One heck of a week for W10 Mobile. What's everyone feeling?

Luuthian

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
Seems like a lot of news got dumped this week on the W10 Mobile front. Most of it ambiguous, some of it a let down.

How is everyone feeling about this? We've got the Galaxy S8 Microsoft Edition, an announcment that most Windows Phones have been axed from future updates (normally this is routine news but with it's 2-year update cycle that is a lot of now axed models), and even Windows Central seems to be a bit on edge with the UWP article (which was extremely well written IMO).

Do you think this is a sign of things to come? Is MS just wiping the slate clean before they take their next mobile step? What the heck has this week made you feel in regards to W10 Mobile and how MS is handling it?

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
giphy.gif

Wes Smith

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
I have come to a conclusion that no matter what, wp will be around. Sure there maybe only 10 of us left in the end but it will never be a 100% gone. Windows Phone will be around.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Reading the articles this week is kind of depressing, but we like the platform and will keep using it until it doesn't work for us any more. I'm hoping that is a long time and they will make some improvements in the future as well.

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Well like someone has stated in this forum before, being a WinPhan does not make sense.
We've been through its ups and downs before and I guess will just roll with this one.

Though admittedly this could be the hardest time being a WinPhan ever what with apps dropping support left and right.

It seems to be these app developers are just following Facebook's lead as a lot of these bad news came after Facebook's announcement of dropping Messenger support for 8.1

Take note though that most of these apps being dropped are WP8.1 apps.
Could be signal that it's time to move on from WP8.1 and move to W10M

BrunoMG

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
Should I say more?
Need I say more than I already have around here?
Microsoft couldn't care less about w10m users.....all 58 of them

Travis Flenker

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
The saddest part for me is that going to Android/iOS feels like a huge step backwards in terms of UI/look/feel. I use those two on a somewhat regular basis and using them just makes you feel like you're using a UI designed in 2008.

I'm going down with the ship, but I'm afraid the ship is on the verge of capsizing.

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
I'm honestly excited about the future. There's some bumps and bruises along the way but this is a pretty unique os and it sounds like (even if it's not official) that they have some big plans for the future.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm honestly excited about the future. There's some bumps and bruises along the way but this is a pretty unique os and it sounds like (even if it's not official) that they have some big plans for the future.

I agree with this statement.
What is there to be excited about with iPhone and Android? To me its just more of the same (but please keep buying our overpriced products and believe all the hype). MS has plans, and you may not agree with them, but at least they're not just following the crowd.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm thinking I'd still rather have a W10M device.

I have an iPhone 6 plus I use for work and I have had it a month....it's not growing on me. In fact, I am carrying two phones. I have considered selling my 950's and getting a good Hemdroid phone but I have not been able to bring myself to do it. I can use a Anroid because the App I need is ios or android. I can forward the phone calls and the app works on both......I have an android I used for a week to make sure it all works, I still do not like them. It's hard to put into words, I don't like the mail apps, even outlook on android is different. I have not found anything on android remotely close to Cortana, she works good for me!

I here this new update isn't going to be any big deal, I am fine with that, keep fixing the bugs MS.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I have come to a conclusion that no matter what, wp will be around. Sure there maybe only 10 of us left in the end but it will never be a 100% gone. Windows Phone will be around.
Yes. And when all apps are gone, WM will be the king of feature phones!

Luuthian

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
At the very least it's been interesting how much news hit the W10 mobile front this week. Even if it wasn't happy news, for the most part, at least there WAS news. The silence has been deafening IMO. It's better to at least be given some hint that MS might be moving on rather than languishing around and waiting for drip feed news...

It's articles like this that make me sad though: Windows 10 Mobile review | Universal Apps, Edge, Continuum and more - PC Advisor. The UI is just amazing IMO. With some love it would easily be one of the best phones on the market. Having a screen that feels "alive" when you hold it is really cool in concept.

I keep hoping W10M will turn itself around so I can go out and buy a Windows Phone again. This week made me feel like that's never going to happen now. I was so stoked for continuum but seeing Dex, and the fact microsoft helped them make it, just makes me feel like the ride is coming to an end.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Dex, and the fact microsoft helped them make it

Maybe it wasn't made clear, but I got the idea that Microsoft didn't necessarily help with Dex itself, but they optimized their Office apps for DeX. That's what I gathered from the Samsung demo.

Is there something I missed?

Chemy JMHT

VR Expert
Nov 6, 2016
Visit site
Well does anyone know something about the project to work with the ARM CPUs so far?

If MS lets the other companies to take all the Mobile market, they for sure will take the desktop market too.

Why I think that? because the ability to process huge amount of data and algorithm is increasing in the mobile market, having a computer can be a thing of the past, maybe will be need a dock station (like the one for the Dext or maybe as simple as the Nintendo Dock) but eventually we will do everything in a mobile device, I few years ago was totally impossible to read a Doc file in a mobile device, a few years ago was crazy to think you could edit an Autocad File in a mobile device... you get the point, eventually you will be able to do that as good and confortable in a mobile device as in a Desktop PC, so why develop to the least popular device.

I remember in 2015 the most popular way to browse Internet were the smartphones, right now smartphones are used for more and more and the OS of the most smartphones is not from MS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb