Hi guys. My girlfriend wants to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Is it still possible to do this for free or would she have to pay (which she wont)? If there is a legitimate way to do it for free could someone link me to it

Thanks!
    04-03-2017 09:24 AM
    Last time I tried you could still activate Windows 10 with a Windows 7 key (even after the end of the free upgrade offer), so just install 10 and enter your Windows 7 product key if/when prompted. I'd recommend doing a clean install if possible in which case you will be asked for the key, you might not get asked for it if you decide to install over the top of your existing Windows 7 though. Make sure you use an up-to-date Windows 10 installation disc (you can download this for free from MS) as the original ones didn't accept keys for earlier Windows versions.

Once it is installed check in Control Panel > System to see if has been activated online successfully, in which case your PC now has a licence stored on MS's servers (tied to the hardware) should you need to reinstall W10 in the future.
    Josiah23 and greenberry666 like this.
    04-03-2017 09:56 AM
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/e?l...token=AT3LwiYE

There is a Microsoft Link for a Windows 10 ISO but you'll need an activation key during installation I think. I'm sure the Windows 7 key might work but I'm not too sure.

If it works then hay key will to your current hardware, so try not to change much.
    04-03-2017 09:56 AM
    Thanks guys!
    04-03-2017 10:22 AM
    I would answer "yes" but only is you use "assistive technologies".

OK, this is only for people who REALLY uses that features because has some kind of disabilities!

http://forums.windowscentral.com/e?l...6)(1544997)()()

Otherwise, no, you will need to pay for the new Key of your Windows 10.
    Josiah23 likes this.
    04-03-2017 10:41 AM
    Hi guys. My girlfriend wants to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Is it still possible to do this for free or would she have to pay (which she wont)? If there is a legitimate way to do it for free could someone link me to it

Thanks!
    The answer is ..... yes.

Apparently, Microsoft's left hand does not know what its right hand is doing.

You can still do the normal free upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10. You don't have to cheat by abusing the Assistive privilege.

Please read this article published on January, 2017.
    Here's how you can still get a free Windows 10 upgrade | ZDNet

P.S. Do it Now before Microsoft pulls the plug, or seals the plug ?
    Last edited by davidhk129; 04-03-2017 at 10:37 PM.
    Josiah23 and eKeith like this.
    04-03-2017 10:52 AM
    There's a couple of loopholes you can use. I feel like Microsoft planted these loopholes on purpose to give people who can't afford to upgrade another chance to jump to the new ship.
    04-04-2017 12:38 PM
    AH, it's the Assistive privilege one....it still works, I used it like 2 weeks ago to upgrade a old laptop... More to see if it was still working..
    04-04-2017 08:12 PM