Windows surpassed by Android?

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Well I wont say I dont agree, but are they courting devs for consumer apps for hololens? No, they are only after enterprise, did u see the windows podcast or something with Mary Jo Foley, Paul Thurrot and MS marketing head.
Mary Jo put a question to him as to why MS lost the mindshare with hololens, why they didnt market it etc etc and that MS guy was genuinely surprised, he cited enterprise interest and how enterprises are showing immense interest in hololens, and then I got their problem, if their marketing head is clueless abt consumer perception and how to get consumer attention then u r bound to fail in the consumer market, if they expect devs to come on their own, it wont happen.

Tre Lawrence

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I don't believe Apple can be used as a model for what works. They are unique in the corporate world in that they have a cult-like following and have for decades. People with a religious-like zeal that will never consider any other company because they actually believe that there is something unique about Apple products that can't be duplicated or bested by any other company. If it was something that could be done by any company, some company would have accomplished it by now. I do agree that, for this reason, the doomsayers are kidding themselves if they believe that Apple is going down. The evidence is that their followers will buy whatever they produce without ever questioning whether there is something else that's better (and I'm not saying that all Apple users are like this, but a large chunk of them are and Apple can rely on that).
Trust me, every platform has these.

pallentx

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't think that is the case. The folks I know who prefer MacOS are photographers, graphic designers and musicians. MacOS works better for their needs. It has nothing to do with them following Apple as if it were a religion.

How does MacOS run photoshop better than a PC? I always hear this from artist types - that they need a mac because they do graphics. The same software runs on both. There's nothing magical about a mac as far as artists getting work done. I used to do video editing on a mac, then I got Premiere and After Effects no a PC and they do exactly the same thing.

Sean D.

Aug 18, 2008
Visit site
When it's all said and done, what does it matter to anyone here? Why do any of you decide to get so bent out of shape over this trivial, likely temporary crap?

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Lol if you ask this question you do not fully understand what's going on. Of course you must compare this because they are both computer platforms and in the future everything will be mobile. There is no future for desktop. So if Android takes over, then Android will start offering solutions for big screens for when people need that. Hell, they are already doing it and Samsung already did it.

RohanRonQM

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
This is the consequence of Microsoft not pushing Windows on Phones and Mixed Reality as much. The so called "retrenchment" has only caused headaches for long-time Windows users.

The market share (overall) of Android and its competitors are increasing every day.

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
If you haven't visited Android Central in a while, they published an article that Android is the most-used OS in the world, taking into account desktop, laptop, tablet, and mobile.

Android surpasses Windows as the world's most popular OS

What do you guys think? Should we be concerned about this? Should we separate each form factor for a clearer picture? Is this nothing of interest?

Yes I do think we should care. With an a clearer unclear future of windows 10 mobile and UWP the choice for mobile will only be left for android and iOS devices. With android adoption the market choice a will have changed for many windows users. There will be more choice in device and apps. But I still forsee many practical issues. Such as cross platform compatibility of legacy software to android, androids policy on data security (android is known for open sourcing and sharing data you don't want to share, so android must be transparent about it), android policy on being able to use microsofts productivity suite as the default service instead of google. And then there are some personal things with the android. user interface I have have to get used to and think the windows phone UI is better at. Bit I think that could be solves if microsofts upcoming composable shell. The windows mobile seems more direct, elegant, getting things done with less distraction and better at a meaningful glancable view. But those are my personal views of the UI. Having more choice of device is a breath of fresh air from the windows mobile platform, bit I will surely miss the Nokia pureview and quality lenses. That will remain uniquely microsoft and Nokia.

OLUBAJO KAYODE

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
If you haven't visited Android Central in a while, they published an article that Android is the most-used OS in the world, taking into account desktop, laptop, tablet, and mobile.

What do you guys think? Should we be concerned about this? Should we separate each form factor for a clearer picture? Is this nothing of interest?

I don't even understand the basis for the comparism, but what I know is that the comparism has to do with internet access. But come to think of think Android is a more popular phone OS and most people reverts to their desktop or laptop to do the other more important work with Windows.

Withheld

Feb 10, 2015
Visit site
Regardless of slow, declining sales, the only stability has been with personal computers and enterprise. The volatile mobile only needs a must have innovation to make the mightiest of giants disappear overnight.

bobsentell

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Yes and no. Yes, because it is obviously a threat that Microsoft should take seriously. No, because Android is at its core a mobile OS and Windows is a desktop OS. There are simply things you can do on one that you cannot do on the other. I think Microsoft moving Windows to ARM with system32 emulation will be a great hedge against Android.

I also wonder how many of those Android devices are throwaway IoT devices that, yes, technically count as Android but have limited functionality.

kapil Matta

Mar 29, 2017
Visit site
It does matter.
PC, or mobile. They are just computing devices.
Microsoft let go whatever share they had of mobiles.
And now, they are marginalized in computing industry.
PC's have their own place, as of now, but no one knows the next curve.
Thanks.

buzzard75

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
I don't think it's surprising that Android usage is on the rise and Windows usage is dropping. It's been happening for a while now and you just have to go back into our technological history of computing devices to understand why. When phones were phones and laptops were ridiculously expensive (they still are in some cases), or even before they existed, the one and only way people originally accessed the internet was through a desktop. Windows was certainly more popular than its competitors, i.e. Mac and Linux. It had a massive adoption rate as the one OS that everyone was using. As time went on, phones got replaced with feature phones that had limited internet capabilities and then eventually smartphones came around. This increased the number of Android and iOS users, but didn't significantly impact the number of Windows users. People still needed their computers for stuff. During that time people also began replacing their desktops with laptops because they wanted to be more mobile. Still no real affect on the user base since they were still probably using a laptop with Windows on it. Continuing down that path though, tablets were introduced shortly thereafter and became the new laptop. The average person who just wants to browse the internet, look at Facebook, check their email, and watch cat videos doesn't need an expensive desktop or laptop to do it any more. Especially when they can get something smaller and cheaper like a tablet. If you have a choice between a bulky, heavy, expensive laptop or a slim, lightweight, inexpensive tablet, and they can both accomplish what you want to accomplish, which one would you pick? I think smartphones are what really introduced people to the wider world of mobile computing. They saw what it could do, but it wasn't quite enough to get them to throw their PC's in the trash. It did however give them an introduction to the functionality of a tablet. The tablet is what changed everything. The mass production of cheap tablets (and parents feeling the need to give one to every whiny kid in their house) is what has significantly increased the user base of Android and even iOS. More so Android tablets as they are obviously cheaper than any iPad device. You going to give your kid a cheap $50 knock off tablet of their own running Android or let them use your $800 iPad? Hmmmm...

To be worried, or not to be worried, that is the question. I say not to be worried. Windows will always be around. For content creators and professionals, there are just some things you can't do on a tablet, or that you can't at least do as well on a tablet, as you can on a laptop, desktop, 2-in-1 or what have you. Microsoft recognizes this. That goes for OSx as well. If you notice, the OSx numbers are fairly constant. Most people who have an OSx device probably also have an iPhone or an iPad and use all three for unique tasking, therefore the OSx user base was unaffected by the introduction of smartphones and tablets. I think you will eventually see a point where the Windows user base will plateau and even out as well. What that percentage is though, I don't know. Just depends on how many more people realize they don't need a large, heavy device to watch cat videos on and switch to tablets. And how many more kids they have.

Me personally, I have a desktop. For the longest time it was my only device next to my old Motorola flip phone. At some point I bought an iPod as well. The flip phone eventually got replaced with a smartphone. I wanted to be more mobile so I bought a laptop. It died several years ago and was replaced by an Acer netbook because I realized I needed something smaller and lighter for what I was using the laptop for. I still used my desktop for heavy computing like video and photo editing anyway. The netbook was in turn replaced by a Kindle Fire HD. I figured I still had my desktop so I didn't really need the netbook. The Kindle Fire HD started giving me some issues and I was this close to replacing it with a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 last year. That was until I put my hands on a Microsoft Surface Pro 4. For mobile computing, it really is one of the best devices on the market, but it ain't cheap like all the other mass produced tablets out there. And no, my whiny kid never gets to touch it. Funny thing is, I haven't had a need to do any video or photo editing as my wife takes care of most of it now. I haven't turned my desktop on since probably last summer. Had I bought the Samsung, there'd be one more Android user on that chart and one less Windows user.

Last edited:

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
No if you mean specifically Android but yes if you're talking about a changing computer paradigm. We should care that desktops are irrelevant for large portions of the world.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos