Predictive text

techiedude007

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it is much worse and sometimes seems to reset (forget everything) after some updates get installed. It seemed so smart and fluid before; now it's a carp shoot...

DallasXanadu

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Once upon a time, I was impressed with webOS 2.0's text correction. It was simple, but unobtrusive and quick to undo its changes if I hit backspace. It was a nice step up over what I saw as iOS 4/5's somewhat overzealous autocorrect although typing on the Pre's physical keyboard helped precision greatly over me ham-thumbing my way through iOS's still excellent virtual keyboard.

Your mention of webOS almost brought a tear to my eye. Life hasn't been the same since I used the wonderful keyboard on the Palm Pre.

On a similar note, I've also noticed that it takes me three tries generally to tap on a word and highlight the entire word. That's something I find myself doing a lot these days, mainly due to the topic of this thread.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Is it just me, or does predictive text on 10 mobile feel inferior to 8.1? Instead of suggestions based on what I've typed, it seems quite certain that I've mistyped and suggests words with completely different letters, right up until I only have one or two letters left. On a positive note, it is relearning my particular world, and now knows that Margarita Tuesday is a thing. However, it no longer suggests the poop emoji after I type "I have to..." That always made me smile.

It 100% has gotten worse, I've been thinking it's felt terrible for a while but thought it might just be in my head, seeing other people bring it up makes me much more confident that there is definitely something wrong

DallasXanadu

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I think I just figured out why my typing has been so miserable in general on 10. On my 830, if you have the keyboard pushed to the right or left, there's really no room to shift the whole keyboard. But it does try, which makes the letters scrunch together and get smaller. Centering the keyboard stretches it back out, giving my fat thumbs more room for error. I didn't even realize I had it moved to the right, to be honest.

SvenJ

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I would say, yea, Win 10 Mobile isn't as good as 8.1 was. That's purely impression, but I distinctly recall being impressed by my 920/1020/1520, to the point that I commented the Wordflow feature was nearly clairvoyant. Way better than what was going on with iOS and Android at the time, including third parties. The current implementation on my 950/XL isn't nearly as impressive, and is un-impressive fairly often. It's not bad, but I think my Pixel's stock swipe input is at least as good if not better. Don't remember to switch to that sort of keyboard enough on the iPhone to have a legitimate opinion.

joshcsmith13

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
No Question!! Windows 10 mobile keyboard Sucks!! It is probably my biggest complaint about the OS these days (besides apps not being available and disappearing) I've been with MS since forever, and up to Win 8.1, the keyboard was just getting better. Now, the Shapewriting stinks. You'd think that if you tediously traced the letters for a longer word that it should have a better chance of getting it right because there would be less chance for similar words, but no.... It often just truncates the typing and throws whatever word it can find that starts with a few of the same letters. This is INFURIATING!!!

memo_182

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Win10 Predictive text is my number one reason to switch platforms. 8.1 was far superior and somehow they ruined it with 10. I've been going on the MS feedback hub since the dawn of 10 complaining about it, but seems like they don't care.

n m

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
You are so right!
Predictive text is amazingly unpredictable now.
8.1 was fast and fluid but it's a poor shadow of it's former glory today.
Constantly adds wrong words, makes up words that don't exist, all in all a horrible experience now.....but sadly in the mobile space, 10 is a poor shadow of what 8.1 was in pretty much every aspect of the OS.

Is it just me, or does predictive text on 10 mobile feel inferior to 8.1? Instead of suggestions based on what I've typed, it seems quite certain that I've mistyped and suggests words with completely different letters, right up until I only have one or two letters left. On a positive note, it is relearning my particular world, and now knows that Margarita Tuesday is a thing. However, it no longer suggests the poop emoji after I type "I have to..." That always made me smile.

zr2s10

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone else have the issue where, when using an app, the prediction and auto-correct will stop working altogether? I've noticed this, at least on Facebook, regularly happens. I don't know if it's because the app is trying to predict "tags" (which I should have the option to turn off, but that's Facebook sucking), but it's really annoying. Also, when it changes the first word of a sentence to a completely different word, when the original word was correct and a real word? Maddening. Or when I'm one letter off, and it gives a bunch of options to change to, and half of them aren't real words? I've scrolled through trying to find the right word, which ISN'T in the list, and see a bunch of gibberish instead. Inexcusable.

G4Grandad

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I've just spent twice as long as necessary to complete a questionnaire (keyboard wouldn't even attempt that word using swipe) for my energy supplier. I counted 23 other everyday words that the predictive text wouldn't attempt, that needed letter by letter input and that failed to appear in the suggestions. On re reading this post I also had to change 3 words that had changed AFTER I'd moved past the correct word that was showing?? Irritating (I typed "infuriating", which I had to manually input in a post yesterday and still doesn't show up. And every time i type i its lower case as mentioned so often here. And the way it always leaves a gap as above between correct and word after I've had to correct something, but the gap isn't there in the edit I'm looking at??

Last edited:

welsbloke

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I use the predictive text via swipe and its now terrible when compared to when I first used the swipe function. Its infuriating and my experience it does not learn very well if at all.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
The word flow keyboard not only doesn't predict well, there's no learning like in Swype or Swiftkey, and it isn't as elegant (had to pick that word out) as the Microsoft Hub Keyboard available on Android and the other OS.

Sent from mTalk

rc2080

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Actually, the worse thing for me is that both the predictive text and word flow all seem to prioritize the names of people in my contact list over actual words. Sometimes my word flow messages just end up being a bunch of names strung together.

DallasXanadu

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Actually, the worse thing for me is that both the predictive text and word flow all seem to prioritize the names of people in my contact list over actual words. Sometimes my word flow messages just end up being a bunch of names strung together.

I noticed that too. It'll really come in handy for that fraction of 1% of the time that I start a word with br and actually want to type Brittany.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Just noodling around, found this:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...windows-phone-8-keyboard/#jrBFOSOj3izKxFF3.97

I wonder why they abandoned it. I can't type for $&#T on the Windows 10 keyboard. Which reminds me, do the two lines on the space bar indicate anything? I haven't been able to make it do any tricks or anything.

well that explains it all really, team behind it is fired and maybe they own the tech, I mean there HAS TO BE a reason why they havent ported wordflow to the rest of w10 versions, specially tablet, which has a keyboard capable of making your hair go up in flames, what a waste

Denyerec

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely.
WP8.1 was almost psychic whereas WP10 is borderline psychotic.

I find typing an incredibly frustrating experience, so I use the voice detection 99% of the time now which is actually incredibly good. Unless you don't have a data connection, of course, because for some stupid reason it demands that you're connected to the internet for voice recognition (Despite in one operating mode it working just FINE without a data connection, demonstrating that MS are forcing the connection requirement, rather than it actually being necessary.)

So very, very frustrating. I wish I could go back to 8.1.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte