:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills